Other Areas E U R O M E E T - 2013, early discussion...

Ah, got the pm. A little bit more off the beaten track would be nice maybe. Personally I'd like to go to:

Kiev / Lviv, Ukraine. or:
Tblisi, Georgia.

But I'll join in on whatever the majority considers an interesting city.

tbilisi is a great place, but knowing the crowd here as a group, i wouldn't recommend it for the meet.

Haha, well, it's just that I read this, among other things "You get 20 blokes with the same beige billingham bag" and of course the obvious- there are more men with cameras in general, also more on this forum. You never know, it might mess with the group dynamics and I wouldn't want to do that.

the question then should be: "can attractive people attend?" because that certainly messes with the group's dynamics. :D

Mustafa, I've PM'd you, we are definitely getting together for drinks + food, just lemme know you Athens dates.

OK Alkis, Once our program is clear I'll let you know. We are coming with a tour, so we can find some free time to meet. (Do you need anything from Istanbul by the way?)

See you soon.

I just tried to find reasonable flights to Reykjavik - it is cheaper to go to Tokyo. Maybe Iceland is out of the picture for me (though Tokyo will come up later for me anyway, with any luck).

Beirut would be more do-able, and has good travel options as I would have to go via Istanbul :)

My vote doesn't really count for much as I doubt I'll make it this year but, Beirut... now that is a city I would like to visit!

And do let me know if/when you make it to Tokyo, Martin.

I won't make a vote as to destination simply because its up in the air as to whether I'll make this years EuroMeet. Hopefully I'll be able to come along but I'd also like to squeeze another visit to Istanbul in around the time that Simon is out there. Catching up with him and the other Istanbul based RFF'ers whilst getting a chance to return to a wonderful city is too good an opportunity to pass up.

However, if dates and finances work out then I'll be along no matter where it ends up being. I must say, I rather like the fact that as a group we seem to be getting a little more adventurous in our choices/options. From places like Berlin, London and Barcelona to Sarajevo, Odessa and Tangiers...oh, that last one was my suggestion from earlier;):D

So, we're settled on the weekend of the 13-14th April?

Yay! Time to make plans and decide where.

How long is it before we do an International Meet? Japan would certainly be on my list

Hey if you guys feel like venturing a bit further afield this time, come on over to Tokyo :D

Its not that far (ok, not really a weekend destination) and I will be here in mid-April. And for those who want to stop over in Istanbul on the way here or home, Turkish Airlines has reasonably priced flights from many places in Europe to Tokyo via Istanbul.

Regarding the date, Kully mentioned 13-14th April in post-88 above, that hasn't really been discussed - apart from not clashing with Easter.

Are there any other dates that definitely are, or are not, a good idea?

Tomorrow I will be lively enough to read through again and make another summation of places suggested by a couple of people, then we could do a poll of some sort, with the votes already in the thread included.

Are there more last minute suggestions or recommendations, for April/May ??

I forgot to mention that WHEN the Euromeet is scheduled has arguably more effect on who can go than does the chosen location, so discussion on the date would be useful for us all, perhaps?

Regarding the date, Kully mentioned 13-14th April in post-88 above, that hasn't really been discussed - apart from not clashing with Easter.

Are there any other dates that definitely are, or are not, a good idea?

Tomorrow I will be lively enough to read through again and make another summation of places suggested by a couple of people, then we could do a poll of some sort, with the votes already in the thread included.

Are there more last minute suggestions or recommendations, for April/May ??

My vote goes to 13-14 of April

Stefan

For me the "when" is more important than the "where"

True for me too.

300 to here or 400 to there doesn't make as much difference as when it going to happen.

KULLY. Do you think you might be able to make this one too? No pressure ;) Be great to see you though :D

There are rather basic "poll" possibilities, but there is no easy way to get second choice - unless there are twice the same list CityX and CityX-as-alternative, which would mean just six choices in each half (to make the maximum-allowable twelve options in the poll) then multi voting to select a choice which is the most popular, and also best not-so-bad option? Or there is an external voting site found by Jamais which can do several clever things with alternate votes.

Then there might want to be a straight choice of a few weekends in another poll . . . hopefully a consensus could be reached more quickly on the date, and without voting?

Hi to everyone. My schedule will be form at the end of February. For this reason I didn't reply messages for a while. Also I think it won't be appropriate to give a place or date alternative for me. I just try to arrange my schedule in order to your decision. Anyway we will see. BTW for the Istanbul you always welcome. You know you have a "big" place for party :)

Let's have the city/date poll. What matters now is that we take a decision before the end of the year. When we have the results each one can work out whether they can join or not. (Personally, I 'll make an extra effort if Kully joins.)

Back