Best pocketable point and shoot

Add me to the XA group. The OP did say "pants pockets"....so for those who said Rollei35....you must be wearing sweat pants & not skinny jeans
The XA is a nice concept but the lens is just not good enough.

As for the "pocketable" aspect, I wouldn't want to carry any kind of camera in my pants pockets...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Film: Olympus XA2

Digital: Sony RX100 MIII

Either of these are pants pocket sized and super easy too use! Battery life on the Sony is solid as well for the size.

@Huss - that Nikon Lite Touch looks really cool. After a bit of reading, it sounds like it could be a great camera to have around. Do you still have yours? What do you think of it for general use?

@Huss - that Nikon Lite Touch looks really cool. After a bit of reading, it sounds like it could be a great camera to have around. Do you still have yours? What do you think of it for general use?

Yes still have it as I just bought it a few months ago. It takes absolutely cracking pics, the lens is shockingly good. The camera itself makes you realize why it is called LiteTouch. It is very lightly built - and feels like you need to take care of it i.e. no rough handling/dropping etc.
I got mine NOS, just to make sure I didn't get an abused one. I've only shot one roll through it (as I have so many other cameras) but will definitely use it more.
Meter is perfect, focus is great, size is perfect.

I remember selling those new in the 90s. (I'm getting old, relating these kinds of stories!)

The people who bought them were ones who saw the value in a 28 mm lens, rather than a 35 or 40.

Olympus Stylus outsold it probably 4:1, as it was a much more elegant design. (not necessarily better pix though!)

I saw mentioned in a YouTube review somewhere that the first touch of the flash button canceled it, instead of having to press 4X, like others.

I remember selling those new in the 90s. (I'm getting old, relating these kinds of stories!)

The people who bought them were ones who saw the value in a 28 mm lens, rather than a 35 or 40.

Olympus Stylus outsold it probably 4:1, as it was a much more elegant design. (not necessarily better pix though!)

I saw mentioned in a YouTube review somewhere that the first touch of the flash button canceled it, instead of having to press 4X, like others.

Yeah it's all about the lens with this camera. The results are something else. I could totally see how the Stylus outsold it as the Nikon's design - while now is elegant and simple - back then was boring and nondescript compared to the Stylus.
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/filmcamera/compact/af600_af600_qd/index.htm

I have just got this:

attachment.php

The upcoming weekend will test it against Contax T2

Attachments

• DSCF3831.jpg
    DSCF3831.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0
Have owned Ricoh GR, Contax T, Olympus XA (original, 2 and 4), Rollei 35 and Yashica T4 and a Contax T2.

Ricoh is most pocketable and has best controls hands down along with a very good lens. Contax T2 has the best lens which really shines with color film.

The rest all have flaws that make them much less useable to me. The Olympus lens has really bad flare and not great quality. The Yashica has a lens comparable to T2 but the controls are fiddly and reset themselves every time you switch it off which is annoying. It is lighter and water resistant. The barn door Contax is awkward and the Rollei is just too heavy and thick.

I'm also looking for a pocketable film camera.

Previously had an Olympus MJU II which is outstanding, but it bothered me that it makes noises when I switch it on and it advances the film. Plus, you have to disable the flash before you shoot because the default mode is auto. I also didn't like that it spools the film leader into the cartridge when rewinding. Plus, every time you think about taking a picture, you have to turn it on, then a motor moves the lens, which is noisy and drains the battery -- even if you end up not taking a picture.

The best pocketable film camera I have ever used was a Minox 35. Totally love it! There are several models, most of them outstanding, especially the later models with the multi-coated lens. Tiny camera and total stealth because it makes zero noise. Battery lasts forever. But the problem is reliability: I had to buy 10 of them (all advertised as "mint") until I found one that actually worked. Then I bought one that partially worked (light meter was hit & miss), but a few weeks later that one crapped out as well, another $100 down the drain.

Edit:
What about the Fuji Nature S? 24mm f/1.9 (!) lens -- amazing! Has anyone tried it?

Nabbed a Fuji DL-300 / Cardia Hite for $50. I'm pretty sure that's the cheapest 35mm f/2.8 point & shoot available these days.

I'm also looking for a pocketable film camera.

Previously had an Olympus MJU II which is outstanding, but it bothered me that it makes noises when I switch it on and it advances the film. Plus, you have to disable the flash before you shoot because the default mode is auto. I also didn't like that it spools the film leader into the cartridge when rewinding. Plus, every time you think about taking a picture, you have to turn it on, then a motor moves the lens, which is noisy and drains the battery -- even if you end up not taking a picture.

The best pocketable film camera I have ever used was a Minox 35. Totally love it! There are several models, most of them outstanding, especially the later models with the multi-coated lens. Tiny camera and total stealth because it makes zero noise. Battery lasts forever. But the problem is reliability: I had to buy 10 of them (all advertised as "mint") until I found one that actually worked. Then I bought one that partially worked (light meter was hit & miss), but a few weeks later that one crapped out as well, another $100 down the drain.

What about the Fuji Klasse W? 24mm f/1.9 (!) lens -- amazing! Has anyone tried it?

If you like the Minox then you need a Ricoh FF1.
Same size, better ergos (shutter button, single wind film advance), excellent lens and RELIABLE!! I like them so much I bought two. Both work perfectly.

You’ll find the T2 has a way greater meter range and more shutter speeds.

I have noticed that exposure management is more complicated with this Rollei (aka Fuji Klasse) but with some extra features - e.g. in AE or AP mode the slowest speed is 1/2, for slower (1s, 2s etc) the B must be enabled manually (but speeds can be programmed), when T2 manages it all automatically up to 1s and then it goes to auto B mode. I am not sure what is better. On the plus side, the fastest speed here is 1/1000 vs 1/500 in T2 (although only with small aperture, so it does not help much). T2 also has shutter speed information in the VF. The only real benefit vs T2 is size. I did not compare IQ yet. BUT. I only paid for my Rollei 200 EUR and it sells for at least twice as this on the market, so if I don't like it I'll trade it for a lot of film.

Back