Fuji X-Pro 1 vs M9 size

I hope the extra room compared to the x100 is used for something useful like maybe a faster AF mechanism or a better buffer or a bigger battery. Some weather seals would be nice too

In size and looks it could almost be a twin to the DMC-LC1 as well. The LC1 is 134.7mm x 81.5mm x 37mm (5.30in x 3.21in x 1.5in) not including the lens. About the same range, too - 28mm-90mm at 2-2.8.

Finally a modern replacement for the LC1/Digilux 2, after only 8 years...

I like the X1 pro being bigger, I use a RRS L plate with the grip on my X100.

Things are getting better and better at first sight; tough I will have to save up before I can buy one and by then it will be trashed and praised here on RRF.

Considering all that has been written about the X100 IMO everybody is/was right pro and con, the scale just tips in favor of the little Fuji for me, so I will be following the comments here closely.

I hope the extra room compared to the x100 is used for something useful like maybe a faster AF mechanism or a better buffer or a bigger battery. Some weather seals would be nice too

Check out the Fuji Guys videos, they mention and show a bigger battery.

Bob

as long as the complex little sliding magnifier VF keeps working.

imagine if this was full frame M mount? leica owners (like me) would be freaking (maybe photokina...)

yep I just saw that :)
with a manual focus lens it will last for yonks

Yea, that and shut off all the honking and belching sounds along with using the EVF for review with the LCD manually turned off. Can't Wait for actual user reviews.

Bob

Why? How does that benefit Fuji? It only benefits those who don't want to buy a digital M.
It would have made a LOT of sense if they weren't also making lenses. Considering how many people are buying (or waiting for/aspiring to) the M9 right now, giving them a cheaper digital M-mount alternative with the current technology would really steal some of Leica's market. However, Fuji would then have to compete with M-mount glass when they were trying to sell their lenses - not necessarily a good thing - and also have to sacrifice auto-focus, which alienates a large amount of photographers these days.

As it is, they've got the best of both worlds. This camera (or the promotion of it) would have to be really bad to not be a minor goldmine for Fuji.

I think that many more people will buy the X-Pro1 as it is than if it was a full frame M-mount camera for some $3000 - $4000 (at least if usable rangefinder for manual of some design should be there). I know M9 sells like hot cakes, but this is a low production cake and Fuji surely wants to sell many, many more X-Pro1 than Leica is selling M9.

I think even if it was an m mount Fuji would still sell lenses easily considering leica lenses are barely available ..that and the astronomical prices of leica lenses.

The size looks perfect for my hands.

At 450gm for the body it is considerably lighter than my M4 (611gm). I'd prefer a little more weight, for stability, since it lacks image stabilisation. The Pentax K5, at 750gm, has a nice heft to it.

The more I see and play with cutting edge cameras like the X100 and various digital SLRs, the more I appreciate the M4! I do look forward to trying the X-Pro 1.

The grip must be what makes it sound substantially thicker than the M9. The XP1 reminds me more and more of the Hexar RF all the time. The size and heft of the camera in the Fujiguys video looks like it hits the sweet spot for me.

That's why I also got some GAS around this announcement. The dial user interface on the top plate of the X-Pro1 is an (intentional?) mix of the already long time ago similar Hexar RF and Contax G layouts, but also referring the own panoramic TX/XPan and GA645Zi controls.
It seems to fit my subconscius terms of preferences... :p

Sizewise it would also fit the last motorized 135 film RFs.

"They should have made it M-mount" really just means you're mad you can't afford an M9. There is no reason Fuji would make a camera so that Leica can sell more lenses.

"They should have made it M-mount" really just means you're mad you can't afford an M9. There is no reason Fuji would make a camera so that Leica can sell more lenses.

So: an APS-C format camera that's bigger in every linear dimension than an M9...

Does this tell you anything about just how clever Leica were with the M8, never mind the M9?

I suppose not, if you don't want to believe the facts...

Cheers,

R.

Back