Gear for Around the World Trip

It is a super lens the 15mm Heliar, I use it a lot more than I thought I would. But I have no idea about the maximum decent ISO of the M240. With EVF you'd just have the lens which is both tiny and light.

I don't think any more gear is necessary!

Frankly speaking, I’d be fine with just the X100F and forget all the rest of that stuff. The X100F is all that I use when I travel - and I do travel quite a bit. But, what does it matter, it doesn't really matter at all, the man is headed around the world at the prime age of 66. Damn man, enjoy the adventure; it’s not about the stuff you take with you, it’s about the people you meet along the way. Unless you’re on assignment for National Geographic, kick back and enjoy.

Remember Schlitz beer, you only live once!

Have a good trip,
Mike

Good choice for great travel. M240 probably best mirrorless with long lasting battery.

Winter in Europe? :)

I don't really get on with super wide lenses. I have owned a 15 and sold it years ago and gave my last 21 away to a young photographer for use on his M3. In fact, I gave serious thought to just taking the X100F as Its technology leaves any Leica behind, especially for flash fill and autofocus. I love the jpegs from the Fuji for Acros and Classic Chrome.

The Bare Bones Bag will be hold my daily shooting kit which could be the Leica and a couple lens or the X100f. I just returned from a month of scuba diving in the Philippines and used the BBB and X100 daily. The BBB is waterproof and just the right size to hold a camera and collapsed umbrella. Oh, July is rainy season in PI.

My itenerary is flexible but am looking at more time in the Philippines follow by Singapore overland to Thailand and then a couple weeks in Vietnam. From SE Asia, l am thinking a month in India then Jerusalem and then northwest Europe and a long walk in Scotland back to USA toward late March in time to do my taxes. Then, I may jump on one of my motorcycles and head toward Panama or Tierra del Fuego as I know I will be riding to Alaska with friends next June.

And on a personal note, I just sold my house in El Paso and my marriage of 30 years has ended as well. I am 66, healthy with a great retirement income. I enjoy travel (see other posts here) and the only tie to the USA is my daughter who resides in Dallas. Am thinking of living foreign for a few years anyway as the political climate in the US does not agree with me.

What a lovely thing to do. I am not quite at retirement but am selling up to move to somewhere closer to family in the UK, and if and when it happens, after a year of disruptions, I just want to travel slowly to places I have yet to see. Not on a bike but in some form of camper so I can live cheaply as required (essential in Norway!) and process film as I do.

Enjoy!

Lucky you! I could barely hold X100F in my hands for five minutes. Build is too flimsy for me :)

By the way, the sign on comes from a time when I owned two KTM motorcycles and that is long past. I think KTM makes a great bike but dealerships in US are rare. Presently, I ride a BMW GSA 1200 and Kawasaki Versys 650.

I think you're wise to bring a small secondary back up body. The Fuji will fit that bill nicely, although a second Leica body would also suit that need.
Remember: when you travel, count on the unexpected and things sometimes going sideways!

The only change I'd suggest is to bring a smaller 50 -- even a 1.4 or a Summicron. It'll cut the size and weight down, and eliminate the need for a magnifier...less stuff to lug around!

Also: how are you storing, backing up and sorting your files? I'd *really* suggest at least a cloud backup option. Hard drives, cameras, laptops etc. can go missing or get destroyed...Cover Yo' Ass!

Frankly speaking, I’d be fine with just the X100F and forget all the rest of that stuff. The X100F is all that I use when I travel - and I do travel quite a bit. But, what does it matter, it doesn't really matter at all, the man is headed around the world at the prime age of 66. Damn man, enjoy the adventure; it’s not about the stuff you take with you, it’s about the people you meet along the way. Unless you’re on assignment for National Geographic, kick back and enjoy.

Remember Schlitz beer, you only live once!

Have a good trip,
Mike

So the ongoing saying among some students that "Schlitz gives you the shi$$" is wrong? :angel::eek::cool::D

As Yokosuka Mike says the FujiX100f would probably fill the bill just fine. However, I figure I should take a Leica or sell it and all seven lenses. The common temptation is to take everything including a film M, more than 3 lenses and I could go on and on. Film camera would be M2 with a 35 and don't forget medium format. Maybe I should try and charter a C5.

ktm, you've got it dialed. I would have no anxiety about hitting the road with just an M2 and a 35....come to think of it, i've done that quite a few times. Enjoy the journey...looks as though you've chosen carefully...for your vision.

+1!
I travel a lot, my most used camera, for being very small but powerful, is a Sony NEX5n, and my most used lens a Voigtlaender f4.5/15, which on that camera makes a 21/22mm lens equivalent

I love the Voigtlander 15 on the Ricoh GXR-M for the same reason. My version is the first, non-coupled version, but that's fine with liveview and the very deep depth of field.

The Zeiss 21mm on the M9 is one of my favourites for travel, and last overseas trip, I found myself using 21 and 50 most of the time.

I am such an analogue dinosaur. I did not want to drag my laptop around the world and thought I could use my Cpmpaq tablet. People I have approached at Best Buy say there is no way to go from an SD card to tablet without using a laptop. Guess I will upgrade my computer so any suggestions? I did not want to manipulate images but upload jpegs.

What about using a wi-fi enabled SD card to send the image from your camera to the tablet? I don't know if either camera supports that type of card but it might be worth looking into.

Back