Gear for Around the World Trip

ktmrider

Well-known
Local time
8:51 AM
I am leaving for a six month or longer trip around the world in less than two weeks. Just for fun I thought I would list the gear going along and some thoughts. Now, I hope to travel for six months with just carry on buying winter clothes later in Europe. If I could I would take film and digital but that is not practical given the carry on goal.

Anyway, I will be taking my MP240 and FujiX100f as a backup. I am taking a 25f2.8 Zeiss, 50f1.1 Nokton and 90f2.8 Tele Elmarit. 35 is my favorite focal length but I will be relying on the Fuji for that focal length. I will take both a 1.25 viewfinder magnifier and EVF to help with the 50f1.1. Additionally, my 45 year old Domke F2 and a Bare Bones Bag. The Domke will do double duty holding cameras and electronics as my carry on. Finally, a gorilla pod and small flash which works great with X100.

Now, I tend to want to spend money on equipment thinking some new lens or gadget will make me a better photographer or solve a nonexistent problem. I almost bought the new 50f1.2 Nokton and a Billingham Hadley Pro. I have owned the 50f1.1 for awhile but use my 50 Summicon due to size and the Billingham would be nice but the Domke works just fine and I have $1500 toward travel by not buying toys

It looks like you’re all set to go! Can you share with us a rough itinerary and means of travel or are you just flying by the seat of your pants?

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Mike

Have a great trip, man! You've got a really good kit there. It will be interesting to know which camera/focal length you used the most on this trip, and why. Keep in touch if you're able. :)

I couldn't imagine being gone on a trip that long and seeing what I can only imagine you will be seeing and not having a lens wider than 25mm. I'd definitely be taking my 18mm f3.8 Super Elmar. Maybe in your case a 15mm f4.5 III Heliar might be the right answer for a few great opportunities?

I am no multi-frame "stitcher" of digital files. If I need a super-wide shot, I'd rather get it with a super-wide lens.

I have to agree with Gregm61. Any lens 21 or wider would be a great addition to your kit. Once added, you’ll be surprised how much it will be used. Enjoy the trip, looking forward to the images.

yes final route plan would be interesting to see.

am remembering time just before embarking my round the world trip back in 2010, certainly had many beautifies in stomach! it was also around this time of year.

These days, I take a Hadley Pro and Barebones when I travel, using the Hadley Pro for intercity travel, and the Barebones when I reach my location. In the Barebones, I stuff my cameras, lenses, chargers, cards, etc, as well as other things I might need handy on a plane like a kindle, and also my phone. Although all carry-on mostly works, if they let you have one carry-on bag and a personal item, you might run into a situation where they only let you take one item period. Budget flights inside Vietnam is the instance I recall. My theory is that anything I don’t want to lose goes in the Barebones. I guess the Domke could substitute, but I like the layout and pockets and configuration of the Barebones better, especially for RF or other compact equipment.

Have a great trip. Green with envy here.

When I look at your forum member name I think you should visit the KTM museum in Mattighofen, Austria.

Your gear is allright, have fun!

Everyone has their favorite cameras but IMHO, I'd ditch the Fuji & the maybe the 25mm. Get a 21mm & 35mm for the Leica. However the 25mm is a good compromise so maybe not buying two more lenses at this late in the game. I'd dither on a backup body for the Leica (vs 2 bodies with different lenses). Backup bodies are good. There is a temptation to take the M2 you own which utilizes the same lenses but ( I almost hate to say it) there is on reason to shoot film.

I really think two digital M bodies. Film cameras are almost indestructible, but digital cameras, and batteries, can you give you the fits at any particular moment. I really think a backup body is an absolute must.

Two identical Leica M bodies (digital, if required), a 40/2.0 and a 28/2.8 would do the trick for me. But then I do travel with only my Leica Standard, a 50/3.5 Nickel-Elmar and a rangefinder.

It will be an exciting trip! Good idea to keep the gear minimal, I hope to see a few pictures before you come back!
Have a nice and safe trip.
robert

Sounds fantastic. Have a great trip!

If you anticipate needing weather protection for your camera gear I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss the utility of the Billingham. It’s effectively impervious to rain, unlike the Domke, which I expect would soak it up.

On a 6 month trip I'd rather bring a more sturdy carry on with wheels attached. I've used a ThinkTank for many years. It will hold your cameras and basic clothing. It's indestructible, water proof, lockable, looks small and has a built-in cable with which you can attach it to an overhead bus/train compartment, hotel furniture etc... Have a nice trip!

I have to agree with Gregm61. Any lens 21 or wider would be a great addition to your kit. Once added, you’ll be surprised how much it will be used. Enjoy the trip, looking forward to the images.

+1!
I travel a lot, my most used camera, for being very small but powerful, is a Sony NEX5n, and my most used lens a Voigtlaender f4.5/15, which on that camera makes a 21/22mm lens equivalent

Back