American Road Trip 1979 on Kodachrome

#USA24-01 sunset, Devil's tower, Wyoming, 31 May 1979

U27021.1704501762.3.jpg

#USA24-17 Rocky Mountains, Wyoming, 01 June 1979
From US Hwy 15, Cody to Yellowstone NP

U27021.1704536592.3.jpg

Snow on June 1, what a hoot!!

If my memory still works as it should, it had been an unusually cold winter in many parts of North America. I recall landing in Toronto in late April to -17C cold, after having flown out of San Francisco where it was 69F - +/-20C.

Even in June in Canada, walking in the forest on my grandparents' farm, I found there was still so much snow under the trees, in some places it was all but impossible to follow a track in the woods without 'wellies'- as we Assies call those old-fashioned Wellington boots farmers everywhere in the world did and still do wear on the job - to get thru some of the mounds. Two weeks later it had all melted, but that summer was cool enough to make swimming in the Atlantic Ocean, even at those beaches usually warmed by the Gulf Stream, a chilly business.

I recall I used my Nikkormat and a 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor to photograph Pussy Willows still in bloom. Usually those came out at leas one month earlier, in late April or early May. So yes, it was a cold year, 1979.

BTW I especially liked your photos in #568 -569-570 (to save space I won't repost them all here) as to me they are so evocative of much of the mountain landscapes I saw in the American Southwest during my trip, 44 years ago.

As I've said before, all your images make me want to go back and see it all again, while I still can. Maybe in mid-year we will. Still under discussion at home...

PS1 Lynn, please can you tell us about your scanning workflow? I too have tons of Kodachromes I want to put through my scanner if I live that long, in my case a Plustek 7600i, so not the latest or the fastest to work with, but my past efforts to keep the original colors in my slides have at times been a tad disappointing even when my Plustek was new. How much post-processing do you do? I'm sure many of us would appreciate this advice.

PS2 Yes Lax, there are many Aussies here, and Lynn's most interesting thread looks have brought many of us out of the woodwork,, or maybe in our cases out from the bush...

Last edited:
PS1 Lynn, please can you tell us about your scanning workflow? I too have tons of Kodachromes I want to put through my scanner if I live that long, in my case a Plustek 7600i, so not the latest or the fastest to work with, but my past efforts to keep the original colors in my slides have at times been a tad disappointing even when my Plustek was new. How much post-processing do you do? I'm sure many of us would appreciate this advice.
Happy to, it's nothing special and I suspect Chris Crawford's tutorial is a better resource. I'll get around to it sometime in the near future and let you know when I do.
Cheers
Lynn

Hi Lynn, love this series of pics of Wyoming. One note, there really isn't a US Hwy 15 in that area. US Hwy 14 goes thru Cody, and US Hwy 16 is also in that area of Wyoming, but as far as I know, and I've traveled thru there a lot, there isn't a US Hwy 15 there.

Best,
-Tim

I love this last series of photos. I fear there wouldn't be anywhere near this much snow and ice in the same locations in 2024.

Back