Camera and Coffee

The one with the selenium meter was a very popular camera in the 70s in The Netherlands; in fact it was then the cheapest SLR available. I was very jealous of a boy in my class who had gotten one for his birthday.

Erik.
I remember a review of the Zenit 11 (very similar camera) in a magazine back in 1989 (still have that issue) - They were quite brutal with that review. The reality of it is that Zenits gave access to photography for million of people. And this Zenit seems to be working well.

Sydney Camera and Coffee meet up, December 2022. Taken with Instax SQ6.

U27021.1681556792.0.jpg

It's always refreshing to go through this thread, perhaps time for a simple contribution from my side...

U3692I1541950035.SEQ.0.jpg
Robert, in the mid 70s these were "the" camera for climbers. My friends and i all had them. The lenses were terrific. I always loved the camera but hated the way it handled. But they were tough and we got fine photos with them.... Real nostalgia for me.

A glorious Sunday morning in the backyard. It rained heavily yesterday evening so everything is wet but now highlighted with crisp sunny blue skies. The birds are in full force this morning - the neighbourhood Flicker stopped by to announce its presence, the Carolina Wrens in constant call and eyeballing one of our birdhouses, Blue Jays are being their normal bullying selves, a Red Shouldered Hawk swooped down low a little while ago, White Throated Sparrow's mournful call can be heard in the distance, my wife thinks she spotted a Nuthatch scooting down a neighbour's walnut tree, and the Mourning Doves are trying to make sense of it all.

A fresh pot of Aldi French Roast in our Le Creuset French Press (and my ever-reliable $0.50 coffee mug from the Goodwill in Billings, Montana), the Sunday New York Times, and the 1977 Hasselblad 500C/M with a matching 1977 80/2.8 Tessar, Hasselblad pistol grip (which, if you haven't tried them, are extremely useful) and the CFV II 50c back. I haven't used this combination with the digital back as much as I should, but I'm now discovering what I've been missing and will likely keep it like this for a while.

Unfortunately Sunday chores await....

Sunday Morning Coffee Etc by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last winter, I got the urge for masala chai, and while there's plenty of commercially produced chai mix or concentrate, they've tended to be too bland, too sweet or (especially) too expensive for my liking. So I did what everyone else does: Watch YT videos of a chai wallah in action, and attempted to follow along. I thought the results were not bad for a guy who wasn't introduced to the stuff prior to adulthood. Base is a decent but inexpensive Darjeeling black tea.

35 mm Ai-s PC-Nikkor purchased from Treehouse.
_5071301.jpg

I must have taken this late at night, because it looks like I laid off the tea for the evening! Working Minolta Hi-Matic F was pieced together from a couple of wrecked cameras.

Photographed on Ferrania P30 film with Nikkormat FTn + 55/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor.

Film was processed in Cinestill P30 monobath, 6 minutes @ 24 degrees, normal agitation. Not bad here, but kind of contrasty in my outdoor photos, so next time maybe I'll consider adjusting the development parameters.
View attachment 4816374
The lens on that Hi-Matic F has a reputation as being very sharp. It has a brass plate [~4cm X 4cm] that all the lens and electronics are mounted on. But remains very, very, light, 12.392 oz, unloaded. I also managed to piece one together but have an Olympus 35 ED which has a super sharp lens too. The rangefinders in the two cameras are something to behold, bright and sharp. The auto exposure shutter systems quite accurate. My guess is the lenses were among the first computer designed.....my unlearned guess...... On the Olympus, if you get one not working, try taking out the battery holder and if I remember correctly put some electrical tape on the bottom of the battery holder..seems the old insulation fails and it shorts out the electronics!

Back