Votes: 209 68.1%
  • Nikon 35Ti

Votes: 98 31.9%

• Total voters

Colin G.

Established
Local time
10:05 PM
In another post I questioned owners of the T3 about the viewfinder. Upon doing more research into the camera, I came across the Nikon 35Ti. Both seem like excellent point-n-shoots, and I probably couldn't go wrong with either.

Anyways, does anyone have experience with both? Which would you recommend?

I have the 35Ti and have mixed feelings about it. It's a bit too bulky for my taste and the focus is a bit slow. Other than that it's a very nice camera. The lens seems to be a bit less contrasty and maybe also less sharp than what I've seen from the T3.

The T3 is usually more expensive than the 35Ti, though, so that's something to keep in mind.

I'll probably be selling my 35Ti again as I use my Mju II most of the times anyways.

contax > nikon

I base this analysis on the contax t3 having cooler photos on flickr, and the fact that contax/zeiss lenses and camera interfaces/ergonomics are nearly always better than nikons.

T3.

Superior build quality, its size! (which is its selling point for me) and that gem of a lens on it.

I've played around with a friend's Nikon 28Ti and I have to say, it's very impressive. Solid build quality, but a bit on the large side, which is where the T3 would be a better option. The analogue dials are a bit gimmicky, but cool to look at. And the Nikkor lens is nothing to sneeze at either - sharp, contrasty and the slides I've seen from the camera are beautiful. I'm sure the 35Ti would be much the same.

They are both excellent cameras with superb optics. I use them both and must say it is hard to pic. The T3 gives you better control over flash is one advantage of the T3.

I kept my T3 and sold my 28ti. The main reason was size, not performance. 28ti was superb and I miss it's lit frame lines, very nicely done.

I've owned a 35Ti since they came out, Excellent metering, focus is a bit sluggish (even when using manual pre-set), the lens is better than people give credit, respectable battery life, the battery cover is a bit flimsy although I've never had any problems. They are susceptible to dust in the vf. Probably the worst thing about the camera is the flash overide button located on the front is awkward to use (a much better design on the 28Ti). All in all it's a great camera and did I say it has fantastic metering.

Probably the worst thing about the camera is the flash overide button located on the front is awkward to use (a much better design on the 28Ti). All in all it's a great camera and did I say it has fantastic metering.

My 35Ti has the 28Ti style flash selection button (Sno: 5006552) it must be a very late version?
I agree it is a very good camera – the only down side is the lack of manual film ISO selection.

David.
http://davidalockwood.wordpress.com

Hi, i cannot say anything about the nikon 35ti, i´ve seen only on pictures, but i´m sure it´s a great camera.
I own a t3, it´s superb, high quality, very qick and reliable focus, up to 1/1200 speed and the lens is another story!!!!
All these features in a shirt pocket size camera, what else can i ask for?

After business lunch :) P mode.

4955295304_c803e51930_b.jpg

Bye!

I've had a 35Ti. When I got it I played with a T3 in the shop, which was much more expensive, and it felt quite cheap - well, quite cheap for the price...

The 35Ti is great, I didn't find the flash override button very hard to use and there's a custom function you can set to make sure it is off by default. It also has more finder information than most cameras of this type, and the lens is very good. I didn't personally find the focus slow but then maybe I'm used to MF cameras.

The only bad thing about it is that it's really quite large, in particular it's too deep to fit in most pockets.

Purely for that reason I'd go to a T3 in an ideal world, but not given the 2x price difference.

If you didn't need a 35mm lens I'd look into a Ricoh GR1V , which has pretty much the most perfect interface of any compact camera I've ever had - all the features you need, but not so many it becomes a hassle to use.

I have a T2 and not a T3. Are they very different? I doubt it.

I like the T2 a lot.

I believe they are different in one very critical aspect (correct me if I'm wrong):

T3 moves the lens into focus when you half-depress, T2 doesn't. (In manual mode T3 leaves the lens at focus distance). T3 then has minimal shutter lag compared to T2.

I really like the analog controls though on the T2...A hybrid would have been perfect.

I've used the T2, T3, Nikon 35ti, the Leica Minilux and CM... my favorite is the CM, then the Minilux, then the T2 (very slow though). The T3 has a great lens though. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I've owned the T3, 35ti, T2, TC-1, GR1v and a Minilux all at the same time, except the T2. After extensive testing I kept the GR1v and sold the rest. The T3 is small, neat and easy to use. Took nice pictures too. The 35ti was a real beauty. The matrix meter on it is a work of art, seldom fooled and the lens is pin sharp. The Ricoh GR1v is better than both of them and ultimately much more pocketable. I also bought another T2 as it was simply a more pleasant experience to use than the T3. The only one I miss is the Minolta TC-1 but I needed the money...

Similar to muf, I've owned the T3, TC-1, GR1/s/v, and have played extensively with friend's 35ti and 28ti. Sold the TC-1 last month, now the only keeper is the GR1v. A real shooter it is, with nice optics (not as good as the Sonnar and Nikkors though), custom ISO setting and what is the most important to me, top ergonomics.

Seems I'm going off topic as well...:)

Yes Colin, as you have mentioned in the original post, both are top class shooters that gives more than excellent if not superb results.

Major difference to me: The T3 is pocketable, The 35ti is not. However the Nikons (35ti and 28ti) are a little more comfortable to shoot with. They come with matrix metering, better handling and better craftsmanship at a cost of size and weight, while the T3 has slightly better optics, smaller size and much reduced weight, and is slightly faster in focusing. Do notice that many pros use the T3 for important assignments because its dual shutter mechanism offers an astonishing top speed of 1/1250s, a feat nothing in this class could compare to. The 35ti's with others here, of which the top shutter speed is a standard 1/500s.

One thing that troubles me with the T3 though: rich in features it is, it lacks dedicated controls like a compensation dial. To compensate you must press that tiny Mode button hard first for four times (!). Changing rolls mid-way is a pain too.

Back