almost bought an SLR, saved by fate

I wonder how often people get caught up in a particular machine (car, watch, camera) because of some impression that hit them at some special age? Pretty frequently, I think. I never had it with Nikons -- I had an F3 and traded it in (at a big loss) for an F4, and loved the F4 dearly, until I traded it for an F5, which I liked even more than the F4...I believe every iteration was better than the last.

However, when a lot of guys my age saw Blowup, in the late 60s, with David Hemmings, and saw all the lovely women and how cool photogaphy was, and got into picture-taking...I only had eyes for that Rolls Royce Silver Cloud convertible. Never owned one, but jeez, what a car -- would rather have one of those, now, than a new Ferrari; or a career in fashion photography, for that matter.

Wonder if they ever have them on o-boy?

JC

$100 is a really low price. I've watched the prices of SLR's here in Holland on a couple of local classifieds sites, and the F2's and F3's all seem to go for around €250 to €350 (including some glass) and sometimes even more.

Well, as an unrepentant Nikon SLR fan, it's ok to lust after a Nikon F3HP, I want one myself at some point. I have have two F's, one F2 and a Nikkormat FTn.

Bill

Frank was saved by fate; I was tempted and fate dragged me in. I have a Pentax LX on the way to me. :D

The universe is in balance; harmony has been maintained.

I have owned an F3HP and you Frank S are no F3HP. Frank you are a little tiny RF guy who prowls the dark alleys of RFF. You will always be a little RF man. Sometimes known as an ARFMAN. Arfmen sneak around and take shots of intimate things and people without nothing more than a "peepclick". Frank, you will never be a true F3HP who stumbles into everyone sounding like "humpty dumpty clunk".

Anybody know some good sources for a mint F3HP? It's......for.....my....ah....grandson. Yeah thats it, my grandson.

emraphoto said:
my friend paul guy... i know of an f2 photomic in beautiful shape with a nikon 28mm f2.8 and original full case sitting in a shop where i live for $275 canadian. if you want me to hook you up with the shop owner or take some snaps you just let me know! $275 to realize a dream? a small sum...

I appreciate that, thank you for thinking of me. But I've just got so much stuff now I guess I'm just not ready to scratch that itch. Don't know if I ever will. But thanks.

Thank you Chris for balancing that out! (Pentax LX's are cool too.)

RAy, my F4 just sits on the shelf waiting for me to do another wedding or other heavy-duty event.

John, many years ago I did once hold an F3 and that feeling has stuck with me.

Here's the ad: http://nelsonfoto.com/v/showthread.php?t=10243

Last edited:
kshapero

This seller betteroffblu always has a line up of top quality of F3hp's, and currently has a 200xxxx serial numbered late model F3, on the bay.

Mark
Quito, EC

There always seems to be a Nikon FM2n in my bag, riding shotgun with an M3. I mostly use it for long lenses these days, but the Nikons work great in studio situations too.

If anyone is interested, I have a Nikon F3 HP which I've been meaning to sell. It shows some wear, but works like a champ. I never use it.

oh I feel your pain Frank :) F3 for 100$ is a sin that everyone would be glad to commit. Nearly at the same time I was "the second one" to buy 3(!) pen f bodies (FV among them) with normals, 20-25-100-150 lenses & bellows - went away almost immediatelly for 100$, what a coincidence. The truth is I wouldn't know what to do even with 1 oly pen body&lenses - I have enough cameras to shoot with, and I am not camera dealer or reseller. This is what separates collector from user - I am kind of glad I didn't cross this line. Am I done? ;)

That's the thing: $100 for an F3, a camera I have an affinity for. Another great camera, like an Olympus OM4 say, even at a great price, would not attract me - I just don't have a "thing" for one.

Another camera that would be cool at a steal of a price is a Rollei MF SLR.

Traded two Pentax LX's for a Nikon F4 way back. Loved the LX, but didn't love the glass as much as the NIkon offerings.

I just never feel this temptation.
For most every application where SLR is better than Rangefinder, I like digital better than film. I've got an old AE-1 that never calls my name.
There's something about the Rangefinder/film combination that I find more compelling.

FrankS said:
That's the thing: $100 for an F3, a camera I have an affinity for. Another great camera, like an Olympus OM4 say, even at a great price, would not attract me - I just don't have a "thing" for one.

Maybe not the battery dependend OM-4, but how about OM-1 ;) ??
Nobody can resist an OM-1 :D

Seriously, though, a professional photographer friend of mine lent me one of his FM2 on the motor drive along with a Nikkor 85mm/1.8. I tell you guys! That thing rocks!! I feel like a real photojournalist just clicking away with it.

FrankS said:

SLR.
OM4?
Unfortunately, I do...
I could just slip it onto the shelf with the other OM gear..
my wife would never notice another one...(1)
Just need to stumble onto the great deal...
We all have a few "things".

(1) Murphy's law of stupid buying: Wife is standing in the door whenever UPS man arrives.

Back