Film is Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

selma-1

Established
Local time
5:45 AM
I hope this is the correct forum, if not the head bartender will move it. I like many of you out there use digital and film cameras. I currently own 2 digital cameras and 14 film cameras and a ton of lenses, Nikon, Contax, Voigtlander, and Rollei. All I here any more is how film is dead and everyone is going to digital and film will disapear. The photography magazines don't even test film any more. We need to write these magazines and tell them that they need to continue film tests, articles on film usage, and that Voigtlander is one company still making film cameras! It is still easy to get negative film processed and printed. Film is still readly available. Let's be heard and let all know that FILM is far from dead!

Last edited:
Spoken like a true American ... here in Oz it's not so rosey and possibly similarly struggling in other parts of the globe!

Decent black and white film where I live is nine dollars a roll and between ten and fifteen dollars per roll just to get the negatives processed, no scanning ... the last roll of E-6 I had done cost me twenty dollars for processing and they didn't even have to cut the negatives into strips!

Your soap box has termites! :D

Film is Dead?

Film is Dead?

Keith that sucks, I like my digital Nikon but I still like to shoot film. I Started collecting film cameras in 1964 and think that to many people tried to kill film and promote Digital in it place, There is room for both in this world, and film doesn't have to be priced out of reach!

I assume it's safe to say that as long as CVS sells disposable cameras, they will do C41. It's just too bad that there aren't more B&W C41 films out there. Last time I went to the Hunts Photo down the street, they only had one B&W C41, Ilford XP2 400. I used to use Walmart BW400CN (wicked cheap there, too) but they stopped stocking and I actually got the last box at the store. Now it's unreasonable expensive to buy it from amazon and pay for shipping. Since it costs 3x more and takes 48x longer to develop any film at Hunt's I'm (in a practical sense) stuck with CVS.

Despite my dislike for them, I'm rooting for the survival of the disposable camera!

koniczech

Yes, alcohol and start reading proper magazines. Germans publish a few magazines that make me want to learn German better to read them.

Until 5 years back, I used to be able to have medium format film processed (C41) and printed in two working days, whichever day of the week I handed in the film. Then it went to 5 working days..

The same has now happened for 35mm film.. Unless I go to another city to have it processed at a 1hr lab (at a price premium), waiting time is now also 5 working days..

Now, this situation is one that I can happily live with, but certainly it indicates that film gets less and less traction.

Our local Kodak one hour now doesn't crank the C41 machine up until after midday to save on running costs ... drop a film off at nine in the morning and it's a minimum four hour wait! :D

I hope this is the correct forum, if not the head bartender will move it. I like many of you out there use digital and film cameras. I currently own 2 digital cameras and 14 film cameras and a ton of lenses, Nikon, Contax, Voigtlander, and Rollei. All I here any more is how film is dead and everyone is going to digital and film will disapear. The photography magazines don't even test film any more. We need to write these magazines and tell them that they need to continue film tests, articles on film usage, and that Voigtlander is one company still making film cameras! It is still easy to get negative film processed and printed. Film is still readly available. Let's be heard and let all know that FILM is far from dead!

Um... magazines do test films. There just aren't as many new films to test any more. But when they do come out, we test 'em. Look at Shutterbug's review of Ektar 100, for example.

We tend to be less keen on testing Maco because so many of their offerings are only on the market for a short time, but when they're interesting enough, we test them too. Scanfilm, for example.

Cheers,

R.

Rough.

I don't want to sound like an ad but...

I send my stuff to Photo Continental in Brisbane in one of their reply paid envelopes and it get's sent back to me within a few working days for a very reasonable price ($3.50 to develop a roll of C41 plus a small postage fee), with another reply paid envelope for next time.

They did some E6 in 120 the other day, dropped off mid morning and was ready by 1600.

Film is dead alright. No pulse, no hart beat, no blood flowing. But it always was as dead as now. It is enough that you are alive and clicking. Film does not have to be alive to make its magic. ;)
And who really cares what the reality of magazines consist of. My reality, your reality is unique. In my reality, film is everywhere.

Back