Coolpix A

I noticed it was released in the USA and is in stock. I would say that is not a good sign for Nikon regarding its pricing. Here's to hoping for a quick reducing of the price. I decided I'm in at $800.

Check out post 24 from this thread on serious compacts. Ray has posted some user experience about te camera. Plus he has a size comparison w/ his lx7 and gxr next to it. Godfrey already showed how small it is, but the picture here really drives it home. Really a nice size for a apsc sensor size camera.

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f38/nikon-coolpix-black-silver-stock-b-h-17465/index3.html#post118959

For me, still not interested.. But it is interesting that Nikon is pressing w/ an apsc after te Nikon one version 2 launch.

Gary

A recent update from Ray from the thread above. He has compared his Fuji xp1 w/ the 18 and the coolpix a is sharper in the corners.

Gary

One of the post I made when the rx1 was released was that Sony could have used rx10. I had posted, could there be an rx10 in the works w/ APS-c sensor... If there was, it looks like Nikon beat it at its own game.. As I look at these shots from Ray over at serious compacts, I would have to say, if I did not already have my rx100, I would seriously consider buying the Coolpix A. A compact APS-c size sensor camera I can stick in my jean pocket. When my rx100 gives up,the ghost...hopefully this market segment will still be around. If I need a vf for it, I would probably slap the external
Ovf from my sigma dp1m on it.

Gary

I noticed it was released in the USA and is in stock. I would say that is not a good sign for Nikon regarding its pricing. Here's to hoping for a quick reducing of the price. I decided I'm in at $800.

I think I am too at that price though I still really, really wish it was a 35mm equiv rather than 28.

Gary, thanks for that forum link.

That isn't too hard to believe. The Fuji 18mm is kind of regular in its performance... nothing special.

That maybe true, but given the overall size of the camera they did a lot ofvwork w/ getting a small lens like that w/ such good optics and I don't remember Nikon producing a 18 in te past that was as good as the Fuji, but I could be wrong since I have not followed the new Nikon dslr lenses for quite a while.

Gary

I picked this little camera up in my local shop today - I didn't want to like it but I did - ergonomically speaking other than the "delete" (trash can) button, I can hold it in one hand and have most functionality there at my thumb or ring finger (FN button). It had a good weight to it. And after seeing this comparison on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81213985@N04/8578912232/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I may actually consider picking one of these up as I don't see a Ricoh GRD V on the horizon...

Cheers,
Dave

A GRD V is on the horizon this summer.

I keep hearing that but have seen nada - until I actually see an official announcement; I'm not holding my breath.. . :(

I can tell you that the build quality on the Nikon, when compared to previous GRD models, is superior to the Ricoh (because I've owned the GRD II and III)

Cheers,
Dave

I agree. I just can't spend $1100, so I'm waiting for a price reduction before I bite.

I think that will come soon enough if units don't move for Nikon.

The "store" price up here was $1149 and I asked if there was a discount for me and I got the "Ya.. how about $1062" which basically beats B&H's price by about $30 - which is really incredible - it's still expensive so I wouldn't go nuts just yet - but what has got me is the following:
1) the image quality comparison I posted earlier from Flickr
2) the same sensor as Nikon's D7100
3) the 28mm FOV
4) the ergonomics (this is the most important to me in a P&S and what made me a HUGE fan of Ricoh's GRD series)

Cheers,
Dave

Question: can you turn off the LCD, and is there some stupid 'power light' that remains on while the camera is in operation? I like being able to turn on a camera and not have blazing lights or LCD's announce that it is on.

Question: can you turn off the LCD, and is there some stupid 'power light' that remains on while the camera is in operation? I like being able to turn on a camera and not have blazing lights or LCD's announce that it is on.

By the looks of the user manual; no :(

It looks like you can turn the brightness of the LCD down but never "off" - this is a "minus" for me because, if I recall, I could turn off the LCD on the GRD when/if I wanted to use an external finder.

Cheers,
Dave

Turning off screen may depend on intended use as well..for example no af and just do zone/hyper focus. But if u intend to use af, then some sort of af focus confirm is required whether that is a beep sound or a green light where u can c it from the ovf. For example, the sigma dp Merrill series can handle all of the above... Both beep and green light when in af and setup for zone/hyper focus.. But I hear that it is not as good as the generation prior to the sigma Merrill series.. Another approach is the snap focus of the Ricoh gxr series lessors.

If the Coolpix has a display button, then usually cycling thru will eventually have the LCD turn off option. If it is not there now, so long as the button is there, I don't c why it cannot be a firmware update.

Anyway just some thoughts...

Gary

but what has got me is the following:
1) the image quality comparison I posted earlier from Flickr
2) the same sensor as Nikon's D7100
3) the 28mm FOV
4) the ergonomics (this is the most important to me in a P&S and what made me a HUGE fan of Ricoh's GRD series)

I agree... and I like how the lens only "telescopes" out a small amount. That is very important to me.

I agree... and I like how the lens only "telescopes" out a small amount. That is very important to me.

Yep.

I concur - I know people have *** ***'d on this camera because the X100s is, well, basically the same price (give or take $100-$200) but I know I can't put an X100 in my pocket like the Coolpix A (or like the GRD series) and I already have a Fuji X-Trans body in the X-Pro1. This is a good "old school" style P&S. I like what I've seen so far.

Cheers,
Dave

the "problem" with these cameras is they all have some kind of "fault" or "advantage" that another camera doesn't have. it's like collecting different toys but none of them have exactly what you want and the urge to collect all of them in order to have every situation covered.

the "problem" with these cameras is they all have some kind of "fault" or "advantage" that another camera doesn't have. it's like collecting different toys but none of them have exactly what you want and the urge to collect all of them in order to have every situation covered.

And this is a big reason why I've accumulated so much gear. Fortunately, better image quality and richer features are beginning to reach more and more camera size levels.

DSLR's used to have a monopoly on 'decent' image quality. Then came micro four thirds, shortly followed by aps-c compacts and other mirrorless cameras. Companies are seeing a market in the 'serious compacts' and are cramming bigger and bigger sensors into smaller and smaller cameras. It's becoming easier to find a camera that does most of what you want in a small package.

Many of my purchases have come as a seeming solution to a niche problem. For example, a number of years ago I was shooting with the 5D Mark II in the City on an overcast day, and a light drizzle began to fall. I stashed the DSLR in my bag and made my way up a street past a luxury hotel, and there in front of me were two wedding parties milling about. I wanted to pull out the Canon but it was zipped away deep in the bag, and suddenly I thought, 'I want a high quality compact that is ready in an instant and can be carried in a pocket'. Shortly thereafter, I bought a Ricoh GRD III.

The GRD III was a marvel of convenience and stealth, but I sometimes wanted a zoom, and the video mode was balls. Ah, Canon had a S90, which covers zoom and good video! So that was added to the bag.

As much as I loved these cameras, the small sensor image quality began to bug me. When the Ricoh GXR was announced, with its aps-c modules and legendary Ricoh ergonomics, I became very excited. Then a 28mm module and Leica M-mount module came, and I was sold. Finally, I could have aps-c image quality in my coat pocket, and a native Leica mount digital to boot!

After some time, I realized that as much as I love the GXR, I still yearned for a camera of GRD size, but with GXR image quality. Hence, why I am now eyeing the Nikon A with increasing interest. But the blasted LCD doesn't turn off!!! :bang:

After some time, I realized that as much as I love the GXR, I still yearned for a camera of GRD size, but with GXR image quality. Hence, why I am now eyeing the Nikon A with increasing interest. But the blasted LCD doesn't turn off!!! :bang:

I really really really hope that Nikon can have that thing turn off via firmware - I'm not sure why you wouldn't include such a feature as it would "help" sell your ridiculously overpriced optical viewfinder :D :D :D :D

Regardless, I'm hopeful that they would do this.

Cheers,
Dave

Back