Film is Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

$2-$2.50 a roll for C41 ,no scanning here in Adelaide. E6 processing is about $10-$12 a roll, has been for years, 35mm or 120..i dont know anybody that gets or even contemplates getting a lab to process standard B&W film and considering it pretty much has to be hand done i would expect it not to be too cheap.

personally i never touch the C41 B&W, I always consider that stuff only for people that cant or wont use standard B&W film or in an emergency (perhaps away on holidays or something and without decent alternatives perhaps) i much prefer proper B&W film but if you do use C41 B&W then it costs around $2 to process here

What's your specific objection? Grain? Sharpness? Tonality?

Cheers.

R.

There is nothing wrong with C-41 B&W film. It is a great innovation in film creation. I love Ilford XP2 Super.

Yea I know, things are tough all over.

Digital is invading my photography too, these days...

My second refridgerator will have a digital thermostat.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Last edited:
People who say "film is dead" are the ones writing the many camera reviews on the internet, the consumer digital photography magazines and young event photographers who've never touched a film camera.

The Auckland festival of Photography is on at the moment in New Zealand. While it is a mix of digital and film work, many of the top photographers galleries are film work.

What doesn't help however is that I was reading a magazine (can't remember its name) and it was interviewing this and that person. David Burnett was one amongst other film users. However, this magazine (filled with adverts for this digital, that digital) did not mention once in the interview that he shot with film. I think he only said once, some 1000 words in that ... btw that shot I took with a Holga.

The young photographers who are now growing up into the field just aren't aware of anything apart from digital, because that's all the media is telling them.

People who say "film is dead" are the ones writing the many camera reviews on the internet, the consumer digital photography magazines and young event photographers who've never touched a film camera.

The Auckland festival of Photography is on at the moment in New Zealand. While it is a mix of digital and film work, many of the top photographers galleries are film work.

What doesn't help however is that I was reading a magazine (can't remember its name) and it was interviewing this and that person. David Burnett was one amongst other film users. However, this magazine (filled with adverts for this digital, that digital) did not mention once in the interview that he shot with film. I think he only said once, some 1000 words in that ... btw that shot I took with a Holga.

The young photographers who are now growing up into the field just aren't aware of anything apart from digital, because that's all the media is telling them.

Well if they really are that ill informed and naive about the past and the world around them they’ll likely have the creativity of a fern anyway

You'd be surprised how true that is :rolleyes:

No threat to us then :)

Raid; only really started using it about 18 months back but xp2 accounts for most of my monochrome at the moment, super stuff the highlights simply don’t blow, suits my exposures

I don't know how film could be dead when holga and Diana cameras are so bloody expensive.

I don't think that film will die - it will just be more specialized (with, unfortunately, less selection).

There will always be those who start shooting digital who will want to discover the magic of film (like me, for example - I now have a film fridge that is overflowing).

I visited Eastman's (Kodak) house at the weekend when I was in Rochester...His life and the story of film is impressive...I am sure he is very unconfortable in his grave right now while the film is dying...

"...FILM IS DYING OR DEAD ... "

Really ? I 've been too busy riding around in my 1928 Ford Model A , shooting film; I must have missed the obit... :D

( Okay, that was a bit snarky...)

I guess "film" is in its twilight... few if any new films, and the continuing disappearance of old favorites.

Finding quality processing is becoming more and more challenging...

My local Wal-Mart stupor-center stopped carrying Kodak film a few months ago... now they only stock Fuji.

I am one of those who still believes in the value of things tactile/tangible... a film neg / transparency is "there", you can hold it up to the light and see an image. Properly stored, it can remain for a century or more.

"Ones and Zeroes" are much more fleeting and fickle (or at least the handling systems are), in my opinion.

Watch-out for those "electro-magnetic pulses"...;)

Regards,

Luddite Frank

Film might not be dead, but very few of us would invest our lifesavings in companies that is going to make it's profit on film....... In fact it is very hard to find any,

B-books and Film

B-books and Film

Many of the people who have been making fun of me for the last few years for using film are beginning to get uncomfortable about e-books. The electronic book market is beginning to take off exponentially, putting real paper books in jeopardy within the next few years. "But I like the feel of a real book in my hands," they say. I tell them "now you know how I feel about B&W film." Suddenly the light bulb over their heads begins to glow - "progress" is not necessarily all for the good. Just ask the buggy whip manufacturers.

I stopped shooting digital about a year and a half ago and loved my return to shooting black and white film with my M4 and M6. I now have an M8 and love that too but I am still shooting film. Sometimes color but mostly black and white. My local camera store has had to increase it’s black and white film inventory because of a significant increase in sales. Nice to hear.

"...FILM IS DYING OR DEAD ... "

Really ? I 've been too busy riding around in my 1928 Ford Model A , shooting film; I must have missed the obit... :D

( Okay, that was a bit snarky...)

I guess "film" is in its twilight... few if any new films, and the continuing disappearance of old favorites.

Finding quality processing is becoming more and more challenging...

My local Wal-Mart stupor-center stopped carrying Kodak film a few months ago... now they only stock Fuji.

I am one of those who still believes in the value of things tactile/tangible... a film neg / transparency is "there", you can hold it up to the light and see an image. Properly stored, it can remain for a century or more.

"Ones and Zeroes" are much more fleeting and fickle (or at least the handling systems are), in my opinion.

Watch-out for those "electro-magnetic pulses"...;)

Regards,

Luddite Frank
Dear Frank,

Goetterdaemerung (or if you prefer, Ragnaroek: the Twilight of the Gods).

Cheers,

R.

Back