Do you use your cameras in the rain?

Do you use your cameras in the rain?

• No, never.

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Sometimes, only when its slightly raining.

Votes: 438 56.6%
  • I dont mind using my cameras in strong rain.

Votes: 263 34.0%

• Total voters
Sometimes the best photo opportunities present themselves in the worst weather. I cannot explain this phenomena but it is what it is. To me the photo is more important than the equipment although I wouldn't expose it to the elements more than necessary.

My Nikon F5 has been used in the rain 20+ times without even the slightest attempt to cover it. It has also spent the night outside in a hurricane. No problems.

Funny you should ask, I was asked to go to the Dolphins-Steelers football game to shoot the players coming out of the tunnel in Tri-X. Just before they came out it started pouring. Nonetheless I shot away. We shall see.

i do but generally only my K10 which is reasonably sealed. In a hurricane i'd likely not pull it out ( i have some cheapo thrift store 35mm point shoots for that - in the worst case i would lose 5 bucks) the bronica stays home (though i would use it in light mist and fog)

I'll use things that are marginally "weather sealed" (Canon 5D Mark II, Olympus Epic mju ii) in light rain without rushing them into the bag.

I'll also use mechanical cameras that are small enough to be wiped dry with my T-shirt, (like the Olympus XA, or any small fixed lens RF), but I'll return them to the bag quicker than the weather sealed cameras.

If it's raining when I walk out the door, I take the Canon WP-1. :)

Yes, I do use my cameras in the rain. Of course, I try not to expose them for more than a few seconds (composing, (re)setting aperture/shutter time, focus and shooting). When they get wet I wipe them with a dry towel. When not shooting I keep them either in a sling bag of around my neck under my coat. Works well.

Yep, about the same, but I will only take one in the rain if it's a drizzle. Big rain and the camera stays covered and dry.

rain

rain

Yes rain is not a problem as long as the camera is protected.

Attachments

• milldale rain.jpg
    milldale rain.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • milldale landy.jpg
    milldale landy.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
Yep, about the same, but I will only take one in the rain if it's a drizzle. Big rain and the camera stays covered and dry.

Same here. I keep a soft cotton cloth (washed out handkerchief) handy to wipe off excess water.

When I still shot DSLRs, I had a hood on the lens and this leather-like window-wiping cloth ('zeem' in Dutch) draped over the camera. Learnt that from a car-race shooting pro. Kept all water off the camera for a long time and could easily shoot outdoors in not too heavy rain.

I live in the UK. If I didn't take my cameras out in the rain and snow, they'd never get used.

(I'm leaving the M3 open to dry as I type - it came out to witness my eldest son's walk to school in today's heavy snowfall, since the roads were unnavigable this morning)

"Hi, boss. Yeah, it's me. Listen, I'm going to wait until May to shoot that feature for you, because it rains around here all winter."

Anyone involved in long-term scientific field research in rainy places learns various tricks that allow shooting in the rain and preserving cameras and lenses. For one, I have come to appreciate the Lowepro bags that have built-in rain covers.

Back