FOBA Baby FOBA

Still Life Shell by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing my new FOBA DIMIL Sweep Table. I want to get a large sheet of thick table glass made for it so I can "float" small objects

And cut down a sheet of thick plexi to make a shoot through diffusers

Last edited:
Still Life Shell by Nokton48, on Flickr

I use digital now instead of Polaroid and Fujiroid. I shot four 9x9cm on 4x5 TMX I got from Charjohncarter. Four sheets of 9x12cm Orwo NP22, and four sheets of Agfa Aviphot 200 9x12. A sort of bracketing..... .

Sinar Norma 8x10 Overhead Reflex Rig by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've been using this area as a work table and catch-all. Today it is cleaned off and ready to start using for photography. My 8x10 Reflex Sinar Norma 165mm F8 Norma Super Angulon Norma Shutter Norma Copy Stand. FOBA Combitubes to the right. I put two pieces of wood together makes a super steady base. Camera is solid and I have Norma 5x7 and Norma 4x5 Reducing backs for this camera. An ideal basis for a retro overhead shooting table. I can even attach the camera upside down to a ceiling rafter for really wide shooting. This is going to be fun. FOBA DIMIL sweep table to the far left, I need to get some thick flexible white plex then I can underlight with it

I acquired a set of three Manfrotto "Scissors TOP2C" so I contemplating setting up a Manfrotto Rail System (hanging from the rafters).

Maybe some day I will remove from coma my Broncolor Hazylight, but I need a good FOBA rolling dolly to put it on. I was drooling for years over one for sale in a Rhode Island commercial studio. What a beast, but over $1000 for crating and shipping so I bailed :nopitty:

Need to clean, organize, and finish building out. Want to put black checkerboard vinyl on the concrete floors. Moi Retro 60s Shagginess

FOBA Impact 41 straight down sweep table by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I have attached directly overhead, lighting my FOBA sweep table straight down. 60x60cm Broncolor Impact Softbox, Impact 41 375WS Monolight. A FOBA circular metal plate has been securely mounted to the ceiling rafters. Perfect lighting for just about anything on the sweep table. Can be adjusted or moved, too. Also I can attach FOBA Combitubes and lower the softbox to any level I desire. I have three more of these FOBA circular mounting plates, WOW they are uber heavy duty. Love it.

My New Broncolor C200 1500WS Pulso Monolight by Nokton48, on Flickr

After talking for almost an hour enjoyably with KHB (the Omega Guy in Canada), I decided to pull the trigger on a more modern Broncolor Monolight with some power. Newer caps and modern switches, just up to the point in vintage, to where the manufacturer went to microprocessor controls, which can poof. After some research I discovered the Broncolor Minpuls C200, which is a 1500 watt second Monolight, which is part of the proline Pulso family. I found this one very reasonably priced, so I will give it a go. The new strobe should be here end of this next week. There are some advantages to Monolights versus pack systems. I will adapt my olde Pulso Universal Attachments to fit this more modern Pulso Unit. So interchangeability plus more power. This will be a good addition to the studio.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Pulso Universal Beauty Light with home cobbled Modern Pulso Adapter. Ready to use. One of my fave lights, I also have a Pulso Beauty Light Grid which "feathers" the edges of the light

C200 Pulso to Olde Universal original Pulso Adapter 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  • Modern Broncolor Pulso Adapter Ring to Olde original Pulso Universal Adapter cobbled together in my workshop. Held together with brass hobby screws, seems OK we will see. Unit will be here next week. More parts are coming so something will work well I'm pretty sure. The frosted C200 Glass Done just arrived from a dealer in the UK, who sells them new. A good deal! The frosted dome will be useful for more diffused light at the source. Generic in design but fits most modern Pulso. It is necessary to use a glass dome for safety reasons.

In Nov 2022 I bought these FOBA items, which came to me by XMAS from Germany. On the left, a FOBA Spotlight (500W or 1000W not sure) 220V I have a 220V outlet in my studio, or I could re-lamp it to 120V, Maybe?? Have to check with experts. On the right, a nice condition F1000 FOBA Lampbase complete with original clamp mechanism in good condition. I think they made different sized reflectors and attachments that screwed into the lampbase. Both of these came is at surprisingly good prices. Once relamped they will get some use. The Spotlight Bulb in the unit at left looks to be in perfect condition. Some of the rubber insulation is cracking and needs replacing. I think all of this is probably doable.

Now I have a New To Me Broncolor RT Focusing Universal Pulso Spotlight. It's coming from the UK right now. Only 99 British Pounds $180 with shipping and tax. Worth every Penny. Exactly matches the black FOBA Spotlight from Germany ^^^. If I rig a 250W 120V Broncolor Modeling Light in it it should work just as well as the RT Broncolor unit. Coming from a camera shop and they says they tested it and it's good. A rare fiind

On the left a black FOBA Spot Light from Germany, came with 220V 1000 Watt Projector Bulb. I want to re-wire it to 120V, maybe re-use the original bulb, it has a European bulb socket. Maybe I can do that? On the right, an original Brocolor blue Universal Pulso Optical Spotlight, with modeling lamp takes 120V 300 Watt projection bulb. Unusual flash tube makes unique spotlit lighting effects. Interestingly this one has a frosted fresnel front condenser lens, while the black FOBA has a clear condenser fresnel front. Will be interesting to compare after I get the FOBA re-lamped.

Ideas are welcomed on this modification. Also notice the interior rust on the metal interior baffle, I'm thinking of removing it, cleaning it, and maybe? repainting with high temp black spray.

FOBA ARTEO New to Me by Nokton48, on Flickr

This uber expensive FOBA ARTEO is headed my way. Found it for a good price, I will be attaching this to my Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand. I'll use it to hold 5x7 exposed and unexposed holders, and other small items. A nice upgrade for my stand.

2nd Universal Broncolor Pulso Fresnel FOBA Spotlight 1600J by Nokton48, on Flickr

Yet another Broncolor Universal Pulso Fresnel Spotlight has appeared and for the price I snapped it up. So now I have two identical 1600 Joule Spotlight, takes the same modeling lamp as my Primo and some Pulso Heads. So now I have plenty of spare fuses correct amps, tungsten modeling bulbs from China and also from the Philippines. This bulb also fits some retro disco balls LOL. BTW a 150mm Componon will prolly work good. Mount some flags on the front, and you've got a versatile light modifier with precision adjustments. Will look forward to trying this.
These are olde lights but work very well with every pack 1500WS or less. And they work very well! Actually this unit went from FOBA (I have the 1000W Incandescent spot FOBA in black), they painted 'em in blue and added fuse protection.

FOBA ARTEO Metal Tray bolted to Plaubel Camera Stand by Nokton48, on Flickr

I bought this uber expensive FOBA ARTEO Camera Stand Accessory Holder, for a great price on Ebay. Been wondering how in the world to attach it to my olde Plaubel Peco Camera Stand. Worked on it (on and off) for the last few days, and made a couple of trips to Lowes for parts. Now it's solidly bolted to the stand arm. to the right and below my Twin Lens Norma Portrait/Action Camera. Solid enough to hold my 5x7, 13x18cm and even 18x24 and 8x10 Norma Film Holders, with some extra room for "stuff". So, a nice upgrade to my olde Plaubel Studio Stand. This digishot was made with my new to me Sony Nex-5 Body, with my new to me Sony Nex 50mm F1.5 Light Sucker, wide open at F1.5. I like this new Nex lens. Shown above are original Sinar Norma 13x18cm Film Holders loaded and ready to go.

FOBA ARTEO New to Me by Nokton48, on Flickr

Required a lot of work with my Lil Machine Shop Electric Bandsaw, and my Drill Press. It was a fun project which ended up in a good way. Very useful item to me! :)

A magnificent project. Are you developing and printing down there as well, or in a separate area?

Back