Finally! Nokton 50/1.5 in M-mount

This lens has been around for a long time (2000) and most of the testing was done at that time. It was better than the last version of the pre-Asph Summilux (E.Puts) and as for problems, I dont know of any significant ones. It has a tendency to "brass" quickly in the black version.
It was also the first 50mm lens with two aspherical surfaces on the same element. It is about as good as it gets with a fast 50.
I have two of them, one is a LTM version and the other a S mount for Nikon Rf's and it's only rival is the $3500+ Summilux Aspherical. I have that one too - but the Nokton gets more use!

thanks for the answer!

enough information for me to have a closer look at the lens when it comes out and my dealers has one in stock.

thanks!

Very pretty! Love the new design.

Let's hope they didn't change the Nokton 50/1.5 LTM optical formula design, as that lens is such a wonderful performer it will be very hard to beat.

G

Really a cool lens.
The chrome looks much nicer than the silver on other VC lenses.
Is it made of brass (if so should be quite heavy)

When do we know about price and availability?

8078586970_e0b1881d5a_c.jpg
Tom A has been working behind the scenes on the new M mount 50/1.5 with Mr. Kobayashi for about a year.

Stephen

This the Cosina team that does the work. I mainly come up with ideas for the brain storming sessions (which is more fun than you can imagine!). Everybody pitches in, shoots down the the too outrageous ideas (although they are kept on file - just in case) and the more realistic concepts are discussed and often acted upon!
For the M-mount Nokton there were 7 different prototypes on the table. Some slightly different looks, some different finishes. Alternative hoods (which was fun! - should it have 6 cut-outs or 3). These guys are among the brightest stars in optics and mechanical design around - and they are truly funny too. Coffee flows freely and two of us are smokers!
One of the first shots with the 21f1.8 Asph too.

I am watching and waiting on this one then :)
I would rarely jump at another 50 as the lux has served me so well... however... I'm intrigued and giddy to give this one a go.

Cheers
Dave

Saw a picture of this in Japan Camera Hunter's Instagram feed last night, and thought I was gonna drop dead from it's beauty. Now seeing an official picture of it, an although its still very nice looking, I think those damned instagram filters made it a lot prettier ;)

I have a hard time finding a review of the LTM version of this lens, although I heard about focus shift and quality control issues regarding the mechanics, sometimes starting to fall apart after half a year (no offense...)

I suppose they fixed the latter but is there a proper review of the lens? since it was so cheap I guess many didnt bother reviewing

This lens has been around for a long time (2000) and most of the testing was done at that time. It was better than the last version of the pre-Asph Summilux (E.Puts) and as for problems, I dont know of any significant ones. It has a tendency to "brass" quickly in the black version.
It was also the first 50mm lens with two aspherical surfaces on the same element. It is about as good as it gets with a fast 50.
I have two of them, one is a LTM version and the other a S mount for Nikon Rf's and it's only rival is the $3500+ Summilux Aspherical. I have that one too - but the Nokton gets more use!

I had one for a while and while I never encountered any problems (focus shift, mechanical failure or the like) -- sharp wide open, pleasing bokeh -- it never really grew on me as I found it lacked a certain character. One could describe it as too clinical. And that is meant positively -- it's a very solid performer.

damn was hoping the 42.5mm f/0.95 was M mount too lol.
if the 50 1.5 is around 500-600, I'm definitely getting one and an M3 to compliment it

The 42.4 f0.95 is designed for the Micro 4/3 system - the field of view of a 90mm when compared to 35mm.
Tuulikki, the digiital shooter in the family has been using the 17.5/f0.95 exclusively on her Lumix G1 since early last year. It is a very impressive lens - even 0.95 it stays sharp! It will also focus down to 15 cm!!!!!
She has a tendency to be bit rough on her stuff, strap lug pulled out of one G1 and camera/lens landed on a cement floor. Exit G1, no problem with the lens. She replaced the G1 (again in red) and 10 days after a mother with one of these SUV sized prams t-boned her. She landed on another cement floor, this time the camera survived - as did the lens (ok, the hood looks a bit "free form" - but everything works). I told her to fall on the kid in the pram the next time as that would be softer (and get the mothers attention).
The 17.5/25 and now the 42.5 are pretty well cutting edge designs for Micro 4/3. Not small or cheap - but the majority of users are videographers who use these lenses for commercial work. The aperture ring can be "un-coupled" to give step less apertures for movie/video shooting.

Wow, what a beautiful design. I ended up keeping my screw-mount version even after buying the Lux ASPH as I actually really like the way it renders - particularly on film-it's bolted to my M3 or Hexar RF. Despite having bought it used a couple of years back and coming out with me nearly on a daily basis, it's performing flawlessly and shows no traces of wobble or other problems. Also no focus shift on mine at all on the M9.

I'm extremely impressed by Voigtländer these days - love this lens, the 28 Ultron 1.9, the Nokton 35 1.2 II and can't wait to try the new 21. I'd also love for them to re-release the 35 1.7 at a reasonable price point-I'd be at the store in no time.

Thank you for all the additional information, Tom - and for this great brainstorming input-much appreciated! :)

Thank Tom A. for the updates. Glad that it's not a limited edition lens (I think they should make some LE screw mount though. Can u send the message to the Cosina team?)

now the question left is when and how much!!!

Thank Tom A. for the updates. Glad that it's not a limited edition lens (I think they should make some LE screw mount though. Can u send the message to the Cosina team?)

now the question left is when and how much!!!

I bought my Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM) new sometime in Spring 2012, IIRC. I seem to recall that it cost me about $800 including the mount adapter. If the new one is on par, I would hope that it sells in that same price range.

I'm not selling the old version. I like it way too much!

G

I bought my Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM) new sometime in Spring 2012, IIRC. I seem to recall that it cost me about $800 including the mount adapter. If the new one is on par, I would hope that it sells in that same price range.

I'm not selling the old version. I like it way too much!

G

THe LTM version originally were prices at 359USD at cameraquest when it's released. Now cameraquest is selling some old stock at USD799.

Considering all the factors including the inflation in these years, I think the price range will be USD800-1000.

Looks interesting, and one can never have enough 50's (last Saturday I agreed to buy two more as soon as they're available :cool:). I'll keep an eye on this, but the price and performance will have to be good. I'm really interested in hearing how it performs on the M9, especially compared to a current Leica 50/1.4 and Zeiss 50/1.5.

Looks interesting, and one can never have enough 50's (last Saturday I agreed to buy two more as soon as they're available :cool:). I'll keep an eye on this, but the price and performance will have to be good. I'm really interested in hearing how it performs on the M9, especially compared to a current Leica 50/1.4 and Zeiss 50/1.5.

no need to guess. It's should be identical to current LTM CV50/1.5

The 17.5/25 and now the 42.5 are pretty well cutting edge designs for Micro 4/3. Not small or cheap - but the majority of users are videographers who use these lenses for commercial work. The aperture ring can be "un-coupled" to give step less apertures for movie/video.

These lenses should be wonderful with the Panasonic GH3. By the way, the Nokton 50/1.5 is a fantastic lens on Micro 4/3 bodies.

THe LTM version originally were prices at 359USD at cameraquest when it's released. Now cameraquest is selling some old stock at USD799.

Considering all the factors including the inflation in these years, I think the price range will be USD800-1000.

That's the same price range. Initial offering of the Nokton 50/1.5 was more than a decade ago, everyone's prices have doubled since then...
The Nokton 50/1.5 (LTM) performs beautifully on the M9 ... my favorite lens on that body to date. :)

G

Why anyone would think the focusing ring design is stupid is beyond me. I have trouble focusing the old version because the focusing ring is too smooth, the ridges aren't deep enough. The focusing ring in the new version seems vastly improved, very tactile, and easy to find by touch.

Back