Digital Xpan coming?

Hasselblad had long left the field of camera design and production, it has been reduced to little more than a brand marketing Fujifilm pro equipment outside Japan. Even if their new investors plan a return to design and production, they cannot roll out a entirely new camera within a year. Even more so as it would be in several ways of a type they have never designed - everything digital, small format or rangefinder they have ever sold was designed and made by others.

Unless Fujifilm release such a camera for Hasselblad to re-brand, I'd be extremely surprised if Hasselblad came up with one this year...

I worked with mine recently in India and enjoyed it, but felt the 45mm too tight too often. I now have a 30mm and will see how that goes. If I do not feel that I can move up a level, in terms of 'flow' then the whole lot will go up for sale. I do, however, have a feeling that the 30mm will be a game changer.

Turtle, I know exactly what you mean by the 45mm being often too tight. I nearly completely gave up on the Xpan after a short while due to this. Then I borrowed a 30mm for a weekend, but felt it was too wide (I know others feel it's perfect for what they do). Plus the auxiliary view finder adds quite a bit of bulk. Then there's the slow aperture and the price tag on the 30mm lens.

In the end, I bought a Xpan-Nikon F adapter and now use the 35mm PC-Nikkor f/2.8 almost exclusively on my Xpan. I find its field of view perfect for my way of seeing. I can use the entire viewfinder for framing, and this is reliable enough for me. Sure the lens is not rangefinder-coupled and needs to be focused by scale, but I've gotten quite good at it, and even carry a pocket tape measure in my bag for subjects under 1 meter in distance (the PC-Nikkor focuses down to around 30cm if I remember correctly). Although I try to use the PC-Nikkor stopped down to f/8 or f/11 (seem to be the optimum apertures), I've got quite good results even at f/2.8 with good bokeh and no noticible vignetting.

So I kept the Xpan. The 45mm lens stays in the bag for when I'm in wide-open spaces.

Sorry to ramble so much off topic.

I wonder if a pano-proportion focusing screen mask for the Pentax 645D would be sufficient as an alternative, as I doubt a user-changed sensor mask in addition would be feasible. Assuming you have a 645D of course. :)

Yearning a bit myself for an Xpan, I went cheap and bought a pano adapter set for my Pentax 67. It consisted of a 24x66 focusing screen mask, a matching film-plane mask, and little spacers to hold a roll of 35mm film in place. Without a method for rewinding the film, the use of 35mm film is awkward, but otherwise it worked pretty well. Widest lens however is the 45mm f/4 unless the 35mm fisheye appeals.

I don't know how many would pay that much money for such a specialized camera. I use my xpan maybe 4-6 times a year and that's already a ridiculously low utilization for a $1500 system.

If they do make this, it will be M9 priced... how could it not be (Hassleblad name, bigger sensor, etc).

And that will be quite all right. After all there would be an M9 inside that thing. If I could mount good fast glass on film xpan I'd never buy any other RF, whatever color dots it would have

I know 4 or 5 guys who have Xpans now and we all admitted we would struggle to ignore a digital Xpan. My Xpan is probably the best camera I own and that includes my M9. My hit rate is close to 100% with Velvia.

gosh i hope so! now THAT would be a camera even i would pay $3000 for, as opposed to some mini sony sensored FF with a fixed lens and no vf!

gosh i hope so! now THAT would be a camera even i would pay $3000 for, as opposed to some mini sony sensored FF with a fixed lens and no vf!

I think you're going to have to double or triple your cash if this camera does come to market.

A digital XPAN would be a special camera, not sure if accordingly priced high or low to attract new customer. If designed with interchangable lenses and an optical VF / RF system I would be seriously intrigued.

i would be happy for the body alone and native ability to use the xpan film lenses. imo, theyre fabulous! in addition, leica r lenses, like with the film xpan, could be easily adapted, but unlike the film cam, would be fully 'focusable' on digital.
tony

Hasselblad PC @ PK 2012

Hasselblad PC @ PK 2012

The Hasselblad PC @ PK 2012 will be 18th Sept. 2012 at Kristallsaal 3 from 14:00 - 15:00 (CEST).
Afterwards we´ll know more ;)

i would be happy for the body alone and native ability to use the xpan film lenses. imo, theyre fabulous! in addition, leica r lenses, like with the film xpan, could be easily adapted, but unlike the film cam, would be fully 'focusable' on digital.
tony

I'd love to use my X-pan converted Cron-R on a digital x-pan :D

That has got to be the ugliest camera ever and the most desperate move from a respected name.

Makes me wonder,
I understand that in order to create an interesting panoramic frame you need to see it when you shoot it and that it's very different than cropping.
why wouldn't Nikon introduce a pano mode in their D600/D800 ?
just light on these pano frames, the same as the frame for DX lenses...

Back