Finally! Nokton 50/1.5 in M-mount

Yup, a total homage to the distinctive LTM version of the original German Nokton. Just like most of the ZM lenses they make for Zeiss pay tribute to the lenses for the Contarex.

Would be sweet if the new Nokton could share accessories w/the original from the '50s (those hoods are hard to find), but I doubt that will be the case because of the size of the modern lens.

BTW, ruby.monkey, the design may appear stupid, but the focus ring works quite well in practice.

Indeed, see here: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130131_585912.html

It seems the body design is a quotation of the rare 50/1.5 that was made in M39 mount in the 50ies, compare http://www.cameraquest.com/vgtnok.htm

if the onion rings are gone, I will seriously get one. i loved mine and it's so incredibly sharp wide open! looking forward to it, gotta love what Cosina is doing. now, lets hope on the price tag..

nice, very nice, looks like the old voigtlander LTM design from barrel the one which is now so overpriced on the bay 4k+ or so.... put this on my wishlist, the m43 is nice too for the fourthirds-sensor crowd.

damn was hoping the 42.5mm f/0.95 was M mount too lol.
if the 50 1.5 is around 500-600, I'm definitely getting one and an M3 to compliment it

I have too many fifties, but this one may be hard to resist. I had the screwmount version and loved the optics, but sold it b/c of the large size.

I saw this lens in a variety of finishes in September last year. It is plain gorgeous - and that focus ring is slick, with a good grip on on it. The original Prominent 50f1.5 is by many considered one of the best 50's made in that era.
It is marginally smaller than the screw-mount version, focusses down to 0.7m. Optical formula is the same as the Nokton 50f1.5 in LTM mount - which is as good as it gets in 50 mm lenses (at least in the sub $3500 bracket). If I remember right it is a 49 mm filter thread (versus the 50f1.5's 52 mm).
It looks even better "in the flesh" so to speak - and it really looks good on a M2 (tried it on one of mine). Fits well in the hand too and with the focus ring being very distinct, you can shift focus quickly. Truly a classic look. I know, the looks of a lens should not make any difference - but if you can combine good looks with stellar performance - why not.
From what I gathered, it is not a limited edition - it is a production item. Dont know when it will be available yet.

Again, thanks Tom. This may be (may being the important work) the last M lens I will buy. The reasonable size and .7 minimum focus distance along with the same optical formula as the LTM 50 Nokton are the points which are important to me.

I have a hard time finding a review of the LTM version of this lens, although I heard about focus shift and quality control issues regarding the mechanics, sometimes starting to fall apart after half a year (no offense...)

I suppose they fixed the latter but is there a proper review of the lens? since it was so cheap I guess many didnt bother reviewing

Tom A has been working behind the scenes on the new M mount 50/1.5 with Mr. Kobayashi for about a year.

Stephen

I have a hard time finding a review of the LTM version of this lens, although I heard about focus shift and quality control issues regarding the mechanics, sometimes starting to fall apart after half a year (no offense...)

I suppose they fixed the latter but is there a proper review of the lens? since it was so cheap I guess many didnt bother reviewing

This lens has been around for a long time (2000) and most of the testing was done at that time. It was better than the last version of the pre-Asph Summilux (E.Puts) and as for problems, I dont know of any significant ones. It has a tendency to "brass" quickly in the black version.
It was also the first 50mm lens with two aspherical surfaces on the same element. It is about as good as it gets with a fast 50.
I have two of them, one is a LTM version and the other a S mount for Nikon Rf's and it's only rival is the $3500+ Summilux Aspherical. I have that one too - but the Nokton gets more use!

Back