Finally! Nokton 50/1.5 in M-mount

Anyone have a link from Cosina Voigtlander for the press release? I want to know how the two are different!

The most recent product/news related item on Cosina's Japanese website is dated 11th January and is about their participation in CP+. Besides reporting the fact that the lens is on display at CP+, there's also nothing on any of the usual photography related websites. So I don't think there has been an official press release yet.

Why anyone would think the focusing ring design is stupid is beyond me. I have trouble focusing the old version because the focusing ring is too smooth, the ridges aren't deep enough. The focusing ring in the new version seems vastly improved, very tactile, and easy to find by touch.

tabbed = win. tabless is no good

so, i've never used a lens with that style focus ring so close to the base of the lens. is the idea that you should be able to use the fingers on your right hand to focus?

Hmmm ... it does look a bit strange! Seems kind of narrow and knobby.

Design aesthetics must be quite personal, because I also think it looks quite ugly, whilst others on the Forum think it's grand!

Variety is the spice of life!
To each his own!

(er, ran out of hackneyed phrases...)

I have the older version of this and love it. The only reason to swap would be the closer focussing but going down to 0.7m does sound good...

I want to party with these guys......

8078586970_e0b1881d5a_c.jpg

Thanks for the info Tom, the lens looks gorgeous...

cheers, michael

so, i've never used a lens with that style focus ring so close to the base of the lens. is the idea that you should be able to use the fingers on your right hand to focus?
I hadn't thought of that before - all the lenses I've tried with this sort of focus ring have been for SLRs, where such a ring just makes it hard to find in a hurry. As a form of super-focus-tab on a body with no mirror box it makes a lot of sense.

Me WANTs...Me WANTS

Was thinking of getting another pre asph 50 lux (again)
But really No need to spend that silly Amount of $$$$
The Nokton has its own 'Special' look & quite similar in Glow to the pre asph lux

Now I know what I want for my B- Day,,,:D

Two of my Favorite shots with the Nokton LTM

Alone... by helenhill_HH, on Flickr

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...lenartemishill/]helenhill_HH[/url], on Flickr
Is this Destiny or Fate...choose your Card,choose your Saint by helenhill_HH, on Flickr

I have been using an LTM Nokton for about a year now in place of my Summicron and Summilux lenses, and I think it is the best performer of the three. My 50/1.1 Nokton was a disappointment, but so far I love the 1.5. I will probably buy one of these when they become available.

I don't think so, just copying what the original (German) Voitglander 50/1.5 Nokton looked like in the 1950s (see the links above in other posts). Though the 1950s LTM Nokton's scallped ring is very distinctive, most RF lenses have the focus ring or tab pretty close to the camera body & the aperture ring towards the front of the lens. I think it was certain SLR systems, like the Nikon F series, that reversed things, i.e., moved the focus rings towards the front of the lens & have aperture rings in the back in order (next to the body) to engage w/the primitive meters that used to be built into the prism heads.

I have the original '50s lens, BTW, & it's just as easy to focus (w/the left hand, of course) as any other small lens w/a focus ring from that time period.

External copy of the LTM version of the original Nokton. The optics will probably be based on, if not identical to, the 1990s Nokton w/aspherical elements, etc., as Tom A. mentioned. Would be cool, though, if they could update the original optical design (pretty sure nobody's ever done it).

I think this is a copy of the Prominent design from the 1950's (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Prominent_(35mm) ) The 50 1.5 was a gem of the time and very few made it onto M/LTM bodies. I think the current Nokton is a different design.

Hopefully, the micro contrast is improved over the last model, just as the VC 35/1.2 version II is better in that respect compared to version 1.

I've been through virtually all the M-mount 50mm lenses on the market, but the 50/1.5 Nokton has always been a big gap. I've been toying with getting one for a while now: this has decided the issue for me. The chrome one willl look stunning on my M3.

Finally, now all we need is a Zeiss 35/1.4 ZM that performs like the Nokton 35/1.2 II in a much smaller size, and I'll be a happy boy.

Ah, finally 0.7m close focus! My only gripe with the LTM version is the 0.9m close focus. It was annoying on the M8 and even more so on the M9. Apart from that I am extremely happy with the lens, so this is very good news! :)

Back