Contax T3 vs. Nikon 35Ti

Contax T3 vs. Nikon 35Ti

• Contax T3

Votes: 209 68.1%
  • Nikon 35Ti

Votes: 98 31.9%

• Total voters
How does the T3 compare to the G1/45 Planar combo?

The G1 has a rather squinty viewfinder, AF is the way to go as MF is a chore and quite pointless. The 45 Planar is the lens that first made me love Zeiss, it is stellar.
I have bought and sold 2 G2s and 2 G1s, we have a weird relationship. I love the optics but can't get along with cameras, as beautifully made as they are. Happily the Zeiss ZM lenses (50mm Planar in particular) have satisfied that need on my M3.

Sorry to bother your post.

i need a suggestion for 'compact AF P&S' , my choice is
- Contax T2 (T3 is too expensive for me)
- Fuji Klasse W
- GR1v
- any suggestion ? (should be small enough to go under my jacket :D)

* i need a 'hackable ASA' ability for push/pull film, and which one is better 28mm or 35mm focal length ?

- Fuji Klasse W
- GR1v

* i need a 'hackable ASA' ability for push/pull film, and which one is better 28mm or 35mm focal length ?

Lots of people love the Contax T2, although it has a 38mm focal length which is a bit closer than 35 and definitely closer than 28. If you want to capture scene and context, a camera with 28mm may be a better option.

The Klasse W is still in production (I think) and therefore would be easier to have repaired if necessary. This provides some interesting reading regarding AF speed and overall performance:

http://www.35mmc.com/04/02/2014/fuji-klasse-w-final-thoughts/

In fact, that whole website has a lot of interesting articles about compact 35mm cameras, so take a bit of time to look.

The Ricoh GR1v is another excellent camera, according to others' experiences.

It sounds like you want something that will be small and concealable. I've read that the motorized film advance of the Ricoh GR1v isn't that quiet. The Contax T3 film advance is pretty quiet, so I imagine the T2 wouldn't be so bad, either.

- Fuji Klasse W
- GR1v

Unfortunately I've not used the exact three you have asked about but have owned - amongst many others - T3, Klasse S and GR1s. I have none of these any more, only an R3A, IIIf and mju-ii. But if I were to buy one again, it would be the Fuji Klasse without hesitation. I found the lens sharper and a better render than the GR1, and the Klasse is nicer than the T3 in use (also I think it smaller than the T2 but could be wrong). Everything you want is there and where you want it and, and this is a big AND, they are still serviceable by Fuji in Japan …something becoming more troublesome and expensive with the Contax Ts and Ricoh GR1s.

Here's some old (bad) examples from the Klasse (in my naive hands).

Dougal by stillshunter, on Flickr

sunset on lichen by stillshunter, on Flickr

…and more lack-lustre attempts can be viewed here.

Every time I write about my Klasse I realise how much I miss it. Sold it to another RFF member who still seems to shoot with it regularly - from what I see on Flickr.

So unequivocally a vote for the Klasse.

Most if not all the Ricoh's I have had have seen, have had dodgy/unresponsive LCD displays.
Can be fixed.
But bear it in mind..........
Mju II?
Yashica T4/5?

I have a Minolta AF1 knocking around at the moment.
Any one shot with one?

Funny, all this talk about the T3 has not only made me get mine out again, but has put the urge in me to find a Hexar AF! I almost bought a black version that was sitting in a shop in 2008, but I reasoned that the T3 was smaller and seemed to make the same amount of noise, so I could save money and not buy it. But the lure of a 35mm f2 lens and a viewfinder is calling again. Sigh.

I currently have the T3, and the lens on it is wonderful IMHO. Very pocketable, excellent for travel and discretion. Great build quality, accepts filters, I only wish it had the 'manual focus' setup of the Contax T2. An additional bonus is that they can still be serviced, which may not be the case of most other high-end compact film cameras.

I've seen wonderful images from the 35ti as well, but haven't had one in my hands yet.

No.

But in real life I find it shoots faster than the T3 - the distance is acquired instantly (with the active infrared beam) and the barrel, unlike the T3 which takes its time to do so, extends quickly without hesitation.

The only part the T2 is slower than the T3 is manual focusing, as the T3 pre-extends its lens after you set the distance. Again, in actual use the T2 is on par with the T3, thanks to its dedicated MF wheel which saves a lot more time than it takes to extend the lens.

In order of preference:

1. Minilux (in spite of the E02 curse)
2. Rollei 35 (although not really a P&S)
3. Contax T3

All three have splendid IQ.

have yet to try a nikon 35ti
but I recently got a T3,
I have no complain about the quality in terms of build of the camera and the lens.

but in terms of user experience, the thing I don't like about the T3 is the way you have to press the button and rotate the dial to turn it on, which I find is troublesome.
and, the respond on the shutter isn't as responsive .

Even though the T3 is an excellent cam, perhaps better than the 35Ti (in any case more compact), I'd prefer the Nikon. The analogue display just wins it for me. ;)

i own both, but always seem to gravitate to the t3...maybe it's the compact size is just right for my little hands...actually, it's probably because when i shoot with flash on the 35ti, it drags the shutter (the t3 defaults to....1/60th?). i prefer the dark background instead of the mixed ambient, but that's just a personal taste i guess...also, the sonnar seems sharper :) i do however, prefer the layout on the 35ti better.

I have had both. Sold the Nikon and kept the T3.
The camera is more compact and I prefer the lens on the T3 (the Nikon is no slouch either).

Yes, it does

No it doesnt.

It locks the AF on the half press, but actually moves the lens on the full press.

The T3 can be set to move the lens on the half press, and then just trip the shutter on full press.

That said, both are very quick responsive shooters, and you're not really going to have problems with shutter lag with either.

I bought the T3, really appreciated the half press function, but I was still curious about the T2.

I ended up with both, and I can recommend either without hesitation.

Here is a size comparison photo between the T2 and 35TI.

Attachments

• nikon35ti_contaxT2_(1_of_1).jpg
    nikon35ti_contaxT2_(1_of_1).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2
Back