Crazy about the Planar 50mm - pics thread

Beautiful Images Brendan as always.
Skip the Summilux. The Planar is gold in your hands!

Thanks Andy, I appreciate it! The Planar is an excellent lens, prefect for landscapes but I am finding the distortion to be a bit much for some of my other work...

Really GREAT shots Brendan... Congrats! You use the 50mm lens in a very good/fine way. I enjoy a lot with your photographs. Some are in an extreme contrast "way" for me, but it is clear it is your style... keep sharing!

Really GREAT shots Brendan... Congrats! You use the 50mm lens in a very good/fine way. I enjoy a lot with your photographs. Some are in an extreme contrast "way" for me, but it is clear it is your style... keep sharing!

Thank you! Here are a couple more.

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5, D76

Untitled
by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5 @ 800, D76

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

Some stunning work Brendan! The 50mm FL really seems to suit you and you seem to have a very consistent personal style. Interested to hear what you use to scan as you seem to be getting great results (clean and punchy)? Also, is the contrast here from pushing the HP5, use of filters or applied in post?

Really enjoying following along in this thread despite not having a planar myself!

Some stunning work Brendan! The 50mm FL really seems to suit you and you seem to have a very consistent personal style. Interested to hear what you use to scan as you seem to be getting great results (clean and punchy)? Also, is the contrast here from pushing the HP5, use of filters or applied in post?

Really enjoying following along in this thread despite not having a planar myself!

Thank you! For scanning I use an original Canon 5D, Sigma 150/2.8 Macro lens, a negative carrier from an enlarger and an iPad. More recently I have also just been scanning my darkroom prints, but I haven't posted any of those here yet.

As far as the contrast goes, it is generally a mix of all three. I tend to slightly overdevelop all of my film, I often shoot HP5 at 800, I fairly regularly use a yellow filter and I do make contrast adjustments in post, though usually just enough to match what I would want to get from a darkroom print.

Back