FOBA Baby FOBA

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
1:25 AM
I am now retired and want to build a retro 1960s commercial studio in my basement. Here is a very cool FOBA catalog I just bought on German Ebay. I use SINAR, Plaubel, Broncolor and FOBA equipment. I am slowly acquiring all the pieces. Thought you might enjoy looking at the catalog.

Anybody using FOBA stuff?

FOBA 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA C40 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 7 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC05778 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Thanks Steve!

One of the centerpieces in the current studio is my Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand. Every studio needs a good camera stand. Another centerpiece is my Broncolor Hazy Light.

I have several of these James Bright painted canvas backgrounds which are very cool.

I have a FOBA Superball on my carbon fiber Gitzo. Best ball head I've ever used. One flick of the lever and it locks tight... Kinda pricey though. Sure would go well with that FOBA studio stand, though mine is not for sale. :)

Your project looks like fun. Good luck!

FOBA C40 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I just bought this FOBA C40 tripod, my second one. This sold north of $1000US. Paid $150. Why two? Google Reinhart Wolf, the famous German photog. I love his stuff.

Will take two of these to support my 8x10 SINAR Norma with 790mm tele lens.

I have quite a few combitubes and lots of assorted connectors and clamps. These will be useful for when the shooting table is completed.

I work in commercial photography and we use Foba stands even today. They are much preferred over a tripod for most studio work. Of course they’re a bit more modern looking than those.

Retro 70s Studio Storage Space by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'd like to finish this space so it is more comfortable to work in. A 60s-70s era commercial studio with plenty of shooting and storage space.

Notice the FOBA Dimil Shooting table on the center back wall, just need to add a sheet of Plexiglass. The table is now restored to usuable condition.

A FOBA Mini Tripod makes a great light stand, when you extend it's legs, using FOBA Combitubes. They are infinitely extendable.
The "Balloon Head" on the right has the FOBA stand. Great great stuff all.

FOBA equipment is quality gear. We had a FOBA stand and a lesser stand, Cambo maybe. The FOBA glided on air, moving it 1/4 inch up or down was easy. The Cambo, not so much.

My FOBA head and Gitzo Reporter tripod was about the only piece of gear I kept when I sold the studio. Unfortunately it got stolen out of my trunk in NYC a month before I moved! It took me 20 years to decide to spend the money and replace that gear with similar quality. (though not FOBA!)

5x7 Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is my 5x7 Sinar Norma, which has essentially been in storage for many years. Shown here with the big Sinar Norma Schneider 360mm Symmar Auto-Iris lens, and Sinar Norma Auto Shutter. it can be as fast to use as a reflex camera.

I love the aspect ratio of 5x7; I have fresh HP5+, 5x7 Shanghai 100, some Era 100 5x7, and recently, I bought a hundred sheets of 8x10 Fuji Green X-Ray film, which I will cut down to 5x7. Using X-Ray film brings the cost down to 15 cents per 5x7 exposure!

DSC05763 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's my 8x10" Sinar Norma with the big 165mm F8 Sinar Norma Super Angulon and Sinar Auto Shutter. Looking forward to using this again.

Studio Renovation 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've been cleaning and organizing things. Lots of progress but a ways to go. Just bought a 1500ws Broncolor Strobe Pack, and another Plaubel Peco Profia 4x5 technical camera.

On the FOBA DIMIL Sweep Table, I have set up a copy stand, using one of my Plaubel Makiflexes, which are vibration-free cameras perfect with SLR reflex viewing.

Studio Renovation 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Full size background and storage of lighting

Studio Renovation 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA Mini Tripod and light stands made from Combitubes, and FOBA Clamps and Acessories. This works on the DIMIL Sweep Table.

Studio Renovation 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's my lighting stuff now neatly stored away, and I can now find what I need quickly! :)

In my former job as an Industrial/Scientific photographer at Sandia National Laboratory our studio was fully equipped with Foba Asaba camera stand, background holder, their largest table, tons of combitubes, and accessories. For lighting we had the Broncolor rail system. One one side of the studio was for products using a Hazylight connected to Pulso 4 power pack. On the other side was a set of Impacts for portraits. All mounted on the rail system. Mounted on the Asaba stand was a Sinar P camera, Teleview, Sinar Precision Film Holders , FCM2 meter, and Sinar roll film back. Elsewhere in the studio was the Broncolor Spotlights, Boxlike, Fibrolite, and several Compuls strobes.

For location use I had two Sinar F cameras with a set of lenses for both cameras. For lighting we had Broncolor Impacts-every model, Flashman, Pulso, Minipulse, Primo and FCM2 meters. In fact we had practically everything Sinar/Bron/Foba made. My favorite model was the Impact 41.

I got to know our Sinar rep and everyone at Sinar/Bron very well. I am still friends with a couple of them.

Norma Copy Setup 4x5 1to1 180 Componon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Overhead Still Life Table

Built with all original Sinar Norma parts. Had this for many years and never put it together until now. Presently set up for 4x5 1:1 with sweet Durst Componon 180mm f5.6 and Sinar Norma Shutter.

An old Broncolor C171 Monolight 375ws with old Broncolor Pulso Beauty Dish. Beautiful light for an overhead close-up type of shot. Will set something up soon.

Marine grade plywood base best grade makes the most solid copy stand I have ever had the pleasure to use. Rock solid.

My new copy stand is sitting on my FOBA DIMIL sweep table, I need to find some suitable plexiglass for it.

Norma #4 Copy Stand Finally Together by Nokton48, on Flickr

I finally have everything put together and this is what I want to leave set up in my studio. Norma #4 two Broncolor Impact 21 Monolights with 3M Polarizing Gels over each light. Sinar Shutter extra lenses I'm currently interested in using down below short term storage. Polarizing filter on the lens as well use the Norma Polarizer.

I think this will work out for me. It's about what I wanted.

Norma #4 Copy Stand Finally Together 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Further work on the Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Overhead Shooting Table. To speed up some copy jobs I will use 6x9 and 6x6 Sinar Norma 120 Film Backs. I have just finished adapting three each of the Graflex wind knobs to fit the Norma Rapid Adapter Back which interchanges with the 4x5 Back on the rear standard.
A metal cable automates the sliding back (which has its own shutter) with the Sinar Norma Shutter on the front standard.

Mechanism is as fast to operate as any reflex camera, once the cable tensions are adjusted. I've changed to the Schneider chrome 135mm Componon in chrome barrel, the image precisely fits the 6x9 format as set up here. Looks great through the camera, ready to shoot. The Sinar Norma Monocular Reflex Eyepiece is probably the Norma accessory that I found most hard to find over time. Last year, I finally got one.

A roll of Ilford FP4+ is loaded and ready to shoot. Looks like according to my Broncolor FM2 incident flash meter, about f16 will do the job with full polarization. I'll bracket part of the test roll at 1/2 stops and I'm thinking of PMK+ Pyro for the development.

Back