CV 50mm 1.0 with M10 (in Italy- June 2022)

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
3:00 PM
I took my family on a trip to Italy from June 1-18. I took with me only the M10 and my iPhone XR. The CV 50mm 1.0 was my main lens each day, except on June 10 during which I used only the pre-asph Lux 35mm 1.4. I have not had the chance to do any PS or editing, and all images are included. In sunshine it was not possible to use the CV 50 1 wide open, so I used the lens at 8.0, while in the shade and in the evenings I would use this lens wide open. If the images look unsharp, it is not any faults of the lens having focus issues but it is then my fault for not quickly refocusing as the person moved.

I have the images saved as three links:

Italy 2022 Part 1: https://raid.smugmug.com/Italy-2022-Part-1/
Italy 2022 Part 2:https://raid.smugmug.com/Italy-2022-Part-2/
Italy 2022 Part 3:https://raid.smugmug.com/Italy-2022-Part-3/

The CV 50/1 does a great job in nicely isolating the subject I focused on, while leaving the background in a soft OOF. I have no regrets in using this lens almost exclusively throughout the trip except on June 10.

The trip was by car from Malpensa Airport (Milan) to Bergamo-Verona-Limone at Lake Garda- Trento-Brescia-Monza-Malpensa.

A wedding in Bergamo
Leica-Part1-Italy-117-X3.jpg

Wedding Photographer
Leica-Part1-Italy-121-X3.jpg

Wedding Photo
Leica-Part1-Italy-126-X3.jpg

Bergamo ol part of town
Leica-Part1-Italy-154-X3.jpg

We had Cappuccino here several times
Leica-Part1-Italy-158-X3.jpg

An artist in Bergamo:
Leica-Part1-Italy-52-X2.jpg

Bikers in Bergamo:
Leica-Part1-Italy-24-X3.jpg

Church in Bergamo:
Leica-Part1-Italy-69-X3.jpg

Woman walking
Leica-Part1-Italy-91-X3.jpg

Narrow lane in Bergamo
Leica-Part1-Italy-108-X3.jpg

Close to the old town Castle in Bergamo
Leica-Part1-Italy-109-X3.jpg

when life gives you lemons, make ... Limoncello!

Raid, very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. However I have to tell, they make me not lust for the Nokton, but for a trip to Italy!
;-)

Italy is wonderful! I would love to go back myself.

Nice images Raid and thanks for sharing.

when life gives you lemons, make ... Limoncello!

Raid, very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. However I have to tell, they make me not lust for the Nokton, but for a trip to Italy!
;-)

Thank you. I love traveling, and using the Nokton was an extra treat for me. My family always comes first here, and I just walk along and I take photos of whatever comes our way. Moving subjects (walking people) make it difficult to nail the focus wide open, but I am not a believer of having all images 100% in focus. I aim at capturing life around me. Go to Italia!

Italy is wonderful! I would love to go back myself.

Nice images Raid and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ray. We decided this time to avoid major cities, but our daughters asked for a one day trip to Venice, so we took the train from Verona to Venice and back on one of the days we stayed in Verona. There were many people there but far fewer than what we have seen in past years when we visited Venice.

It was a pleasure just to be walking around in these small Italian towns, without any set tourist goal to meet or visit. Our daughters would focus on where to buy clothes and also where to eat each day Gelato multiple times. My wife and I also focused on food and drinking Cappuccino and related issues. There were some people who were wearing masks, but the majority were not. Everyone was/is eager to live their normal lives again.
I noted that I did not see a single person on the street in any towns we visited who was using a Leica camera. Some German speaking tourists (and there thousands of them in South Tyrol) noticed my M10.

In Verona:

Leica-Part2-Italy-X3.jpg

Leica-Part2-Italy-3-X3.jpg

This man "was in focus" for a split second, but he was walking too fast for me to get him refocused with the CV wide open:

Leica-Part2-Italy-4-X3.jpg

I focused on the statue and not this woman.

Leica-Part2-Italy-4-X3.jpg

Hm. I actually like this one:

Leica-Part2-Italy-8-X3.jpg

In Trento. This town is about an hours drive away from Limone at Lake Garda. It faces the Alps. We expected to get some cooler weather, but it was hot. Each day the weather forecast was for rain, but either there was rain for 5 minutes, or the forecast changed to sunny.

Leica-Part2-Italy-348-X3.jpg

Prefocusing works well with this lens (and other lenses). I focused on the sewage street cover.

Leica-Part2-Italy-350-X3.jpg

Back