ELCAN replica lens posts

The ELCAN 50/2 has much the same formula as 2 90mm lenses that Leitz produced. Dr. Mandler, one of the designers of this trio, states clearly that the 50mm lens is overstretched for that lens formula. This sounds peculiarly like what Erik just said about the new CV lens.

So you produce a lens somewhat wider (or faster) than what the lens formula can handle, and edges show aberrations. Nonetheless, the lens "works".

Here is the center 1/5 of an image I took a few days ago. Nothing wrong with this, except loss of detail in the extreme highlights.

L1003150-Edit-Edit copy by woodswoman57, on Flickr

That lens is nothing special other than psychological effects……
http://leicaphilia.com/thorsten-vebl...an-your-nikon/

Some good thoughts there. I enjoyed the article. & re: Hucksters.... they haven't changed much since the days of the carny snake-oil salesmen.

". Dutton, citing Darwin’s work on ‘sexual selection’ (a corollary of “Natural Selection”) claims that the equation of costliness=better is hardwired into us as a species, arising as it does from the intrinsic connection we make with wealth and social status and better evolutionary fitness."

Definately not as special..
As an Leica APO 35 or 50...
Or..f.95 $13,000-...Noctilux...
I have the Elcan and its a nice lil F2 lens..for $600-.
Works with the MP240..just fine..
I know I will have to suffer w/it..ohhh..the pain...
And cry..that I dont have the Noctilux..lol..

Reading through the posts, it seems the Elcan replica is sharp in the centre with fall out and softness toward the edges. I am no technical expert, so was wondering does this mean if the point of focus is toward the edge of the frame say at f2 it wouldn't be as sharp as if the point of focus was in the centre of the frame? Trying to weigh up if this lens is a good general use option.

From the same maker of the Speed Pancro 50mm f2 (I hope these soon will be available from LLL in black, btw) I recently bought a Cooke Amotal Anastigmat 50mm f2 from about 1949, a very modern lens when it was introduced. In my opinion it beats the Summicron 50mm f2 (both the rigid and the collapsible) and also the Summar. A fabulous portrait lens. My version is adapted for use on an M-Leica. Originally the lens was made by TTH as a standard lens for the Foton, an American camera from the 1940's. It is a six element lens, not unlike the Summar, distortion free.

gelatin silver print (cooke amotal anastigmat 50mm f2) leica mp (full aperture)

C.d.R., 2023

Erik.

52898591173_47d018fd1a_b.jpg

I would be interested in an old lens, or at least a new lens based on an old formula/design. A true old lens is maybe best for my taste.

Some years ago, when the Elcan came out, it was described as an economy version of the Summicron, requested by the US military, for use in applications where the Summicron's high level of performance was not required. Now it has apparently become elevated to a legendary status, a must-have even if you already have a Summicron?

I would be interested in an old lens, or at least a new lens based on an old formula/design. A true old lens is maybe best for my taste.
I have been swayed by the CZJ 5cm f/2.0 Sonnars and their descendants. They do color and depth of object well, an almost 3D effect. And I have had good luck with the KMZ Jupiter 8's, the CZJ 5cm Sonnar copy/clone. I have a '57 which is fine and a '51 Brian says is CZJ glass and guts. It is better than the '57.

Where this all leads me is to the Skyllaney Bertele reimagined CZJ '34 5cm f/2.0 Sonnar. Brian's posts and the material on the Skyllaney website make the lens interesting. It promises to be a nearly flawless '34 CZJ Sonnar. There's a lot of dreams fulfilled.

I want to point out to people that a sonnar is an objective derived from a triplet. It is not a gauss-type derived lens, such as a summar, a summitar, a summicron or an amotal. Triplets have a completely different type of display: a sonnar-type can therefore not simply replace a gauss-type derived lens.

Erik.

From the same maker of the Speed Pancro 50mm f2 (I hope these soon will be available from LLL in black, btw) I recently bought a Cooke Amotal Anastigmat 50mm f2 from about 1949, a very modern lens when it was introduced. In my opinion it beats the Summicron 50mm f2 (both the rigid and the collapsible) and also the Summar. A fabulous portrait lens. My version is adapted for use on an M-Leica. Originally the lens was made by TTH as a standard lens for the Foton, an American camera from the 1940's. It is a six element lens, not unlike the Summar, distortion free.

C.d.R., 2023

Erik.

You know I have a fondness for the Cooke Amotal. I was able to find a pristine one and find its combination of sharpness and dreaminess quite pleasing. I am not as fond of monochrome but I find it does color well. An obscure and wonderful lens. Well worth the search. M9 + Amotal.

L1002240rff.JPG

The LLL Elcan has been discontinued.
I'm glad I got mine a its just a really small and light 50 f2.
Stopped down its fine in the corners.
xbeApqP.jpg

LLL Elcan didnt sell well.
There are dealers w/plenty in stock.
I think this lens will become a cult lens in 5 to 10 years.
Here is a review on it...

C.d.R., 2023

Erik.

Hoi Erik,

Now also available in black paint :)

C.d.R., 2023

Erik.

In my humble opinion, as a photographic lens Cooke Amotal Anastigmat 50mm f2 is much more interesting than Speed Pancro 50mm f2, It would be better to make its replica

In my humble opinion, as a photographic lens Cooke Amotal Anastigmat 50mm f2 is much more interesting than Speed Pancro 50mm f2, It would be better to make its replica
Redundantly, I love mine and I am on my way out to shoot the blooming Rhodies after I get a bite. Using this lens makes me understand why the cine lenses are in demand even at their great expense. It shines on any LTM camera. It does have the glowing "Cooke Look" and is kind wide open and stopped down. The next closest for me are my KMZ J8's. I have a nice Canon f/1.8, too. They all have great color and definition but not the dreaminess of the Cooke.

Amotal.jpg

Reactions: DoK
Back