Digital Xpan coming?

Quite possible if we take 2 X APS-C size (2x23.6 = 47.2mm) which is not far from the Hd4-40 sensor; 44 x 33mm. The project as a whole however seems rather as a fantasy for professional use. For instance the D800 sensor is 36mm on the long end, having almost the same pixel quantity and to cost half.. Also the lenses are available and their costs are way below anything to come from Hasselblad. Even the new X-Pro1 with some cropping up & down could easily satisfy the panaromic needs of professionals beyond A3 width (yes!).. Add to these also the advantages of CMOS, ISO 6400, live view, weight, size and low cost..

just my 2-cents of course.. :)

Not a lot of excitement over the prospect of a digital X-Pan! :D

The previous post ^ pretty well sums up why I think.

Do either of you guys own an xpan?

It's not at all the same shooting in a standard mode then cropping for panorama. Composing and shooting in that panorama is a joy and a challenge. The idea of a digital xpan is exciting, however i don't think it is much more than a rumour.

It's not at all the same shooting in a standard mode then cropping for panorama. Composing and shooting in that panorama is a joy and a challenge. The idea of a digital span is exciting, however i don't think it is much more than a rumour.

No but I've wanted to at various stages so I have nothing against the camera personally if that's what your infering.

I just think a digital version would struggle at the suggested price against the high resolution full frame digitals that are out there that cost half this amount.

But I appreciate what you're saying about being able to view subjects in the format you intend your final output to be. :)

No I agree. It would struggle at that price point. Not inferring you had anything against the camera. i just think it's funny how people think that by cropping a photo, it satisfies their needs for panoramic framing. The two are completely different and to me, would not satisfy.

No I agree. It would struggle at that price point. Not inferring you had anything against the camera. i just think it's funny how people think that by cropping a photo, it satisfies their needs for panoramic framing. The two are completely different and to me, would not satisfy.

I agree totally with your cropping point ... especially for the ultra wide panoramic formats.

I've often mused over getting an X-Pan but always felt that the price may not justify the use it would get ... though that pretty well classifies a lot of my gear! :p

It's not at all the same shooting in a standard mode then cropping for panorama. Composing and shooting in that panorama is a joy and a challenge. The idea of a digital xpan is exciting, however i don't think it is much more than a rumour.

All the panoramic format cameras (from X-pan to 6x17 ones) are crop cameras by masking the top and bottom portions of the illumination circle of the lenses used according to the film format. The only ones not cropping are the rotating lens types, like the Widelux, Noblex or Horizon.

I think some mirrorless or P&S digital cameras too having panorama modes, for example the Nex series has three (I think) frames panorama mode (although I have a 5N, never needed to check it.. :D )

I've often mused over getting an X-Pan but always felt that the price may not justify the use it would get ... though that pretty well classifies a lot of my gear! :p

Keith, they aren't too expensive compared to a lot of other gear out there, and they easily pay themselves off in satisfaction after getting some shots back. They scan in pretty big, so you can get a decent 1m wide print out of them... Mine cost little over AUD$1000. So well worth it.

A digital version would be exciting. However you get different shots from all the different film types out there, I'm unsure if it would be as good!

It has to be the best camera i have ever owned.

Keith, they aren't too expensive compared to a lot of other gear out there, and they easily pay themselves off in satisfaction after getting some shots back. They scan in pretty big, so you can get a decent 1m wide print out of them... Mine cost little over AUD$1000. So well worth it.

A digital version would be exciting. However you get different shots from all the different film types out there, I'm unsure if it would be as good!

It has to be the best cameras i have ever owned.

Stop it ... now! :p

I think a pano digital back for Hasselblads such as the 500C/M and subsequent, might be a good way to create a digital panoramic camera without having to make a whole new camera. a 24 x 54mm sensor might not be too hard to come up with, and would fill the bill for me. The same idea applies of course, to the Rollei and Mamiya medium format SLRs, and perhaps others (can't think of any others).

I like my Xpan very much, but framing and producing genuinely strong compositions is challenging. I think that without a true panoramic viewfinder, you can produce scenics, but you have next to no chance for street/docmentary work. Working with an Xpan is completely different to a conventional format and cropping. Seeing as framing and composition affects what you have on film/sensor, the two cannot really be likened.

FWIW, the Xpan is one of the most solid, well constructed and 'good to use' cameras I have ever laid hands on. I worked with mine recently in India and enjoyed it, but felt the 45mm too tight too often. I now have a 30mm and will see how that goes. If I do not feel that I can move up a level, in terms of 'flow' then the whole lot will go up for sale. I do, however, have a feeling that the 30mm will be a game changer.

Can anyone point to the work of any photographer using a regular format and cropping, where there is a body of superb panoramic work? I am guessing not and this is my point.

If it comes, I do hope it's wider than 24 x 54 (2.25:1). I really enjoy the 2.7:1 ratio. Though with the sensors available, I guess there's not much of an option?

If it's a dXpan, let's hope the new lenses matches the old Xpan. A dream would be a fast 35mm lens...

It doesn't have to be a full frame xpan, right? Same ratio cropped by 1.5 or, hell, even 2, is probably doable I hope
I would pay for the extra frame width pro rata from X Pro 1..

x pro 1 does look similar to xpan off the pictures

At crop factor 2 it would be possible to mount ordinary full-frame lenses, the image circle is large enough.

Even if you stick 2 APS-C sensors next to each other, the image circle of many ordinary lenses would be large enough.

I don't think it's likely though.

If they do make this, it will be M9 priced... how could it not be (Hassleblad name, bigger sensor, etc).

Back