Other Areas E U R O M E E T - 2013, early discussion...

suggestions

suggestions

MartinP asked me for some suggestions for the Euromeet. My shortlist for the next shoot would be :

- Prague
- London (yes again)
- Vienna
- Venice

Cheers,

javabean.

A propos the travel time --I may be biased, but this is also with practicality in mind--: April is a busy travel year in most of Europe (and for most Europeans). Compound Easter being the first week of April.

My first is also Prague, but looks like the first half of April will be a busy (read: expensive to book) time. If someone in this thread with knowledge first-hand of (i.e. lives in) Prague 2013 activity rhythms, it'd be great to confirm.

I also think that Bucharest is another great suggestion.

I've heard from various sources that people in Lisbon are not really very fond of flocks of tourists, specially noise-making ones, which quite honestly English-speaking ones tend to be (guilty as charged).

I believe that street-hunting places like Prague or Vienna would be great (I hardly know anything about Bucharest except that it's cheap and it's Cyrillic alphabet land). Madrid would be awesome too, except that in general they strongly dislike unsolicited photo-taking (like Greece as well as most of the subsaharan nations).

I'm surprised Rome (or somewhere in Sicily) hasn't been strongly considered (except when I think about how expensive it is to hire a room there).

Thanks for pm-ing me about this, Martin.

I'm fairly new to RFF so I'm not entirely sure what kind of meet this is, though I think I got a pretty good idea from all the comments above, sounds interesting. However, I have no idea if I'll be able to make it. Completely depends on the where and when, so I won't vote and I'll just wait and see if maybe it's something I could attend. If Amsterdam would become the choice I'd most probably be able to swing by no matter what since I could just go there by car or train and sleep at home :) Though I have to admit, I will avoid Amsterdam like the plague on queen's day. Really not my thing (sorry Martin :) )

Anyway, just one, possibly weird, question; is this a guys only thing? (I wouldn't want to intrude.)
Also, how do you all usually go about this? Does everyone just book a room somewhere or does someone find accomodations suitable for everyone? And, what do you guys usually do during these days?

Thanks for pm-ing me about this, Martin.

I'm fairly new to RFF so I'm not entirely sure what kind of meet this is, though I think I got a pretty good idea from all the comments above, sounds interesting. However, I have no idea if I'll be able to make it. Completely depends on the where and when, so I won't vote and I'll just wait and see if maybe it's something I could attend. If Amsterdam would become the choice I'd most probably be able to swing by no matter what since I could just go there by car or train and sleep at home :) Though I have to admit, I will avoid Amsterdam like the plague on queen's day. Really not my thing (sorry Martin :) )

Anyway, just one, possibly weird, question; is this a guys only thing? (I wouldn't want to intrude.)
Also, how do you all usually go about this? Does everyone just book a room somewhere or does someone find accomodations suitable for everyone? And, what do you guys usually do during these days?

Hi Falleri,

Welcome!
I agree with you on Queens day:)
The meet is very informal. We normally only have a place, a date and a time set. It's nice to have a local around who can guide us through the city. From then on we talk, walk, be envious of each others camera's, photograph and usually drink loads of beer and eat any food we find. It's absolutely open to anyone regardless of sex, age, religion ,skin color or whatever else there is people discriminate on. Spouses have been seen attending too. Some people even dare to show up without a rangefinder!!

Accommodation is totally up to you. Some people book an hotel, others team up and go into an apartment or stay on a friends couch. Many arrive earlier or leave later.
Same on transportation, totally up to you. Last time I attended was in London and I drove with two Belgium guys in one car to save on travelling cost.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Ah, got the pm. A little bit more off the beaten track would be nice maybe. Personally I'd like to go to:

Kiev / Lviv, Ukraine. or:
Tblisi, Georgia.

But I'll join in on whatever the majority considers an interesting city.

There are a lot of interesting destinations left :)
My propositions (too many :) ) are
- Kiev
- Odessa
- Bucharest
- Naples
- Lisbon
- Marseille
- Sevilla

Just to prove that I'm awake, I just had the idea to put a search link to find the Euromeet Flickr Groups from the last few years. These may show where people have been on the trips . . .

Euromeet Flickr

i am reading this stuff with a great interest. as a rookie rangefinder shooter (almost 1 year!) i am thinking of attending, sounds like an interesting hangout.
considering previous cities you visited, it may be interesting to go to east/south europe. been to sarajevo many times and love it. few days business only in bucharest, would be nice to investigate a bit. kiev? odessa? tbilisi? hm, nice :)

Haha, well, it's just that I read this, among other things "You get 20 blokes with the same beige billingham bag" and of course the obvious- there are more men with cameras in general, also more on this forum. You never know, it might mess with the group dynamics and I wouldn't want to do that. I received some more info on the previous meets though and heard women have participated as well. So, forget about it :)

Hi Falleri,

Welcome!
I agree with you on Queens day:)

(...)

Michiel Fokkema

Thanks for the info Michiel.

Interestingly enough, it seems this year will be our last queen's day. How about that.

Anyway, I will keep up with this thread and if I can, I might participate. I was thinking about visiting Prague myself, some day, so I would like that choice, but I have no idea if it will be possible for me.

I've attended some local RFF meets in the past, not the Euromeet. Would be interested in coming as well!

I don't have a Billingham, but I do have a beige Domke.

Alkis; if you read this, I assume that you would make a list about the places that we should visit in your beautiful country. We met in mine last year's meeting and hope to have a beer with you in yours :)

Mustafa, I've PM'd you, we are definitely getting together for drinks + food, just lemme know you Athens dates.

Haha, well, it's just that I read this, among other things "You get 20 blokes with the same beige billingham bag"

Others have a secret handshake, RFfers have the beige billingham bag :D

My favorites are

Prague
Amsterdam
Sarajevo (although someone mentioned that this might not be so good as a group)

More important than the location is the date for me. What about May 4./5. ?

That's the time when I normally have hayfever. Good excuse for bad photos :) No in fact I have to synchronize this with some projects.

Not that I go to the Euromeets but I am currently away from the UK and I am not sure when I can come back due to reasons I have no control over. Just FYI...

Back