A7 with Some LTM, M mount lens

Interesting – could you add more info?

I'm currently using the 40 Summicron from CL as my everyday A7 lens and am happy with it, but I was thinking of trying the CV 40 too (thinking it might be sharper at f2 than the Cron). I wonder in what ways CV fell short – resolution, corner smearing, tinting, or whatever?

I've had the Summicron-C in the past, as well as the M-Rokkor gen 1 and gen 2. Currently have the gen 2. These lenses are so close together in rendering qualities on film and in the Ricoh GXR they might as well be identical, only noticeable difference to my eye is that the gen 2 has better flare control due to multicoating. Currently still have the M-Rokkor gen 2.

The Nokton and the M-Rokkor gen 2 produce extremely similar results on film as well by f/2.8. At larger lens openings (f/2 and f/1.4), the Nokton is a hair more prone to less pleasing bokeh and not quite as sharp ... that's on film and on the Ricoh GXR.

On the A7, what I'm seeing with the Nokton is that it has some edge/corner darkening and a touch of corner smearing throughout the aperture range. You can see it in the Nokton photo at f/2.8 (140301-00413.jpg) posted on my page https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/sonyA7-nikkor18mm/index.html
It also seems slightly unsharp when focusing, although the detailing is good.

So this week's photo entertainment will be testing the Nokton vs M-Rokkor 40 gen 2 on the A7 ... If the M-Rokkor is superior throughout on this camera, the Nokton will move to my CL body and I'll use the M-Rokkor on the A7. :)

G

Can't wait to hear about your results since those are exactly my two 40s.

I did a tripod-mounted edge and corner test of both last night. Both show falloff wide open and down to f/2.8. The Nokton shows unsharpness and smearing until f/5.6. The M-Rokkor does not show smearing even wide open, and is sharp at the corners by f/2.8-4. The M-Rokkor "feels" sharper immediately as I focus it too.

One thing curious with both is that I find them a bit fiddly to focus, mechanically. The focusing ring is quite close to the body and finding the focusing tab does not feel natural on the A7 as it does on the M9. The big Elmarit-R lenses are just nicer to use on this camera, to me anyway.

G

Thanks Godfrey.. Sounds to be a bit of a mixed bag even for the 40f2.. But is the falloff really noticeable wide open.. I think I can live w/ that so long as not glaring.

Gary

Last edited:
Thanks Godfrey.. Sounds to be a bit of a mixed bag even for the 40f2.. But is the falloff really noticeable wide open.. I think I can live w/ that so long as not glaring.

I'll try to post some examples this evening.

G

Meditating on my testing of the Nokton and M-Rokkor last evening, and using the Nokton over the weekend.

I'm ready to just toss in the towel on using M-mount lenses on the A7/A7r entirely. My longer lenses ... the M-Rokkor 90 and Hektor 135 ... work well enough, but none of the Color Skopars really sing, the Ultron 28/2 is a mushy mess most of the time, the Nokton 40 is great if you ignore the corners or stop it down to slower than a Color Skopar, the M-Rokkor 40 is better than that, and the Nokton 50/1.5 (LTM) is only just "ok", it does not perform like either the Summicron-R 50 or Summilux-R 50 do. I don't even like using the 40s on this body ... the ergonomics are poor due to the position of the focusing ring and tab.

I might just keep the M-Rokkor 40 on the CL body where it belongs, sell the Nokton 40, and find a Summicron-R 35 for this slot in my lens kit. My A7 will be an all-Leica-R lineup, with a couple of specialty Nikkors complementing it.

G

Thx, Godfrey, for info. I too have been disappointed with corner performance of almost all M lenses, but for me the 40 Cron was the exception. It too is fiddly to focus, but since it's become my go-to lens on A7, I've learned to fiddle with it efficiently (Suzuki method).

Kirk

I didn't get time to put samples together last evening, although I did look at the test photos much more closely. The M-Rokkor does show some smearing wide open, but it's just about gone by f/2.8.

Either lens does well enough for casual work by f/2.8, and more critical work by f/8. I think what really puts me off is the handling ... I like that the camera and lens are smaller and lighter, but the fiddlyness of focusing disturbs me. I seem to be able to nail correct focus more easily with the Elmarit-R 24mm, even stopped down to f/5.6, which might be more an ergonomic issue than an optical/performance one.

I've pretty much decided that I'll keep the M-Rokkor on the CL and sell the Nokton. I have located and ordered a Summicron-R 35mm f/2 for the A7 now. They're a bit on the pricey side, but fit better for my use.

I think that's the last lens I wanted for the A7 now. I've got the range from 19 to 180 mm in Leica R primes and a few specialties in Nikkor lenses.

G

Thanks for the update. I guess I will write off the a7 given the lenses I like are having problems.

Gary

GaryLH,

Quickies from this morning ... I wouldn't write it off yet. ;-)

quickies-1.jpg

quickies-2.jpg

both: Sony A7 + M-Rokkor 40mm f/2, f/2.8

The full-frame photo at the top takes +45 on the vignetting correction in Lens Corrections (LR5.3) to even out the corner illumination at f/2.8. Shooting just a little bit with the M-Rokkor 40, I think it's a much nicer match to the A7 than the Nokton 40 so far. Focusing seems crisper, handling is better, etc.

enjoy!

G

GaryLH,

Quickies from this morning ... I wouldn't write it off yet. ;-)
both: Sony A7 + M-Rokkor 40mm f/2, f/2.8
The full-frame photo at the top takes +45 on the vignetting correction in Lens Corrections (LR5.3) to even out the corner illumination at f/2.8. Shooting just a little bit with the M-Rokkor 40, I think it's a much nicer match to the A7 than the Nokton 40 so far. Focusing seems crisper, handling is better, etc.

enjoy!

G

Thanks..
Gary

I know most of the talk in this thread from Godfrey has been due to his use of the R lenses on the body but I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the 24mm Elmarit-M ASPH (E55) on the A7. I've been searching and can't seem to locate any good info. I was considering the lense as something to fit in between my 21 and 35 (rather than going for a 28 that is.. :D )

Cheers,
Dave

I know most of the talk in this thread from Godfrey has been due to his use of the R lenses on the body but I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the 24mm Elmarit-M ASPH (E55) on the A7. I've been searching and can't seem to locate any good info. I was considering the lense as something to fit in between my 21 and 35 (rather than going for a 28 that is.. :D )

Cheers,
Dave

I asked this question on GetDPI.com for a friend. No definitive answer yet, but this was the response:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/573854-post32.html

G

I asked this question on GetDPI.com for a friend. No definitive answer yet, but this was the response:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/573854-post32.html

G

Thanks for that Godfrey.

I would agree with the other statements on the lenses - as I have those lenses as well (35 lux, 50 lux - both pre-ASPH).

I would echo the comment regarding the 90mm Summicron - I've got that one too and I don't think I'll ever let it go. It's wonderful on film and on the A7.

There's a local 24mm Elmarit-M that I may try to wrangle my way. :D

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for that Godfrey.

I would agree with the other statements on the lenses - as I have those lenses as well (35 lux, 50 lux - both pre-ASPH).

I would echo the comment regarding the 90mm Summicron - I've got that one too and I don't think I'll ever let it go. It's wonderful on film and on the A7.

There's a local 24mm Elmarit-M that I may try to wrangle my way. :D

I've been testing my M lenses more extensively this past week and some. So far:

Hektor 135/4.5.. Great
M-Rokkor 90/4.. Great and tiny
M-Rokkor 40/2 II.. Very good, except wide open only fair.
Color-Skopar 21/4.. Good B&W, if you don't mind the vignetting. Forget color without CornerFix.

The Summicron-R 90/2 is shockingly excellent too, btw.

G

Just got an A7 and I'm not seeing the fuss over the Voigtlander 50 1.5... the photos look great to me! Can someone point out what the problem is? I have yet to see any explanation.

DSC02161.jpg

DSC02163.jpg~original

Back