American Road Trip 1979 on Kodachrome

#USA26-22 West Thumb geothermal area, Yellowstone National Park, 02 June 1979. This section appears to be an inactive geothermal area - but see the steam on the far right.
All these photos were taken with a polarising filter.

U27021.1713241961.0.jpg
This is very nice with the cool colour palette and trees and people in silhouette.

Lynn, your wilderness photographs are (in a word) - exquisite.

Somehow you have found the majesty of classic black-and-white photography of Yellowstone, with Kodachrome.

Well done.

Ansel would be proud of you!!

Lynn, your wilderness photographs are (in a word) - exquisite.

Somehow you have found the majesty of classic black-and-white photography of Yellowstone, with Kodachrome.

Well done.

Ansel would be proud of you!!
That's very generous! I give equal credit to the majesty of the American West, and the wizards at Kodak who invented Kodachrome. All I had to do was "point the camera, we do the rest".

I have another batch ready to upload, but I'm experiencing intermittent glitches in the upload software. Hopefully this will be sorted soon.
Edit: uploading direct from an external HDD seems to fix the problem.

Last edited:
#USA27-13 Tower Fall. That is better than National Geographic. You absolutely nailed framing and the foreground elements working the edges of the frame in so many of your shots. I could sit and draw your Mt Rushmore shot from below through the trees, having seen it once many weeks ago. No doubt the US wonders taught the prepared mind. This really is awe inspiring what you’ve done. A book is a must.

Last edited:
Unlike you, Lynn, I spent too little time in Yellowstone. Now, having seen your superb images, I regret that. At my age it's unlikely I will ever return. In 1979 I was young enough that the effort required (eleven months to travel two times across North America, along the coast from California to Nova Scotia in Canada and back again via Montreal and Toronto) is too much for me.

But I'm tempted. At my age, maybe best done in shorter, easier, softer trips? It's well worth considering, but now thanks to other dedicated RFF posters and those who have commented so aptly not heir images, Japan is now on my radar and this year may be taken up with a trip there, my first since the 1980s.

For so many of us life is too, too short, too bad we cannot be like cats with nine lives to play with, but then mine spend all those avatars lying around in sunny places and feeding their faces at my expense, ha to that!

Anyway, I was there (Yellowstone) in October, weary from seemingly endless weeks of driving, more keen to get to San Francisco to meet friends arriving from Sydney for foodie nights and pleasant social times than looking at trees and rocks and waterfalls, as beautiful as those are, also from being at the wheel of a nine-year old Maverick for most of the day.

The northern hemisphere trees had all changed colors and the brilliant multicolored leaves were at their finest, and even though I grew up in Canada where such a phenomenon is entirely common in the autumn, I was totally captivated by all that Technicolor and I spent way too much time photographing landscapes with trees. Also the walks to and from the various places in the park were long and often rough, and by then I was weary of my travels anyway. As you probably experienced, one can get too much of a good thing...

So I passed on many of the best parts of the park. to have had the stamina and the wish to walk, see, and photograph.

I believe there is a book in your 1979 journey. It's a massive effort, especially if self-published, but please consider.

Back