Contax T3 vs. Nikon 35Ti

Contax T3 vs. Nikon 35Ti

• Contax T3

Votes: 209 68.1%
  • Nikon 35Ti

Votes: 98 31.9%

• Total voters
Regarding the T3. The killer for me as Archlich pointed out is that certain controls that would benefit as a direct selection on the camera are only accessable through the menu. The 35ti suffered this fate too. Of the two, I would choose the 35ti because it was more enjoyable to use than the T3. It felt like a real solid well crafted instrument, where the T3 felt like a posh persons toy to show off to their friends. I concur the T3 has better optics, but the difference in picture quality between the two is not high enough to overlook the pleasure I got out of using and owning the 35ti.

Do notice that many pros use the T3 for important assignments because its dual shutter mechanism offers an astonishing top speed of 1/1250s, a feat nothing in this class could compare to. The 35ti's with others here, of which the top shutter speed is a standard 1/500s.

I know a pro (fashion) who uses a T3 for his work too. His reason: lens quality and minimal shutter lag compared to other P&S cameras.

I don't know about the 35TI, but the shutter lag issue is a big deal for me. I went from a Yashica T4 and a Contax T2 to the T3 for this reason.

The GR1 has a good response time, but I don't like 28mm these days.

Get a Rollei 35. Simple to use. Unobtrusive. Great pix. Used to have a T3. never got used to the menu although the lens was great.

Last edited:
I have had both and the lenses are superb on both. I am blown away by the optics for both. The T3 has better control for the flash. To solve the problem get both.

I am impressed with how accurate and sophisticated the matrix metering is on the Nikon 35Ti. I would not hesitate shooting slides with the 35Ti.

And the analogue gauge is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on a camera.

I really wanted the 35ti. I went out and found one in a store window. It was oddly bulky and not as compact as I'd imagined. It seemed lumpy compared to my Hexar Af. I kind of just gave up on owning one. Like a woman seen through drunken eyes--good from far... Still interested in the contax if I can get my hands on one.

I agree DB. I had a 35Ti for a bit. It was loud and clunky next to the Contax (T2 in my case). Not what I expected at all. The one I had was malfunctioning as well which did not help tge first impression.

For cheap and cheerful, try a yashica T 4. It has a nice zeiss lenses. I never had luck with my GR 1. I used these cameras for climbing. The yashica is more rugged.

I'd rate the Contax T2, Ricoh GR1v and Minolta TC-1 above both. If looking at a Yashica then I'd personally go for the Yashica T3 which has an f2.8 lens which I feel puts it in front of the T4/T5's f3.5. My Yashica T3 compared to my dads Yashica T5 is a much better made camera. If I had to get rid of all but one, then I'd keep the Ricoh GR1v. Form, fit and useability puts on top of the pile. IMHO. Lets face it. There's not much in the picture taking capability of the top of line P&S's so the useability is a real decider for me.

I own the 35Ti since July 2009.....noisy winder, ultra sharp lens & perfect exposure metering, even with Velvia 50....
But is not rough enough, it starts with a faulty switch-on that get serviced by official assistance .......some months ago the shutter became erratic and now is totally stucked.....

When it works, it takes these pics: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=34389581%40N07&q=35ti&m=text

Can a T3 owner clear up the shutter lag question? The T2 which I own is from the early days of P&S, when the lens would move into focus only after the shutter was hit, leading to significant shutter lag. Does the T3 have the more modern AF where the lens is focused on the half-depress?

Other than that, I like the T2, especially the manual controls. The dedicated EV wheel is a plus especially since the camera's simple spot meter often demands compensation. IF you focus on a face, then EV goes to +1. If you focus on a shadow area, EV goes to -1 etc.

All you peeps talking about shutter lag. Are you all taking sports shots? Because if not, then why is a slight delay causing such a big fuss?

I love my T3. I've taken it on my last few international trips instead of my M6...and never regretted it.

The leaf shutter allows high fill-flash sync speeds, it's Zeiss Sonnar let's light reach the far corners of the film frame, and it's unbelievably sharp.

Shutter lag can also be a problem if you're doing street photography, etc. or anytime you need to capture a moment.

All you peeps talking about shutter lag. Are you all taking sports shots? Because if not, then why is a slight delay causing such a big fuss?

To answer my own question, a reviewer of both who bought the T3 specifically for its reduced shutter lag found that, even with selectable pre-focus, the T3 had a bit of lag and in the end was not significantly different than the T2 in that regard.

Apparently, neither come close to the Olympus XA and its wonderfully direct shutter control.

With that in mind, I think I'll stick to the T2 and its manual controls, although others like the T3's small size and upgraded lens.

Apparently, neither come close to the Olympus XA and its wonderfully direct shutter control.

The Ricoh GR1v has a 'snap' mode which basically captures everything from 10 feet onwards. No shutter lag whatsoever. The Contax T does the same only it's manual wind.

Back