At Last a Petri Color 35

My main issue with the Color 35 is that it takes more trouble to collapse the lens than with a Rollei 35, along with more potential mechanical wear doing the collapse, than with a Rollei 35. This, for a travel or pocket camera that might be collapsed frequently.

I had to take the top off of mine, to re-attach the 45 degree mirror (which has also been loose in 2 other Petri models that I have). I was surprised at the relatively light weight of the focus / lens collapse gearing, given what it's being asked to do, possibly regularly.

If anyone needs to get the top off, here's the quick rundown: Remove the rewind crank, and a collar that becomes visible on the rewind post. Remove the focus wheel. Set the shutter to 1/250, and aperture to f22, just so you'll remember, for re-assembly. Remove the screw on the right-hand side of the top cover. The cover then lifts free, with the shutter and aperture control wheels staying attached to the cover. 3 things to watch: the battery check button will probably fall away from the cover; if the camera is inverted, the shutter release post will fall out; I also had a super-thin brass bushing washer fall free, which I'm pretty sure came from the focus post, which is how I put it back together.

I own one for many years and could never get over the distance scale that's only visible in the finder...

Fun to fiddle, but really takes time to shoot with.

This was with the fungus lens:
8072550161_15a7874533_o.jpg

I have a black Petri Color 35 with fungus on lens, so the images are soft. Then I removed the lens groups and made it a pinhole camera. I used a needle to make a ~0.25mm hole on a piece of tin foil. Then the tin foil was taped to a 18mm washer, with some tape on the washer's edge. The washer was then inserted into the barrel from the front side. I still can use the shutter. Nice little setup.
Below the first picture shows the pinhole, and the second picture was taken with the pinhole - probably ~30 second exposure.

View attachment 108471

View attachment 108472

Back