Anybody Here Have or Use Plaubel Peco Junior?

Thanks Oftheherd. Took this initial test the digital back doesn't care if it's Makiflex or Peco Junior. Cameras are interchangeable.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Initial test of Makiflex Digital Back! Auto Makiflex 150mm f5.6 chrome Schneider Symmar Auto Iris Plaubel Makiflex lens mount. Key Day F11 Easily hand holdable, great way to test all my lenses. Much fun ahead. If I want I can switch to film in 30 seconds, although the camera needs totally reset in that case. But so versatile.

Thanks Oftheherd. Took this initial test the digital back doesn't care if it's Makiflex or Peco Junior. Cameras are interchangeable.

Initial test of Makiflex Digital Back! Auto Makiflex [NODE="1"]Home[/NODE] 150mm f5.6 chrome Schneider Symmar Auto Iris Plaubel Makiflex lens mount. Key Day F11 Easily hand holdable, great way to test all my lenses. Much fun ahead. If I want I can switch to film in 30 seconds, although the camera needs totally reset in that case. But so versatile.

Looks good.

Thanks Oftheherd !

This is the handheld camera I used to photograph the digital tree photo just posted here. Great for testing and checking lenses, Makiflex Automatic [NODE="1"]Home[/NODE] has the Makiflex Auto Iris 150mm Schneider Symmar. I have only seen this lens offered in Europe after decades of looking around. Anyways cock the aperture and it stops down just before the focal plane shutter goes off. Hence "Automatic". Loving the digital back, cost no money and works a treat. Fits interchangeably with my mini-me Peco Junior view cameras. "Poor Man's Medium Format Digital with Moves".

This arrived yesterday from Germany, I made an offer it was missing ground glass. I replaced the glass with new and also attached a fresnel custom cut to fit behind the glass, so no focus shift, all is good! Sliding Roll 6x9cm Plaubel Peco Junior Back. Came with some Plaubel cut film holders, some loaded with glass plates. I put a Makina 6x9cm back on this, it is oerfect and currently loaded with Ilford Pan F+. I have a lot of Makina Backs (6x9 and 6x6) and over 50 Makina Cut Film Holders. Just when I thought I had everything they made for this LOL. This can be used in either portrait or landscape format. There is a lever that lock things up on the back. Well thought out item.

"Anybody Here Have or Use Plaubel Peco Junior?"

Obviously, not. But keep on posting. The gearheads of this world have a place on RFF as well.

Cheers, OtL

Peco Jr 65 F8 SA CF65F8 Magnifying Swiveling Hood by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is my Plaubel Peco Junior with Baggy Bellows 65mm F8 Super Angulon. According to my Plaubel literature, the Peco Junior fully utilizes the full range of movements possible with the 65mm F8. This will become one of my main lenses for this camera I am thinking. Shown with Schneider 65mm F8 SA Center Filter, and Minolta SRT Cable Release. Pretty wide small with extreme movements possible. Nice. The Magnifying Hood swivels left and right for brightest viewing and works a charm with this lens. Can easily see the entire screen and focus, as well as movements set visually

Peco Jr 65 F8 SA CF65F8 Sony NexC3 Back by Nokton48, on Flickr

Not real sharp but still successful in some ways. Modeling lights only, Tim Kelly Broncolor lighting test. Peco Jr Body Baggy Bellows, bought a new to me 65mmF8 chrome Super Angulon from Roberts for $189 not bad Sony NexC3 Back, Schneider "Center Filter For 65mm F8*" attached. Not bad as a way to test lighting before commiting expensive film. The Peco Junior was designed (according to Plaubel) to be able to fully utilize the 65mm SA. It is a great lens and an olde favorite of mine. Mounted on this camera system it will certainly be a main lens to use. Also in the wings I have a mint 65mm F6.8 chrome Schneider Angulon, it will be interesting to see the differences, the Angulon is a Dagor derivative, and also looks great through the Peco Junior

Peco Jr 135 f3.8 Xenar Delta 100 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Windowlight test of Plaubel Peco Junior with 135mm F3.8 chrome Schneider Xenar in Compur Shutter. Delta 100 in 6x9 Plaubel Makina Roll Film Back F11 aperture. Camera movements utilized, strong back tilt, which I could easily see on the magnified screen. The camera is fun to use. I like the out of focus rendering with the Xenar lens. 5x7 RC Arista [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Dektol Omega Dii 180 black Rodagon. F3.8 is a joy to look through

Onward with the Plaubel Peco Juniors. Center front, the 3D printed boards from Italy, flocked with strips of adhesive foam shown front right. Many lenses to try out with this. New sub-project: I have nearly all the Fuji GX680 lenses, I adapted them to Plaubel Makiflex, to use with focal plane shutters. Now I am adapting them again, mounting them Seiko Shutters from the WS Fuji view lenses. I buy shutters with bad glass, for the shutters, you see. And onto the Peco Juniors they will go.... Gx680 are modern, very hot glass, a good match to Peco Junior actually. Big image circles and nice to look through. This will be an ongoing project as I find what I need over time. Five more lenses will complete my Peco Jr GX680 lens set. Useful for film or digital

Yesterday I put these four lenses together, had been using them on Plaubel Makiflexes. Have four shutters from Fuji WS 210 and WS 270 lenses; these perfectly fit the GX680 front and rear cells.

Shown from left front: the 65mm F5.6 GX680, front right 100mm G5.6 GX680. Back left the 125mm F3.2 (hot glass!) and back right, the 125mm F5.6. These lenses are heavy, metal Peco Jr boards are solid and they balance well on my two Peco Junior cameras. These lenses are 90's modern uber sharp, and have big image circles, a perfect choice to go on these 6x9cm view cameras. I still have five more GX680 lenses to convert to Peco Junior, I need some more metal PJ lens boards, and some more Seiko shutters. I do like the olde glass from the 60's, but it is great to have modern glass as a choice. This project will continue as I find what I need to finish it.

58 Grandagon Graflex XL Peco Jr Short Rail by Nokton48, on Flickr

I found my 58mm f5.6 Rodenstock Grandagon, which I removed with some surgery, attached it for decades to a Custom hand welded Norma deeply recessed board. I used this lens (sometimes) for landscape and Architectural Interiors. It was just a teeny wider than the 65mm lenses of the day. Loved it and has sentimental value to me. Now it's on a flat Peco Jr Board, all tuned up and ready to shoot. This lens covers 9x12cm but is really sweet on Peco Junior 6x9cm, which allows maximum camera movements without running out of image circle. This is a good setup for the Atomic Age LOL

Done Five Fuji GX680 lenses converted to PLaubel Peco Jr by Nokton48, on Flickr

Been working on these five Fuji Gx680 (first I converted them to Plaubel Makiflex Barrel Mount Lenses). When my two Plaubel Peco Junior cameras came in, I decided to convert these lenses, adding modern Seiko Shutters from the Fuji 210mm and 250mm WS series of lenses. All good even the f/stop scales will work good without modifications. These are 90's era cutting edge glass for the Fuji GX680, used for studio and professional use. From left to right, Peco Junior focused at infinity, with 65mm F5.6 GX680. Amazing to look through! Next the 80mm F5.6 GX680, then the 100mm F5.6 GX680, then the 125mm F3.2 Uber Glass. Best of the Best, they also make a F5.6 model. Finally the other Peco Jr, focused at infinity with the 180mm F3.2 GX680. Some portrait photographers say this lens is TOO sharp for portraiture, subjects complain. LOL All these lenses have Beeg image circles, allowing for full use of the Peco Junior's front and back movements. So the best lenses from that era, combined with the tiniest most precise view camera ever made. What a match-up! Can't wait to take out a small bag, small tripod, and try out all this new stuff. In the foreground is the new shorty sawed-off focusing rail, great with the really wide older lenses.

Fuji GX680 50mm f5.6 Seiko Shutter by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Plaubel Junior restored with New to me 50mm F5.6 Fuji GX680 lens, purchased broken, at a good discount, from Adorama in NYC. They also included the Uber Rare Gelatin Filter Holder/50mm Hood, it's worth some Dollars so a great deal. The view through the 50mm is AMAZING. Can't wait to shoot some test 6.5x9cm Makina Back Film. EVentually I will buy some type of Digital Medium Format Back. The Peco Junior has a Leica-like smoothness and feel. Plaubel advertised as "The Rolls Royce of Cameras" in the day. Works smoothly and tightly in a Leica-type of way. Also looked through my 4x5" Sinar Normas with this lens. It's amazingly sharp-looking and nice and contrasty view. This will get some use now, rather than becoming an interesting broken ornament.

Done Five Fuji GX680 lenses converted to PLaubel Peco Jr by Nokton48, on Flickr

Been working on these five Fuji Gx680 (first I converted them to Plaubel Makiflex Barrel Mount Lenses). When my two Plaubel Peco Junior cameras came in, I decided to convert these lenses, adding modern Seiko Shutters from the Fuji 210mm and 250mm WS series of lenses. All good even the f/stop scales will work good without modifications. These are 90's era cutting edge glass for the Fuji GX680, used for studio and professional use. From left to right, Peco Junior focused at infinity, with 65mm F5.6 GX680. Amazing to look through! Next the 80mm F5.6 GX680, then the 100mm F5.6 GX680, then the 125mm F3.2 Uber Glass. Best of the Best, they also make a F5.6 model. Finally the other Peco Jr, focused at infinity with the 180mm F3.2 GX680. Some portrait photographers say this lens is TOO sharp for portraiture, subjects complain. LOL All these lenses have Beeg image circles, allowing for full use of the Peco Junior's front and back movements. So the best lenses from that era, combined with the tiniest most precise view camera ever made. What a match-up! Can't wait to take out a small bag, small tripod, and try out all this new stuff. In the foreground is the new shorty sawed-off focusing rail, great with the really wide older lenses.

BTW I am contemplating getting a GOOD Medium Format Digital Back (Um, Hasselblad?) to maximize the fun and output. Here's a Guy on GetDPI.com who adapted these lenses to a high end digital camera:

Last edited:

Rick from GetDPI.com contacted me on Flikr, he wrote this nice article on MOdding the GX680 lenses to Digital. Well done Rick

Getting There Set of GX680 Lenses Seiko Shutters by Nokton48, on Flickr
  • Getting there with my set of Fuji GX680 lenses, with Seiko #2 Shutters added. Mounted on Plaubel Peco Junior boards and Minolta SRT cable releases, Yellow Filters on each, and Hoods too. From the left front, the 50mm F5.6, then the 65mm F5.6, then the 80mm F5.6. On the far right front, the 100mm F4. Back Row, from the left, the 125mm F3.2, then the 150mm F5.6. Next the 180mm F3.2, and on the far right, the 210mm F5.6 Also adding the 250mm F5.6, should be tommorrow, got another Seiko Shutter coming. The 50mm front view reminds me of the HAL9000 fisheye in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It looks about the same LOL. Testing phase is coming up. Will utilize them all depending on the situation. I doubt I'll take them out all at once, too much weight! But select two or three depending on what my intended use will be. In the studio I will have the luxury of selecting whichever meets the intended needs of the photograph. So very straightforward. And good to have a choice of focal lengths in the same modern glass. The 50mm and 65mm take a Gel 4x4 Fuji Hood which is cool with me; I have a complete set of 4x4 B&W Gel Wrattens

Last edited:
OK So I built this Jim Galvin 2x3 Graflex Back (bought from Glenn Evans) and I adapted it to the Peco Junior. The idea is to be able to use this with Graflex Wind Lever Backs, from which the Galvin Back was designed to use. So I picked up the pieces to make two usuable 220 6x7 RH20 Backs, a 120 RH10 (6x7), and also a usuable 120 RH8 (6x9). So I've cleaned these up, loaded with fresh film, and firstly shot a dummy roll through each to check the frame spacing. These are nice backs to use, flatten the film as it goes through, uncomplicated and comfortable to use. With 220 Shanghai I gain some 220 firepower as far as shooting without reloading, so that is a good thing. To see the groundglass fine detail I am making the fresnel lens easy to take off. To further get going I am thinking of ordering a custom made dark cloth, I think it will fit the Galvin Back very well and very functional with no downsides. And I have a lot of 2x3 Graphic Holders which also work just great in the Galvin. Finally I have a number of 2x3 Graphmatic Backs, so I will be able to shoot all kinds of emulsions in the Peco Junior. I've been looking at the Aptus 22 as a digital back possibility. Seems a like a lot of digital medium format back at lower money

Fred Newman at BZTS has a smaller BZTS Focus Hood, that I think will fit the 2x3 Galvin Back on the Peco Jr. Also it should work with the European 6x9 Peco Jr Back I have. And also, I found my Grey 2x3" Graflex Peco Junior Back, which it should also fit? This is getting to really be fun

I'm busy cleaning and loading old holders

Galvin 2x3 Graphic Back 75mm F8 Super Angulon Compur Twin Levels by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've been test shooting with this camera in the studio. Jim Galvin 2x3 Graphic Wind Back Peco Junior Plaubel with 75mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon. I have the specific Schneider Center Filter for the 75 F8 which will go on this. Good when doing exptreme movements. I like shooting 6x9cm images with the 75mm F8 it's a needle sharp Sinar approved lens. Added Two Bubble Levels from B&H, which make the camera now VERY precise to align. Very well made mechanism it's quick and seamless to operate. Looking at the Aptus 22 Digital Backs, it might be a good choice for this. A lot of medium format digital back for not that much money. Anyway this is ready to go outside. I will prolly be working out of my olde Zone VI Small Monorail Bag, I used to carry my 4x5 Norma around in it, it worked good. Last thing is a BZTS Focusing Hood, has elastic stretching fitting tightly, so I can compose in bright sunlight. Looking forward to testing this outside. Too cold right now!

Fred Newman at The Darkroom Store looked around for me, and he had in stock, a smaller version (fits about 18x18 inches), perfect for my two Peco Juniors. This finishes my basic kit for these cameras and it works great, will get used to it. Since I have three Spring-Loaded Sheet Film Backs, The Glenn Evans Galvin 2x3 (fits Graphic sheet and lever wind roll backs), The Plaubel Makiflex #526 Bail Back (fits 6x9 and 2x3 Linhof Glass Holders!, and finally, a grey 6x9 European Peco Jr Sheet Back, which came with dedicated 6x9 single shot holders, and a couple of double sided, too. This hood works with all of these, and is very well designed to be useful to me. Much nicer than the olde horse blanket! Camera shown with my Fuji GX680 180mm F3.2 in Seiko Shutter.

Last edited:
Back