Gear for Around the World Trip

Decided to leave the tablet at home and upgrade my Mac which is6 years old. Have a new. MacBook Air on the way from B&H.

What about using a wi-fi enabled SD card to send the image from your camera to the tablet? I don't know if either camera supports that type of card but it might be worth looking into.

Bad, bad idea.

They are fragile, break often and unreliable. There's a reason they haven't caught on.

From an oldie who has been on the road (on and off) since the '60s - and is now 72, and still traveling, often for months at a time in Southeast Asia...

Yokosuka_Mike (22) and Ko.Fe (23), among others, have hit the proverbial nail right on the head - less is best.

In the '80s when I was in my 30s with more energy than sense, I took the entire kit lot, everything but the darkroom sink - on one journey across Java, Indonesia in 1986 I had, in one bag, a Nikkormat with four lenses, a Rolleiflex, AND a Linhof with two film backs and three lenses. Plus a tripod and of course, film. To this day I wonder how I survived that journey - for the record, I mostly used the Nikkormat (an FTN as I recall) and now and then the Rolleiflex. The Linhof got used a few times but produced some of the best landscapes I've ever taken of volcanoes in Java. In the end, I vowed to never, ever do that again, and to this day I've (more or less) stuck to this rule from the '90s on.

Since 2012 when I retired, i've managed at least two journeys every year with a Nikon DSLR (initially a D90, then a D700, now a Df) and at most three lenses. On occasion when I've felt the urge to shoot film, I've carried a 1960s Rolleicord Vb with a 16 exposure kit and a minimal accessory kit (lens hood, 1-2 filters, tripod mount) and of course, film.

I've been on the move since April this year with the Df and the 24-70 kit lens. No film camera. Before I left Australia for Brunei I lucked into a truly good deal with a fab 2nd hand MacBook Air, into which I now download my day's images, and that's about it. The Air is the best laptop I've ever owned, full stop. As for my travel photography, other than the occasional image I send to friends, I no longer bother with post processing on the road - that will be done when I return home.

As I'm now 72 and while healthy, not as energetic as I was even a couple of years ago, in future I plan to follow Yokosuko_Mike's excellent advice and take only a Fuji X100F, which to my mind is the best camera ever for on-the-roaders, after any Leica, which obviously many of us (certainly I) cannot afford.

As someone else has said, go, enjoy, experience everything you encounter along the way, and shoot many images, but don't stress over the gear. Life is too short and the angst is not worth it. Travel photography is purely recording images, after all.

Oh. And do keep us informed regularly as to how you are doing and how things are going for you as you move around. For most of us, vicarious travel is (almost) as good as the real thing...

Bon voyage to you!

Hate spending money on computers, phones or other digital gear. I almost bought a 50f1.2 last week to take on this trip even though I own two 50mm lenses for the Leica. My present MacBookPro is six years old and I use it for a couple hours each day but I was really resisting upgrading. Don't know why and just making an observation. Am leaving tablet at home and traveling with phone and new computer

For overseas travel I bought an Ipad (ditched the personal computer) and the X-Pro2. While I love the size and almost everything about the Fuji, battery life is very disappointing. I ended up carrying a lot of batteries and still would end up looking for an electrical outlet, which can difficult to find in some countries. Leica's are extremely frugal on battery use.

I may be modifying my equipment list. I just uploaded images to my new computer and noticed many taken with the 50f1.1 were soft, particularly shot wide open at Comicon. I may need to get the lens adjusted as I bought it used and did not use it much. So, the latest 50 Summicron which will save space and weight.

ktm, I'm not surprised the Nokton 50 1.1 is soft wide open...are you? The Summicron will do you right...every time. Yes & the weight & space saving too.

I have been taking a lot of shorter trips recently, mostly business, some personal. I have been bringing my Contax iia + Zeiss 50mm f2 Sonnar + Voigtlander SC Skopar 21mm f4 (plus viewfinders, and a few filters). I find this kit very portable (literally tucked in my good sized computer bag), more than even my Fujifilm XT-2 + 18-55 mm zoom. You could send film out by mail, and download scans to your computer, or leave most of them up on the cloud until you get somewhere more permanent. Your Leicas may be similar. Just a thought.

I may be modifying my equipment list. I just uploaded images to my new computer and noticed many taken with the 50f1.1 were soft, particularly shot wide open at Comicon.

It has focus shift and 1.1 is pretty hard with a RF IMO.

Well, I am down to seven days before heading out of Dallas for the Phillipinnes and more scuba diving. Gear has changed as I have an upgraded computer (MacBook Air) and I just ordered a 50f1.2 Nokton from B&H. From everything I have read, the 50f1.2 may become my standard 50 which means I will definitely sell the 50f1.1 and perhaps the 50 Summicron but that decision will await my return. However, the 50f1.1 definitely needs calibration.

And instead of using a Dome F2 which is a large bag I will be using a Billingham Hadley Small. It does everything the Bare Bones Bag does but is a bit more waterproof and has better padding. I am still planning on an MP240 with 25/50/90 and a FujiX100f for backup and to cover the 35 FOV. The Leica and X100 and the three lenses fit in the Hadley Small just fine with the X100f taking up about as much room as a 35mm lens. I will pack al gorilla tripod and small flash in the main piece of luggage.

I gave thought to taking an M2 and leaving the X100f at home but digital has it all over film for travel, especially with multiple airports and Xray machines. I know there are ways to do it with film (first digital was in 2009) but technology just makes it more convient. The X100F can easily be viewed as the new M2.

Of course, I still have seven days to change my mind (again). My itinerary remains flexible and I just had a request to bring the GoPro7 for swimming and diving in PI.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

The Billingham is a great bag but spend a few more dollars for the OP-Tech lens wraps. A little extra security never hurts.

Have been in the Philippines for a week. It is still rainy season so the most important piece of photo equipment is an umbrella purchased last year while trekking around Loch Ness.

I have visited here many times but never spent time in Manila. The traffic is horrendous but the city goes back 500 years. Visiting the museum at the San Augustin church changed my whole view of the country's history. Now I think I know a bit more of history then the typical American. Most Americans don't even know the Philippines were an American territory from 1898-1946. Somehow, I had the view that before the Americans arrived, it was a country of small villages scattered through the jungle. I had to revise that view since it was an important part of Spain's empire from 1500 and was as civilized as anywhere in the world during that timeframe. the Philippines was trading with China and Japan for a couple thousand years before the arrival of Spain.

Anyway, the photo equipment mix works well. I find I either carry the Leica or Fuji but seldom both. I am really enjoying the new 50f1.2 Nokton. And I have been using each camera equally. And I am glad the Hadley Small is waterproof!

I couldn't imagine being gone on a trip that long and seeing what I can only imagine you will be seeing and not having a lens wider than 25mm. I'd definitely be taking my 18mm f3.8 Super Elmar. Maybe in your case a 15mm f4.5 III Heliar might be the right answer for a few great opportunities?

I am no multi-frame "stitcher" of digital files. If I need a super-wide shot, I'd rather get it with a super-wide lens.

I have to agree with Gregm61. Any lens 21 or wider would be a great addition to your kit. Once added, you’ll be surprised how much it will be used. Enjoy the trip, looking forward to the images.

Well, a 21 might be useful, but the 25mm the OP already has, may very well be wide enough. I think that bothering to take a 15mm is a bridge too far. A lens that wide can be pretty difficult to use, and not that many situations where you even can use one. Bringing too much can be a hindrance. If I were going to add a fourth lens to this outfit, it would be a 35mm for the Leica, in addition to the X100F with its 35mm equivalent. Bringing the X100F is a smart move. I'm sure it will see lots of use!

Update: I left in early September for a six month round the world trip. I packed a MP240 with 25/50/90 and a X100F. After a month in the Philippines traveling the country and scuba diving, I returned to the US on 11 October. A six month solo trip was too much for me so I have spent the past month seeing family and fall foliage on my motorcycle.

I leave for the Philippines and Vietnam this Saturday 9 November. My emphasis has changed a bit as I have discovered a renewed interest in scuba diving. The big change in diving in 21 years from my last dive is the personal dive computer. So I have picked up some scuba gear to take along which reduces the photo gear I am willing to haul. Basically, I have decided to take either the MP240 with a 50f1.2, my M2 with either a 50 or 35, or the X100F. There will be a GoPro7 in the bag for underwater video. Right now I am leaning heavily toward the X100F as it is the smallest, cheapest and most capable of the three cameras.

I will update on my final decision about the end of the week.

That's a bit more gear that I usually want to carry, but eh? I usually end up carrying as much or more anyway. Such it is. Have a good trip!

My choice would be to carry the Leica CL, four batteries, two 128G SD cards, and two or three lenses (likely the Voigtländer 10mm, Color Skopar 28mm, and Summarit-M 75mm) on the next long trip. Last long trip in 2018, I carried that same camera with R28 and R50 mm lenses, did most of the shooting with the 28mm, missed the occasional ultra-wide and tele opportunities. A faster 28mm would be nice, but I like to keep it all to one mount (this set is all M-mount) to minimize handling errors (and I don't feel like spending the bux for a Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH lens at present). I'd also bring a full travel tripod rather than just a gorilla pod. That would all fit in my carry-on travel bag nicely, along with my necessaries. For computing/processing power, my iPad Pro 11" will do perfectly.

But that's my current predilection; it can change quite a lot between now and my next long trip (scheduled for last week of January). :D

G

Well, I am headed to SE Asia again for four months. I am sitting in the departure area for my first destination which is the Philippines and I have some newly purchased scuba gear in the luggage as well as less clothing and photo gear then last month.

I ended up with a FujiX100F with 28 aux lens and electronic flash. Literally, I threw my M2 with 50 Summicron into the bag at the last minute along with 20 rolls of 35mm. I will be using my phone as a light meter.

And I have a GoPro 7 for everything above and under the ocean. It is waterproof to 33 feet but a waterproof case to 150 or so was only $19.95. It appears there is an app to add color back into video which is taken below about 20 feet, who knew?

My usual travel kit.
M Monochrom and 35 Lux FLE. Batterieis, charger and sd cards. That's it.

As already mentioned and I will add to this my advice keep it simple. Take a lens that you have found to fit the way you see. Less is more. REALLY.

Back