Crazy about the Planar 50mm - pics thread

I just picked one of these up before my trip to Rocky Mountain National Park last week. I will surely post some stuff in here when all of the film is done drying.

After looking at the photos in this thread again... and again... and again... and also looking at Colin Jones' (Avotius) work, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Planar. If I like this lens as much as I think I will, I may be selling a summicron...

What I admire about the Zeiss Planar is the color rendition -- the pop and beautiful separation between in focus and out of focus areas. And Brenden Toews photos in this thread (among others) demonstrate that the Planar is no slouch either when it comes to bw.

What I admire about the Zeiss Planar is the color rendition -- the pop and beautiful separation between in focus and out of focus areas. And Brenden Toews photos in this thread (among others) demonstrate that the Planar is no slouch either when it comes to bw.

Yes, I've seen wonderful results of the Planar also of others than Brendan. But I've also heard complaints that it is "only dead sharp", wich is not were I am looking for.

Erik.

I've heard the rap on the Planar -- that it's too sharp or bitingly sharp. But I'm not seeing it in a lot of the photos in this thread or on Flickr. And I do see a 3-D effect from this lens that I like. Time (and usage) will tell. The lens is supposed to be delivered on Friday.

Steve, I expect that you should be quite happy with the Planar! I haven't had a chance to test it with colour yet, but I have been very pleased with my B&W results over the last few months. It is very sharp but I wouldn't say too sharp, and the contrast and subject separation are both excellent.

Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f2 ZM lens, Sony A7II camera
Yokohama, Japan

DSC09474.JPG

DSC09482.JPG

Back