Do you use your cameras in the rain?

Do you use your cameras in the rain?

• No, never.

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Sometimes, only when its slightly raining.

Votes: 438 56.6%
  • I dont mind using my cameras in strong rain.

Votes: 263 34.0%

• Total voters
I have usually shied away from using them in strong rain. I might be tempted to try my Olympus Mju-ii though as it is better sealed than most.

I am very protective and use Leica M and Hasselblad. Yes I do use them in light rainy whether . Use carefully and use them quickly in those whether use a scarf to dry, and keep them under the coat.

i'm always careful to dry my cameras well after taking them out in the rain - they come into a warm room with me and get put close to the heater or under my electric blanket so the moisture is dried completely. dessicant bags help when the camera gets particularly wet.

Yes i do, as can be seen below, also was shooting on the streets of Derby with my new to me and immaculate 70 years anniversary M4-P whilst visiting the Format Festival
one of my backup 1D and 300F2.8L in the rain

Image00038-L.jpg

I soaked a D3 in heavy rain last year which slowly stopped working function by function. Thankfully it dried out after leaving it in the airing cupboard over night! Despite being 'weather sealed' its viewfinder fogs up very easily when it gets wet, so you can't really see what your shooting properly. I soaked my zeiss ikon recently and that held up fine. I don't tend to baby my gear!

I soaked a D3 in heavy rain last year which slowly stopped working function by function. Thankfully it dried out after leaving it in the airing cupboard over night! Despite being 'weather sealed' its viewfinder fogs up very easily when it gets wet, so you can't really see what your shooting properly. I soaked my zeiss ikon recently and that held up fine. I don't tend to baby my gear!

Next time put it in a plastic zip bag with a few cups full of rice

I use my cameras anywhere, anytime in any weather conditions. Heavy rain, snow - no problem, just I don't change lenses. I would never miss the shot opportunity because I care too much. That's why I have multiple M2 bodies after all...

Regards,

Boris

Beautiful proof of trust in your equipment! In San Francisco rain last November, my M4/Biogon did fine, but the MR meter has not been the same since. So more cautious these days with anything batteried, electronic, computerized...

I don't mind using it in the rain. That doesn't mean to say I'd be reckless but if I see a shot worth taking, I won't think twice.

The better the camera, the more likely I am to use it in the rain.

No worries ever using my Nikon D3 in the rain - so far so good - the seals really have worked fine.

With the D700, I don't mind the rain. The Nikonos 3 was especially bought for f... weather. But my F, F2 & S2, no, never.

I use my cameras whenever I want to make photographs.

When it's wet out and I want to shoot, I do my best to protect them, within reason. If something breaks, I have it fixed.

They're my tools, not objects of art. I take good care of them, but they get used.

G

I find it sad so many are reluctant to use their equipment in poor weather.
My pals with their Leicas are case in point. The cameras are/ were used all over the world, documenting all sorts of events and varying climates and conditions. Here in Toronto, as we greet arrival of Spring, it's snowing, the wind very cold. I once had a film--Tri-X shatter inside my M3. Had to develop some small pieces,,Sure my Leica is not in pristine condition or a collector's triumph. Nope! It looks it's age. I am one with my Ziggy.(Leica M3 1967).
we both are still working. Not like we did in 1967..
So stop worrying. Use the cameras and lenses.

Used my 5D Mark whatever in rain. On a tripod and brought along rain gear for the camera, not for me. Only used it during times of little or no rain. Beautiful pics, sky & clouds looked wonderful.

All the time. Was never a problem when I used Olympus OMs. 40mm Summicron and 50mm Summilux have so far proven watertight, thank Odin, but my CL and Zeiss Ikon ZM viewfinders always fog up badly. (The ZM's especially bad; it fogs up if it overhears two people discussing a picture of a raincloud.) I've learned to pack a spare body and a clip-on viewfinder on photo vacations.

Have furthermore become adept at drying cameras out in hotel rooms by running the ventilation system at Warp 9 while I'm out with the spare. Cleaning the water stains inside the viewfinders is a bit more tricky. Pleased to report that Voigtlander's 40mm accessory finder is unfoggable.

I used my EP2 today as it rained lightly. The rain weather can add to the images some extra character.

Here is one image from today's light rain photo shoot.
med_U3565I1364070985.SEQ.0.jpg

Back