Freestyle and Arista announce new line of BW film and paper

pdexposures

Well-known
Local time
6:51 AM
http://www.pdexposures.tv/introducing-the-silver-collection-by-arista/

Introducing The Silver Collection by Arista black and white films and papers!
Manufactured in the United Kingdom under strict direction by Freestyle, we bring you a new black and white film in 100 and 400 ISO. Available in 35mm, 120 size and popular sheet film sizes, these new films are sure to satisfy the most discriminating of photographic artists while maintaining that low Freestyle value price point.The new Silver Collection by Arista B&W paper is available in variable contrast resin coated glossy and semi-matte. Graded RC papers are also available in standard medium weight on a pure white base and very neutral to cold image tone. Compatible with Ilford Multigrade filters, these new papers have the contrast range and exposure speed to deliver outstanding fine art prints. A true professional quality, value priced product.

this is exciting news.... we need some options since Arista premium seems to be coming to a end... can we assume that since it is coming from the UK that it is some srort of Ilford product?

If Harman (Ilford-Photo in other words) have won the contract, then that implies that Foma have lost it. I hope the consequences will not be too severe for Foma as they do supply a wider variety of black-and-white materials than, for example, Kodak.

Nothing else then Ilford RC paper overstock and Kentmere films.

If you followed as closely as I did, while BH photo has kept the 100' kentmere rolls at a perfect price of 30$ (Now that's a deal!!! Was 29,99 and it's now at 35$), Freestyle has hiked the Kentmeree prices to over 44$ (was 35$). This price hike was probably to make way to this "new" rebadged film (which should be priced to the original Kentmere pricing, somewhere around 35$ the 100' roll).

Quite obvious. But I have to add that altough a very good company, Freestyle is substantially higher priced then BH on almost ALL the products they offer.

Interesting -- I recall years ago that Ilford sold something called Universal 400, and it was decidedly grainier than HP5+ or Tri-X -- it was cheap and thus popular as a film for students. I wonder if this is the same thing (the 400 that is).

If Harman (Ilford-Photo in other words) have won the contract, then that implies that Foma have lost it. I hope the consequences will not be too severe for Foma as they do supply a wider variety of black-and-white materials than, for example, Kodak.

JMO
but I don't think the Arista Silver Collection is meant to replace the current Arista EDU line of products but rather provided a higher quality option to be offered along side the current EDU line.

No, HP5 and FP4 are very different then the Kentmere films. They are very good films, nonetheless.
But I know HP5 quite well and FP4 is absolutely unmistakable. The whites, light grays are unique to it.

But I am 100% confident that the new "silver" films are Kentmere. What else?

I agree with other posters. This new silver collection is a replacement for Arista Premium & perhaps Legacy Pro. Arista EDU will remain unchanged. This is certainly good news.

Harman is producing Rollei RPX 100 and 400 for Macodirect, probably new Arista films will be the same as Rollei. And Rollei RPX 400 is not a Kentmere 400. I've used both and like Rollei more. I would say that I like Rollei more than HP5.

kentmere in 120 format ? hmmmm

I'm just speculating, as all of us. But if it's Harman, then it's probably Kentmere and not HP5 and FP4. However, if 120 film sales are slow, nothing prevents it from being FP4 and HP5 in 120 and Kentmere in 135. As a re-brand, there's no rules that say that 135 and 120 should be the same.

Just like Fomapan400 in 120 has changed drastically to the point of not even being the same film at all and no notifications were given from Foma.

As long as they continue the excellent Foma/Arista EDU Ultra line, then it's a win-win.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131945

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131945

i really like Kentmere 400. the gritty grainy grungy look.
my scanner Canonscan reduces all shots to that!
i like it for being flat! The flattest film so far..
Sad part is Freestyle will get and B+H,Adorama out of stock..
i'd pay more, it ain't there for months.
i will not keep paying more and more..
i will go digital.

Good to Hear ..Yay
I always have loved arista premium
So hopefully this 'New' film will be equally as Good in its rendering & style

Back