Do you use your cameras in the rain?

Do you use your cameras in the rain?

• No, never.

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Sometimes, only when its slightly raining.

Votes: 438 56.6%
  • I dont mind using my cameras in strong rain.

Votes: 263 34.0%

• Total voters
I use sometimes my camera in thin rain because lights and reflects are so photogenic.
When the rain is stronger I try to find a shelter, and continue to shoot.

6480274_orig.jpg

I have a Mamiya EE (Honeywell electric eye 36r) for rainy day purposes because I don't use it otherwise :)
Saying that I still take a good care of it.

Last edited:
Rain and snow is good time to shoot. I have a dedicated camera for it. A Nikon FM. It can take anything.

What we need is an umbrella that fits into a hot shoe and is long enough to clear your head while shooting. I bet there's one made in Japan somewhere, they have all kinds of stuff like that.
I once saw an advertisement there for an umbrella with a long, clear plastic sheet that came down like one of those Halloween costume shower curtains.

Yes. Most of my cameras are purely mechanical, so no electronics can go wrong.
Just a little care to avoid water to get in.

Yes rain is not a problem as long as the camera is protected.

Message from Frances about the Land Rover shot:

That picture is sad but beautiful (I second that). If you'd like, send me two B+W prints (reasonably frame-filling on 8x10 inch to 12x16 inch silver halide paper) and I'll hand-colour one for you if I can have one too (hence two prints).

Addendum from me: I'll try to get the hand-coloured pic into Land Rover World magazine too, though I fear it would be 'glory only'. If they pay, we'll split the fee.

Cheers,

R.

Rainy misty day today in NYC... Fancy digital cameras have their advantages, but on days like today, there are advantages to cameras with no electronics.

Attachments

• rainy.jpg
    rainy.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
I would like to photograph in the rain but, here in Utah, the driest state in the US, it doesn't rain very often. It doesn't rain very many days and rains are usually pretty short like 5 min. to 15 or 20 min. so there isn't a lot of opportunity. I like the way light reflects from wet surfaces. I will have to give is a good effort this next year. Jim

Yesterday I got caught out in the rain with my new to me, one day old M6. :eek:

It only got a few drops on it, so no big deal. If I didn't go out when it's raining here then I wouldn't get out much! That said, I keep my equipment covered under a coat or umbrella whenever I can, or in the bag whenever its not in use. Best not to take undue risks with mechanical parts and electronics, neither of which take well to water.

Cheers,
Rob

I love the rain. Creates funny interesting scenes with people running indoors and flooding up the place. I also just love the rain pattering on me head, though it might make me look like a psychopath photographing people in the rain without an umbrella.

Rain is when I do make the effort to go out and do street photography. Great candid images in diffused light conditions. Originally I used to do it with amphibian Nikonos III, but found the focusing limiting. Then I used an old oscar barnack Leica IIIC (which I still take on bushwalking/hiking trips rain/shine). Now I have graduated to my trusty Leica M4...still going. I must admit that the lens and camera gets towel dried and left to properly dry after each "bath". have yet taken them for a swim yet though...probably a little too early.

We have had almost a month of daily rain this Spring...'nuff said?

Steve

(As noted in a much earlier post, carried face down or hidden under a coat until time to do the shot...)

Back