Excellent - a Street Forum - What is it good for?

I think street photography has a lot of sub-genres -- which I like because then one has a better chance of finding a photo. My favorite are candid photos which tell a story and are of a scene in transition and fleeting -- high degree of difficulty shots -- which have some element of mastery. I also like urban geometry. Shots that build upon similar shots -- such as of people with balloons, flowers, pets, children. To get a good shot one has to be very attentive and prepared over long walks and for many hours -- this in itself is a reward. Looking for beauty -- even when its not pretty. Well if its grabbed you, you know.

Those elements are all in the frame Ned and just because you can't see like that doesn't mean others can't because many do and can. And as Manos talks about in the video posted on the other thread it's those kinds of things that separate the good from the average. And those positives far outweigh any of those negatives that can happen in the moment. No way to set up and arrange. That would defeat the purpose The timing of when the two wheels lined up and those other elements all lined up make this an above average street image.

I really wish you two would cut this out. Ned, just critique the picture, not someone else's critique. This brutal honesty only works if we stick to the pictures and not resort to personal attacks on the photographer, and other critiquers. Okay, airfrog?

:angel:

All 10 images are ok and pleasing....ground breaking, eye catching they are not, and the OP probably knows this.
If we look at each image individually you will have to admit that we have all taken an image in similar vein and that you have seen an image like it on the internet somewhere...hence the numbness of millions of the same.

BTW, i think Neds critique of the images is fair, and as long as we see it as such and not a personal attack of the OPs character its all good.

All 10 images are ok and pleasing....ground breaking, eye catching they are not, and the OP probably knows this.
If we look at each image individually you will have to admit that we have all taken an image in similar vein and that you have seen an image like it on the internet somewhere...hence the numbness of millions of the same.

There is a nice visual consistency that runs through them with exception of the one I mentioned and the timing on several is very good. Especially #7

Well there is some history that can help show us the way and the fact those things I mentioned are in the frame. Sometimes folks confuse brutally honest with being right and far to often it isn't right.

To the OP keep trying to find moments like #7. Seeing those kind of things and capturing them in the moment and doing it consistently will push your work to another level.

I thank jukka for this thread and the opportunity to openly discuss abut his photos. There are different ideas, different perceptions, different interpretation and so long these are expressed in a civil way is a nice part of photography, each one can have a different view.
Otherwise it would be not very interesting:)
robert

Attacks?
Please, people. We're not youngsters anymore to always feel attacked. I'd have this same conversation in person and nobody would feel attacked. We need to loosen up the egos a bit

Maybe it's my english and you misinterpreted me.
I didn't insinuate that you Ned attacked the person...i was just saying.
You haven't attacked the person which is a good thing...keep critiquing pics, it's interesting. :)

... just a general observation on timing ... I've always thought images look more animated if the subject is on the toe of the following foot and the heel of the front foot is about to touch the ground ... if the subject has one foot flat on the ground and the other knee bent one gets a more 'static feel' to the photo

... not thinking either is better BTW, just depends what one is after

Those signs are not near as important as the bike wheels lining up perfectly and the top sign is in the shape of an arrow pointing down. Just one fraction of a second sooner or later those important things no longer line up and there is no picture.

The beauty of street is you don't set it up and it is in the moment. This moment that the bike lined up repeated the shape of the bike sign on the ground and the way the front wheels both lined up. The arrows all point to the action The repeating shape of the biker in the background and the walking sign and the girl walking (wish she were in perfect stride) in all is just icing on the cake. I tend to not like to tell people how to compose because I believe as Weston did that it becomes part of a personal way of seeing .

Having said that I do not think the framing is quite off but if the camera was turned just slighting to the left to include the entire blue sign with the arrow and push the bike in the background closer to the right edge of the frame it would be to my eyes stronger.

But we don't know what was on the street in reality to the left. Could have been something really distracting. it is what it is and we should judge it on that level and not the way we do it. That is forcing personal vision on others.

Sometimes there are trade offs and in this case I think the photographer made the right choices.

I am hardly an authority on photography - or much of anything else come to think of it - but I quite like these pictures of yours Jukka [those my computer would open for me, which, luckily, was most.] The color is quite nice and your choice of subject and your composing of them more than pleasing.

I am hardly an authority on photography - or much of anything else come to think of it - but I quite like these pictures of yours Jukka [those my computer would open for me, which, luckily, was most.] The color is quite nice and your choice of subject and your composing of them more than pleasing.

And they work well together on just a very basic visual level. I am seeing a bit of consistency in the OPs vision.

I want to see more...

So glad I came back to this thread to find all the photos now opening. [Yet another digital mystery.] And happy to find I like this second offering at least as well as the first. And I have to agree with Airfrog that there is a consistency and a congruity here that makes for a very nice collection. The beginning of a book perhaps?

Last edited:
For number 7 - I like the color coordination there, as well as the glaring look from the girl on the bike.

I would crop to make it a vertical shot (the edges being around her front wheel on the left and the little girl on the right). Really condense the yellows and reds and give the signage in the back (which I consider an important aspect), some more space.

Back