Fuji X-Pro 1 vs M9 size

So: an APS-C format camera that's bigger in every linear dimension than an M9...

Does this tell you anything about just how clever Leica were with the M8, never mind the M9?

I suppose not, if you don't want to believe the facts...

Cheers,

R.

Spoken like a true believer!

a) Fuji weren't constrained by having to make their camera look like one they released in the early fifties!

b) It's auto focus.

c) Leica aren't exceptionally clever ... there are much cleverer camera manufacturers out there but their cameras don't hit the nostalga 'chord' that the M8/9 has.

I like the M9 and I'd definitely have one ... but the thought of having to gouge one of my eyes out to be comfortable with owning it deters me!

a) Fuji weren't constrained by having to make their camera look like one they released in the early fifties!

b) It's auto focus.

c) Leica aren't exceptionally clever ... there are much cleverer camera manufacturers out there but their cameras don't hit the nostalga 'chord' that the M8/9 has.

It seems that at least 2 of your 3 responses support what Roger said about Leica. Combine answer 1 with answer 3 and you get why Leica WAS clever. Leica was constrained by an old design and still pulled it off.

I doubt that 0.5mm, 1.8mm or even 0.5cm differences would stand out for me. Depth includes the grip on the Fuji (which the Leica doesn't have and without which the Fuji is the thinner camera).

Silly me. That went right over my head. Yes, Fuji is thicker than Leica (but Leica is more dense).

Spoken like a true believer!

b) It's auto focus.

I like the M9 and I'd definitely have one ... but the thought of having to gouge one of my eyes out to be comfortable with owning it deters me!

Spoken like a true ostrich, who is not actually interested in the facts.

a) So they should have been able to make it smaller. Or fit a full-frame sensor in. Or both.

b) And? The Leica has a rangefinder, which is probably bigger than any RF gubbins.

c) Doesn't it sound pretty clever to make the camera full-frame instead of APS-C, AND smaller than an APS-C camera? If not, I'd be intrigued to know what you do regard as clever.

Why would you have to gouge an eye out to be happy owning one? I've had one since just after they came out, and have never felt any urges to self-mutilation on that account.

Cheers

R.

Back