A new star is born - Polar 35mm f2 the Leica King of Bokeh’s Arnold twins

There's no point to garner interest if you search there's barely any info / review or places to buy that have it in stock it seems.
However it certainly looks better than the 'CHINA' labelled LLL. The china symbol on the LLL lens lens ring was a cool aesthetic touch and more than enough labelling imo.

There's no point to garner interest if you search there's barely any info / review or places to buy that have it in stock it seems.
However it certainly looks better than the 'CHINA' labelled LLL. The china symbol on the LLL lens lens ring was a cool aesthetic touch and more than enough labelling imo.
Arhhh, Mr. Zhou, the LLL owner, I am not sure he is a proud CCP nationalist, clearly the label is over done on his lens with MADE IN CHINA, ironically, a replica of foreign products. I am still thinking the root of traditional Chinese culture also the traditional writing is in TAIWAN, ROC.

Last edited:
I would venture that all optical designs being produced today, whereever they may be manufactured, are derived from earlier optical designs
Perhaps it started in Middelburg, The Netherlands with Hans and Zacharias Janssen who are credited with the invention of the first compound microscope circa 1590. They were followed by well-known free riders like Galileo Galilei, and Robert Hooke. Some 90 years later, the ultimate free rider and copyist, Antoine van Leeuwenhoek invented the first high-powered single-lens microscope. Cheers, OtL

Arhhh, Mr. Zhou, the LLL owner, I am not sure he is a proud CCP nationalist, clearly the label is over done on his lens with MADE IN CHINA, ironically, a replica of foreign products. I am still thinking the root of traditional Chinese culture also the traditional writing is in TAIWAN, ROC.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not highlighting the racist card; I don't care where it's manufactured as long there's good QC. I'm just pointing out from a aesthetic pov. I don't like over branding/ labelling of a product stuffed in our faces. The china symbol is a cool aesthetic touch by LLL that's more than enough. Similarly with Leica SL having the Leica symbol and the overt 'LEICA' brand name is too much imo aswell.

For the record, I carefully evaluate all the products I buy and I take all things into consideration... including where the products were manufactured.

My money, my choice... period.

Mike

Most cars have round tires on them. Most cars have four of them, two up front and two in the back. The ones up front can have there orientation changed.
Double-Gauss design with floating optics.
Freeriding.

If you've ever watched over the shoulder of an optical engineer while they work, you get some respect for what goes in to designing a lens.
There is a difference between starting with a basic optical configuration and ending up with a working lens versus reverse engineering an existing design and implementing it. The latter is much more difficult. My engineers used a device that measured surface curvature and an Abbe refractometer. Theirs had a bank of index-matching oils that were mixed to match the glass being examined.

The shift to Digital sensors has had a huge impact on the optical path required to record an image. The angle of light falling on the sensor all of a sudden had to be taken in consideration. Bummer for the optical engineers. Now all the light had to come in at about the same angle. Techniques used to clear SLR mirrors now needed on Rangefinder and Mirrorless cameras. Big lenses, retrofocus wide-angle lenses, long optical paths. Lions, Tigers, Bears. No freeriding.

We'll see what happens with this new company. I use 3M polishing Sheets designed for optical connectors for a final pass after filing down lens parts. Years of taking apart J-3 and J-8 lenses: figured out how to make the focus action much smoother. Reverse Engineering and improving Soviet Focus Mounts that were themselves an improvement on Zeiss focus mounts.

Last edited:
The Photographs of the lens in the above link are on the quality level of an Ebay seller that knows nothing about lenses but found this one at a garage sale. Also picked up some car tools and took the pictures after working on their engine. Blotted out the Serial Number of the lens shown.

If the manufacturer cannot be bothered to have some professional looking images of the Lens made to promote it, why do they think anyone would buy it?
Rank Amateur. I do not "diss" a lens based on where it was made, but look to see how it performs and how well it is made. This one- has a number of strikes on it. Why would anyone buy this when TTArtisans and 7Artisans offer similar focal length and speed?

Last edited:
The photo on this site is much more like what I would expect, given the barrel finish which looks quite nice:

View attachment 4832488
Look at the Black Paint on the edge of the mount- it is already flaking. That will get on the sensor of a camera, especially mirrorless cameras and the M11.
I learned that lesson the hard way when converting a Konica 50/1.7 AR-Mount SLR lens to RF-Coupled Leica mount. The Paint that I used to eliminate reflections from the RF cam I made flaked, got onto the M8 CCD. I had to redo it.

I was referring to the plating on the mount, comparing to the previous pic.That black should be ceramic coated.

The mount is better- Looks like a pre-production prototype, where they are still revising the specific issues found.

The company needs to get it to people to test and evaluate, not just throw out for sale for ~$900.

Back