almost bought an SLR, saved by fate

Frank,

Worry not, buying an F3hp is a venial sin. It’s a classic camera, IMHO, second only to the F2. Easy to find motors, screens and finder for, has 100% viewing of the frame and it takes film. I’m not a “A” (read automatic) type of guy, otherwise I would have gone with one of them when I rebuilt my Nikon SLR system a few months back.

Let’s see, for a venial sin, if you recite the CV LTM lens chart (currently manufactured lenses only please) from longest to widest and all will be forgiven!!

B2 (;->

Hmmm -- i think that what is good about my Minolta SR 7v / Srs , 24 / 28 / 45 / 50 / 135 / 85 Rokkors is that they have no value - unlike Nikkon stuff - so no temptation to convert to ... probably Kievs ....

But I have a lot of stuff that has no value - most of it recently aquired USSR cameas !!

dee

PaulGuy said:
The F3 is a nice camera. But for me, I always wanted an F2. A close friend bought one when we were fresh out of high school in the seventies. It was love at first sight for me. The sound of that shutter... A love never realized. :eek:

You're kidding, right?... the F2 shutter sounds like someone opening and then violently closing the front passenger door on an AMC Pacer! Crimeny, you could wake the dead with that thing!

As you allready said Frank, the final result - good or bad photography - is the thing that we count ... that Nikon is fine optical instrument with manual focus & total control of creative photo process ... RF photography is way of thinking ... sooner or later I will be happy to see some new stuff from your M4 Leica tool :D

visiondr said:
You're kidding, right?... the F2 shutter sounds like someone opening and then violently closing the front passenger door on an AMC Pacer! Crimeny, you could wake the dead with that thing!

I most certainly am serious and what I liked about the sound had nothing to do with quietness. It had a quality about it which I can't explain and you may never have experienced. After all I'm talking about a brand new F2. You were around 10 years old when I played with that camera. (Even though you do remember the Pacer, boy what were they thinking?) :p I also happen to like the sound of the barn doors on a hasselblad. Not everything has to be stealthy.;)

tkluck said:
OM4?
Unfortunately, I do...
I could just slip it onto the shelf with the other OM gear..
my wife would never notice another one...
(1) Murphy's law of stupid buying: Wife is standing in the door whenever UPS man arrives.

Lucky you! My lovely wife works at the post office. Even on those days that I make it home before her she'll come in the house asking "What was that package you got today?". I can't even have it sent to work, she delivers to my workplace!! That's how I met her!:bang:

That's not the half of it. When your wife works for the PO, there is a network of spies all over the town you live in. Think about it, where can you go without running into a letter carrier? I can't make a trip to Home Depot without my where abouts being reported by one of those white postal trucks that roam all over town.

:eek:

PaulGuy said:
My lovely wife works at the post office. Even on those days that I make it home before her she'll come in the house asking "What was that package you got today?". I can't even have it sent to work, she delivers to my workplace!! That's how I met her!:bang:

That's not the half of it. When your wife works for the PO, there is a network of spies all over the town you live in. Think about it, where can you go without running into a letter carrier? I can't make a trip to Home Depot without my where abouts being reported by one of those white postal trucks that roam all over town.

Use FedEx hold for pickup, or get a PO box in the next town. ;)

Chris

I saw an FM3a today for the first time--love at first sight. It had a really nice 45mm P on it--simply beautiful. I know this feeling, I won't rest till I have it--I'm doomed...But hey it's mechanical...

f3dlogo.jpg

f3md4faceup.jpg
topviewf3lens.jpg
wornf3t.jpg

The F3HP, and the F3/T :D
Ain't she Sweet Frank! !

Cheers
Mark
Quito, EC

Hey Mark, you're fishing in the wrong pond too! :)

Would someone please send Mark at least a broken Fed to make him legit?

I dunno what your penance is, but when I sold my 8008 (had not used it in 5 years) I used the $$ to buy an F3HP with motor drive. I bet I've shot all of two rolls with it in the past 2 years. I don't like the "+-" exposure indicator all that much. I prefer the match-needles on my FE2's, and the diodes on my R6, and M6. I feel that exposure is an analog phenomenon best represented by an analog display. That remeinds me, I should get rid of my F3, along with my OM-2n, my Visoflex, Rolleiflex T, and other stuff I don't use, and get a digital body: maybe an R-D1. Or a D-200.

Back