Coolpix A

Then there is awkward clothing choice for the "model", I mean who on their right mind wears a leather jacket for street photography?

Agreed...without Tyrolean trousers jacket alone isn't cutting it. Thus leather halfcase with camera in it is looking as a natural addition :)

Like an undercover cop working on the streets.

I mean, as simple as that. Being one fish among all other fish. Anything shiny that can catch an eye makes the diff between a good shot where everything is natural and an awkward one where the subject stares at photographer suspiciously.

Dressing up and appearance is the most neglected aspect of street photography.

Like some sort of undercover fish-ninja in fancy dress? I think I'll just wear whatever and not worry about it.

How are street photographers . . . supposed to dress?

ninja.jpg

damn! you just beat me to that joke !

LOL!

Anyway, just did the side-by-side thing with the Coolpix A vs X2:

top-sxs.png

top-nfrnt.png

back-sxs.png

front-nfrnt.png

Sure have made it small ... the X2 feels small to me. Might be too small for my hands to be comfortable. It's controls look cleanly laid out, however: reasonably simple and understandable.

I'll presume that the top control dial on the Nikon changes what it operates depending on the mode selector. Nice thing on the X2 is that the dials stay the same, the operating mode is changed implicitly based on how they are set in combination. Which is easier for users to remember? I don't know, I just know which I prefer. ;-)

G

Ooh, I really like how small it is compared with the X2. Having handled the X1 and Sony RX-100, I think something in between would feel about right. I can definitely imagine this slipping into jacket pockets or a corner of the shoulder bag.

It makes me wonder if Leica is going to incorporate a video mode in an X3, now that the M line has acquired video, and cameras like the Nikon A are coming into existence.

How well does Lightroom handle Nikon raw files? Any comments about that?

And another comment about the design. This may seem a bit backhanded, but I like that it looks like 'just another consumer digicam'. It reminds me of those designs from the early to mid 2000's, like the old Canons and Nikons. Considering that was ten years ago, they've got a kind of neo-retro design going. A camera like this will pass unnoticed. People will think it's an old digicam and pay no attention to it.

AF sound - it's an electronic shutter, no sound.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I won't requote it all, just the most important part. Silent like the J1/V1 - Nice :)
There really are only a handful of decent silent/near silent cameras.

Not a big fan of the electronic shutter. Much prefer the leaf shutters used in the X100 and the Sigma DP2m. They are pretty silent and you can still feel the shutter go off when the cameras in your hand.

It says "Mechanical and CMOS electronic shutter" in the description. Also, the speed is limited to 1/2000, that doesn't sound like a very fast "electronic" shutter to me.

And another comment about the design. This may seem a bit backhanded, but I like that it looks like 'just another consumer digicam'. It reminds me of those designs from the early to mid 2000's, like the old Canons and Nikons. Considering that was ten years ago, they've got a kind of neo-retro design going. A camera like this will pass unnoticed. People will think it's an old digicam and pay no attention to it.

Agreed! I really like the look of it.

AF - I don't have the measuring equipment and I'm not sure where do those that comment on AF speed and accuracy get the info, let's indeed give them benefit of the doubt, but I notice no issues with AF.

Probably comparing e.g. Steve Huff's X100s video on AF speed with a few from Asia on the NCA. The former seems much faster, the latter not slow.

Nothing beats real experience though :D so thanks for the AF (and all the other) comments - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Xpanded

I'm softing to this camera in some ways. They seem to have gotten more things right than I initially thought. Will be interesting to have one in my hands when I get a chance even if only as a sign of things to come.

It says "Mechanical and CMOS electronic shutter" in the description. Also, the speed is limited to 1/2000, that doesn't sound like a very fast "electronic" shutter to me.

You know, you could be and probably are right. Could you please post the link because I couldn't find it in official specs. I mentioned eletonic based on assumption, my bad. Although 1/2000 speed might also be limited by the fast the aperture blades need to close/open for exposure. In any case, shutter remain silent save for aperture blade whizz.

Probably comparing e.g. Steve Huff's X100s video on AF speed with a few from Asia on the NCA. The former seems much faster, the latter not slow.

Nothing beats real experience though :D so thanks for the AF (and all the other) comments - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Xpanded

After seeing that video yesterday I was left with an impression that they could have been using micro mode, in which focus is indeed slowish and should be used exclusively for closer than 50cm focusing. But that could be me.

At the moment the only improvement I'd add personally is the ability to scroll through focus points faster, with programmable size of gaps between points, like on DSLR, for faster left/right jumping. Right now it just kind of flows casually.

Ooh, I really like how small it is compared with the X2. Having handled the X1 and Sony RX-100, I think something in between would feel about right. I can definitely imagine this slipping into jacket pockets or a corner of the shoulder bag.

It makes me wonder if Leica is going to incorporate a video mode in an X3, now that the M line has acquired video, and cameras like the Nikon A are coming into existence.

How well does Lightroom handle Nikon raw files? Any comments about that?

We must have different sized hands. ;-) The RX100 felt unworkably too small for me. The X2 is very comfortable, particularly when I fit a half case on it. I kinda like that the X2 is 'pure still camera' ... I only very rarely use the video capture mode on either of my other two cameras that have it. But that's an 'aside the point.'

Lightroom handles NEF files very nicely, from my experience processing a friend's D300s captures. I doubt you'll see any issues there.

G

It has a leaf shutter and uses some assist from the sensor circuitry, like some Nikon DSLRs in the past have.

G

Back