A7 with Some LTM, M mount lens

Voigtlander 50F1.5 M Nokton went to Chatsworth Horse trials today

DSC01062-XL.jpg

DSC01078_1-XL.jpg

Recently picked up a Sony A7 (the Sony NEX 5n has always been my universal digital back for all my legacy lenses). Various RF lenses - most of these shots have been cropped, since I mostly tend to use "1 camera 1 lens" with this camera so far. B&W converted using SFX2.

So far in terms of RF lenses, about half of my legacy lenses play OK with the A7, the Ricoh GXR does a better job with the super-wides then the Sony and even the old NEX 5n does a bit better than the A7.

Currently I own one FE lens, the Sony 35f2.8. Not sure if I will buy any others right now.

Leica 35f2

_DSC0301.jpg

_DSC0311.jpg

Canon 50f1.2
_DSC0831.jpg

Minolta 40f2

_DSC0333.jpg

_DSC0583.jpg

_DSC0602.jpg

_DSC0754%2B-%2BVersion%2B2.jpg

Scale focused shots
_DSC0586.jpg

_DSC0606.jpg

Gary

Gary, bloody great compositions there. IIRC, this thread was started more for technical trials of legacy lenses on the A7 (as to vignetting, smearing, &c.) but if those are your quickie test shots, good grief, I'd like to see your serious ones.

--Dave

Great photos! I was considering the A7 for the Nokton 50 1.1 but I do mostly street stuff. I was wondering if anyone could talk about manual focusing technique with this camera - how easy/quick it is and what are the best practices etc.

The evf is what makes the difference. It is one of the best in terms of resolution. How hard is really based on how good your eyes are, especially your visual acuity. Focusing aids such as peaking w/ your choice of colors helps and mag view.

I would think for street u would scale/zone focus (wait for the person to walk into zone?) more than manual focus the camera. Zone/scale depends on two things
- a good adapter that has correct infinity focus
- there are focus scales on the lens (example contax G lenses have no focus scale)

Gary

The evf is what makes the difference. It is one of the best in terms of resolution. How hard is really based on how good your eyes are, especially your visual acuity. Focusing aids such as peaking w/ your choice of colors helps and mag view.

I would think for street u would scale/zone focus (wait for the person to walk into zone?) more than manual focus the camera. Zone/scale depends on two things
- a good adapter that has correct infinity focus
- there are focus scales on the lens (example contax G lenses have no focus scale)

Gary

Thanks Gary! Very interesting! I think I should give it a try.

I decided not to carry the Hasselblad this morning and carried the Sony A7 instead. I hadn't used it with the Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM) or Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 since the first week I had it so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Sony A7 + Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5
ISO 200 @ f/5.6

Both lenses are certainly a lot smaller and lighter than the Summilux-R 50/1.4 and Elmarit-R 24/2.8 that I usually carry with the A7, and the Novoflex adapter is much shorter as well. That's both good and bad. It makes carrying nice, but it makes working the lens' controls fussier. Each lens has a different arrangement of where the focusing ring is and where the aperture ring is too, and they're both sized and shaped differently. It slows you down.

Focusing either was easy enough ... Of course, its easier to focus a fast 50mm lens compared to a slowish 28mm lens. But that works just fine.

Otherwise, the camera works as it always does. I've got it well-dialed-in to my way of working now so aside from re-learning how to focus and use the aperture ring, it's same-old, same-old.

Reviewing the exposures afterwards ... I've revised my impressions.

The 28mm shows a good bit of light falloff at corners and edges and some magenta shifting. A bit of softness there. Also a bit of barrel distortion. The 50mm is quite clean about light falloff, little smearing, and an inconsequential amount of magenta shift. Images from both are quite good. The image above really needs an 11x17 inch print to see it properly.

(I wonder what about the Nokton 50/1.5 bugged me when I first used it? Hmm, dunno...)

The ergonomics aside, I'm pleased with them both. The Leica R lenses are nicer to use and fit my hands better, but there are times when fitting a lighter, smaller lens is worth the less-wonderful feel in use.

G

A7 with 90mm Elmarit version 2 (This isn't a photoshop composite just lucky manual focus)
gulls_-_sunset.jpg

I'm thoroughly enjoying the A7 (as well as my Nex 6) - the IQ and ability to use almost all my lenses is a true pleasure.

Fresh from an A7R acquisition, these are from Canon 50/1.5 (great lens, one of my favourite 50mm ever for B&N). Beware of flare!
DSC00117.jpg

And

DSC00111.jpg

Back