Coolpix A

We must have different sized hands. ;-) The RX100 felt unworkably too small for me. The X2 is very comfortable, particularly when I fit a half case on it. I kinda like that the X2 is 'pure still camera' ... I only very rarely use the video capture mode on either of my other two cameras that have it.

I have to agree with you there... while I decided to sell my X2 because the X100 was too close and more my style, I always loved that pureness. I feel the same way about the RX100 too... is this Nikon bigger than the RX100?

Like some sort of undercover fish-ninja in fancy dress? I think I'll just wear whatever and not worry about it.

Speaking of ninja, the real ninja dressed as discreetly as possible in order to blend in with the general populace. For them blending in was a matter of life or a sword to the back of the head.

After seeing that video yesterday I was left with an impression that they could have been using micro mode, in which focus is indeed slowish and should be used exclusively for closer than 50cm focusing. But that could be me.

At the moment the only improvement I'd add personally is the ability to scroll through focus points faster, with programmable size of gaps between points, like on DSLR, for faster left/right jumping. Right now it just kind of flows casually.

It sounds like the new Nikon is a well rounded camera in the same way as the much derided V1 (of which I am a great fan and owner).

What is strange, though, is that Nikon did not incorporate VR in the lens. That would certainly set them apart from the competition (at least until Olympus joins in). Now size (or lack of) is the one thing that distinguishes them the most from the competitors. But, as others, I feel a certain attraction slowly forming.

Of course, I would buy one in a heart beat if it would allow me to take pictures like the one of the 4 ballet dancers in the official Nikon commercial :angel:

Out of curiosity - would you consider it good value at the reported price?

...Xpanded

I have to agree with you there... while I decided to sell my X2 because the X100 was too close and more my style, I always loved that pureness. I feel the same way about the RX100 too... is this Nikon bigger than the RX100?

It's bigger, but not by very much. Same sort of side by side shots as I did with the X2:

top-sxs.png

top-nback.png

back-sxs.png

front-nback.png

I know the X2 fits my hands better, I suspect the Coolpix A like the RX1 will feel cramped.

G

Out of curiosity - would you consider it good value at the reported price?

...Xpanded

Luckily I don't need to make this decision currently, so I'll politely decline to comment to avoid the existing bitchfigth participation :) I will only add that MSRP, I know how it works.

Ditto on the VR, would be nice. But, 28mm and my 1/5sec shots look alright, and the ISO 3200 looks like you wouldn't be shy to hit it. All this is almost irrelevant now, coz the camera proved to work just like I damn want it to and just like I would use it. So that's what I need to do this weekend. Stop screwing around with words and with pointless morning shots for fun and games and run this thing through its paces by shooting what I'd normally shoot. The only thing to conquer now is 28mm, coz I'm a 35mm man.

Then there is awkward clothing choice for the "model", I mean who on their right mind wears a leather jacket for street photography? What are you a street photographer or some kind of a wiseguy?

When you photograph as Doug Menuez does, you can walk the street like the emperor (without clothes) for my sake.

How well does Lightroom handle Nikon raw files? Any comments about that?

In general very well with the V1 (duck and cover) being the odd one out for once :bang:

To me the V1 .nefs are much better from Capture NX2. With other Nikons I do not bother anymore.

Last edited:
Luckily I don't need to make this decision currently, so I'll politely decline to comment to avoid the existing bitchfigth participation :) I will only add that MSRP, I know how it works.

Ditto on the VR, would be nice. But, 28mm and my 1/5sec shots look alright, and the ISO 3200 looks like you wouldn't be shy to hit it. All this is almost irrelevant now, coz the camera proved to work just like I damn want it to and just like I would use it. So that's what I need to do this weekend. Stop screwing around with words and with pointless morning shots for fun and games and run this thing through its paces by shooting what I'd normally shoot. The only thing to conquer now is 28mm, coz I'm a 35mm man.

Understandable (no comments). That's okay ;) if you promise to post some pictures :D

Liked the video. Wasn't familiar with the photographer before. Looks like he does some very nice work. And walking around Chelsea with a leather jacket and funky glasses is blending in.

VR adds weight, size, complexity and manufacturing cost. VR reduces battery life. At this focal length I support Nikon's decision to forego VR.

VR adds weight, size, complexity and manufacturing cost. VR reduces battery life. At this focal length I support Nikon's decision to forego VR.

Nikon have been building VR cameras since the 700 VR in 1994 - in small Coolpixes and Nikkors in the millions so I think the complexity is a non-issue. How much weight do you think it would add? And size? It is already much smaller than the competition. A simple menu-item with VR on/off would solve the battery issue. The much wider 16-35mm f:4.0 (not that much slower) has VR.

According to Fujifilm UK 130,000 X100 cameras were sold worldwide. The NCA may not reach the same level but it is not a trivial amount to share the cost across. The addition to production cost is hardly the problem. There is no law forcing Nikon to add the usual markup to any and all components.

With VR Nikon would create a USP compared to the X100s. If the rumours about the Ricoh GRD biggie and Olympus ditto are true Nikon will be squeezed. Ricoh's lenses are at least as good as Nikkors and the usability legendary. They may even be able to make it even smaller. Olympus has a fantastic jpeg-engine, great Zuiko-lenses, IBIS (presumably), possible connection to an EVF (the one from the PENs) and super fast AF.

I want Nikon to succeed and I am warming to this camera, but I think Nikon saved on the wrong items without giving a lowish price. Is Nikon in this segment to just be there, to dominate it or to test it out?

Contrary to many I think the V1 is a wonderful camera. But Nikon priced themselves out of the market. I am afraid they are doing it again with this.

Xpanded

when I look at the size comparison to RX100 (which is tiny...) i get INSTANT GAS!
gonna check one out when it hits the stores around here

It's bigger, but not by very much. Same sort of side by side shots as I did with the X2:

top-sxs.png

top-nback.png

back-sxs.png

front-nback.png

I know the X2 fits my hands better, I suspect the Coolpix A like the RX1 will feel cramped.

G

eh, just makes me think how much i'd prefer a "sony rx10" with an aps-c sensor and a 35mm-e f/2. i'd gladly pay $1100 for that camera.

Anyone see the pre-order for the new Samsung? 699, aps-c and interchangeable lenses. Why is Nikons so expensive? I mean I love it, and at 700$ I would pre-order it. But at 1100$ (or even $900 spotted at bestbuy) wtf?

Anyone see the pre-order for the new Samsung? 699, aps-c and interchangeable lenses. Why is Nikons so expensive? I mean I love it, and at 700$ I would pre-order it. But at 1100$ (or even $900 spotted at bestbuy) wtf?

I think it is because it is the first "pocket" APS-C compact with a 28mm lens. trying to get that cash now before Ricoh comes in and takes over.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. I'm pretty sure the Samsung won't fit in a pocket. Comparing the Samsung to an Olympus PEN or Sony NEX would be more fair.

However, I hardly would describe even the Coolpix A1 as "pocketable" because I personally wear slim-fitting pants and I have yet to find a camera that will comfortably fit in a pocket. My Ricoh GRD3 was comfortable in a back pocket with certain denim brands (Diesel and AG, who make large back pockets for some reason). I'd venture to say, though, that even with cargo shorts or very baggy pants, you couldn't comfortably carry the new Nikon.

My point is more the technology to build the camera should be similar. Nikon didn't even use the newer Expeed 3 processor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I will still buy one. I just think if it was priced better it would fly off the shelf.

Back