A7 with Some LTM, M mount lens

Use the LR 5.3RC or use DNG Converter 8.3RC to process the RAW files.. I used DNG Converter 8.3RC to convert them in .DNG and process in LR 4.4..

I have to upgrade to LR 5 soon anyway - I've been sitting at 4.x for long enough and I figure I may as well get in there soon.

I've used the DNG converter in the past for various other cameras and I like it but since the camera will be supported in LR 5 at some point, I'm going to go that route - the RC may be a good option since it may offer me the opportunity to see what LR 5 is about compared to LR 4.

Cheers,
Dave

The WATE and the 21 Lux were both reported to work well in case you missed that post

I didn't miss that, in fact I highlighted it for you by posting the link. So the A7R is leagues ahead using these wides. The misconception that the A7R is not good with anything below 35mm is BS. Even Sony have stated that the A7R is designed with a microlens design which is absent from the A7.

point being - it's not a situation where you can throw on any wide angle on the A7r and expect good results whereas the number of wide lenses reported to work well on the A7 are many more

Links to demonstrate this?

So, I'm making no bones about this. I bought an A7 simply because I'm too cheap to buy a Leica M and wanted a full frame platform for my M-glass. My main lens is a 35mm Summicron (version 3), so I'm very concerned about how the A7 might handle this lens. The camera came in the mail last night and I was pretty happy with the snap shots I took. Wide open, there was some vignetting, but I didn't notice any smearing or color shifting at all. And closed up a bit, the lens seemed sharp across the frame.

Then, this morning I decided to take a couple of test shots to see if the lens would smear.... and I'm not sure what I am seeing or if it even bothers me at all. I thought I would ask you guys for advice.

Here's a shot at f8:

closed by The Jalopy Journal, on Flickr

And here's the shot wide open at f2:

open by The Jalopy Journal, on Flickr

Obviously, you can see the vignetting. That doesn't bother me at all. However, what is that I see on the upper left hand corner? Would that be what a real photographer calls "smearing?"

Thoughts?

I've seen so many test images of foliage, but when viewing, it is difficult to know what peripheral blurring is due to the peripheral image being out of the image plane and what is attributable to sensor-lens performance.

Agree with bwcolor, try the same exercise on a brick wall where the focus plane is even.
I am curious about the performance from the Summicron both 35 and 50 as i could be investing in an A7 next year.

I've seen so many test images of foliage, but when viewing, it is difficult to know what peripheral blurring is due to the peripheral image being out of the image plane and what is attributable to sensor-lens performance.

That makes sense. I'll do that... with both the 35 and 50 cron.

And with that (taking photos of a brick wall) .... Rangefinder Forum suddenly became DP Review..

*smirk*

:D

Cheers,
Dave

(p.s. I know that this is the best way to test the lens/sensor compatibility... I just couldn't resist making the remark.. heheheh.. :) )

And with that (taking photos of a brick wall) .... Rangefinder Forum suddenly became DP Review..

*smirk*

Cheers,
Dave

(p.s. I know that this is the best way to test the lens/sensor compatibility... I just couldn't resist making the remark.. heheheh.. :) )

it's like the ending of all good debates - Godwin's Law hehe :)

Yeah, I'm sort of ducking my head in shame... I need to just shoot and get better as a photographer. This whole "full frame" deal has me ahead of myself a bit.

I think it's a fair request though - you'll definitely be able to find out if it's "smearing" by shooting the brick wall or even text in the same plane. I usually am not concerned by this only because I opt to shoot street/people where the subject matter is rarely in the corner.. I tend to follow the Patrick Swayze school of photography..

"Nobody puts baby in the corner"

Cheers,
Dave

I didn't miss that, in fact I highlighted it for you by posting the link. So the A7R is leagues ahead using these wides. The misconception that the A7R is not good with anything below 35mm is BS. Even Sony have stated that the A7R is designed with a microlens design which is absent from the A7.

Links to demonstrate this?

I don't have an A7R, but the shots I've seen with the A7r and the 21mm Summilux shows marginal red in the corners.

The 21lux with the A7 (which I am shooting with right now) has no color shading whatsoever. In fact I've created a CornerFix profile to deal with the len's falloff, but the calibration picture has no color cast.

Also, color cast is negligible with the 12mm Heliar and A7. I don't think the same can be said for the A7r and 12mm Heliar - see this Flickr link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73901682@N00/11030367195/in/photolist-hNHvSK-hNJwwY-hNJ5xy-hNJi72-hKZaZf-hUQLu8-diGd6d-ebYRAS-ebYRDm-dgYfoS-dRq9tN-ebT1GR-ebYRvd-ebT1M8-ebSSCH-hBtb51-i8Fgto

Quite a lot of purple and smearing there...

I received the camera almost one months, and i am ok fine with using Sony A7.

Here are some pic taken with Leica L39 or M mount lens

Nippon Kogaku Japan Nikkor-s.c 50mm f1.4 LTM

10897589836_3fb696754e_b.jpg

Did you intend to focus on the hair, or was the intent to focus on the eye, but missed?
If the latter, do you think it was an error of technique, lens focus shift or accuracy limits of the EVF focusing aids?
::Ari

The 21lux with the A7 (which I am shooting with right now) has no color shading whatsoever. In fact I've created a CornerFix profile to deal with the len's falloff, but the calibration picture has no color cast.

Is corner smearing with the A7 + 21 Summilux acceptable?

Are there any Leica User Group (LUG) members here?
A member of the LUG posted several B&W images made with a 19mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R and an A7R recently. As one would expect from one of the best 19mm lenses ever made and potentially one of the best digital cameras on the market today, the images were superb. Corner to corner. Naturally, any anomalies in color were absent. Smearing in the corners was NOT present.
Find the LUG archives. Search for Elmarit R in the last 2-3 days.
Granted, not an M/LTM/Rangefinder lens. Stunning none the less. Makes me want to find a Canon 20mm lens from the Dark Ages.

Wayne

Did you intend to focus on the hair, or was the intent to focus on the eye, but missed?
If the latter, do you think it was an error of technique, lens focus shift or accuracy limits of the EVF focusing aids?
::Ari

want to foucs at eyes, but not fast enough,
i love the mood of this pic, thz for your reply

For me, I would like to use SLR MF ultra wide, or waiting the Sony FE ultra wide for use
This is the most simple and one of the best solution on Sony A7
I tried few 21 LTM / M mount 21mm lens, and i dont really satisfied with the performance.

Is corner smearing with the A7 + 21 Summilux acceptable?

I find f1.4 usable in practice, since at f1.4 DOF is so narrow that there's usually no details in the corner anyways. The sides are sharp - only the extreme corners have visible smearing. The rather steep corner falloff also helps.

At f2 corners are sharp and at f2.8 falloff essentially disappears.

This is the upper right corner, 200% crop at f2. I focused on the bird:

11318226513_fd06109dac_b.jpg

BTW Leica states that wide-open falloff is 2.6 stops at the extreme edges. I find that very true - when correcting for full frame vignetting, the picture brightens by more than a stop. Either way this is NOT a lens for shooting landscapes and buildings wide open.

I find f1.4 usable in practice, since at f1.4 DOF is so narrow that there's usually no details in the corner anyways. The sides are sharp - only the extreme corners have visible smearing. The rather steep corner falloff also helps.

At f2 corners are sharp and at f2.8 falloff essentially disappears.

This is the upper right corner, 200% crop at f2. I focused on the bird:

Thanks. That looks fine to me. This is on the A7, not the A7r, right?

Back