Germany RFF'ers?

If you make it to Frankfurt, you hafta travel down to Heidelberg

Some of the best landscapes in Germany!

Picture perfect idyllic town with a river, an old bridge and a castle

And 50,000 students

You see, there is only one solution: don't just go for 10 days, come and stay here for a while.

(Reminds me of "Stay a while and listen..." Who still remembers?)

Frankfurt here, coffe n shoot sounds great !

Hooray! Another local German we can shoot with! Will contact you via PM.

If you make it to Frankfurt, you hafta travel down to Heidelberg

Some of the best landscapes in Germany!

Picture perfect idyllic town with a river, an old bridge and a castle

And 50,000 students

SLURP. If my Provia could talk, they would be demand me to stay longer!

Right - especialy the old city or the old city of Hall - which is nearly a complete gothic old city.
I should do a photowalk there and post some pics.

Thank you for the tip off :)

You see, there is only one solution: don't just go for 10 days, come and stay here for a while.

(Reminds me of "Stay a while and listen..." Who still remembers?)

I wish I could.

Will hit the party too.
Every second week I stay for 3-4 days in the near of Heidelberg and like to have a few beers with rff friends. :)

Rainer

Sorry for the delay in getting in touch with you guys on my pending dates to Germany. I have been bogged down and unable to plan in detail for the dates/times in Germany.

It should work out something like this -

Arrive via Frankfurt, scoot on down to Cologne or Hamburg > Berlin > Munich > Exit to Salzburg > Switzerland.

Hi guys/gals

I have finally tied down the itinerary for Germany. So here we go :)

16 May - Arrive Frankfurt, move to Hamburg via train.
16 May - Street shoot Hamburg, stay 1 night
17 - 19 May - Arrive Berlin AM, stay 2 night
19 - 20 May - Depart Berlin (PM) for Munich, stay 1 night
20 May PM - Depart Munich (PM) for Bavarian Alps
20 - 22 May - Bavarian Alps, 2 nights
22 May - Depart Alps for Innsbruck or Salzburg

Times are not cast in stone, but at this point in time this is the rough plan.

Will be contacting the various RFFer's via PM on possible meet ups :)

Thanks peeps!

Hi guys/gals

16 May - Street shoot Hamburg, stay 1 night
17 - 19 May - Arrive Berlin AM, stay 2 night
19 - 20 May - Depart Berlin (PM) for Munich, stay 1 night
20 May PM - Depart Munich (PM) for Bavarian Alps
20 - 22 May - Bavarian Alps, 2 nights
22 May - Depart Alps for Innsbruck or Salzburg

Times are not cast in stone, but at this point in time this is the rough plan.

Will be contacting the various RFFer's via PM on possible meet ups :)

Thanks peeps!

the weekend you plan to spend in Berlin is also the weekend of the RFF-Euro meet in Prague (which is 4 hours away from Berlin)
just saying.

the weekend you plan to spend in Berlin is also the weekend of the RFF-Euro meet in Prague (which is 4 hours away from Berlin)
just saying.

Whoa! Thank you for the tip off.

I am hitting a minor road block due to the cost of the train travel within the (Germany > Austria > Switzerland) route, as its costing me about USD550/head. Adding Prague would add more cost.

Which will be cheaper for me to travel in? The S/U Bahn to various cities in Germany, or do I purchase the EuRail Pass (cheaper for Foreigners, I suppose?)

Whoa! Thank you for the tip off.

I am hitting a minor road block due to the cost of the train travel within the (Germany > Austria > Switzerland) route, as its costing me about USD550/head. Adding Prague would add more cost.

Which will be cheaper for me to travel in? The S/U Bahn to various cities in Germany, or do I purchase the EuRail Pass (cheaper for Foreigners, I suppose?)

Prague is so much more beautiful than most of the German cities in your list :) I'd skip Hamburg it's a massive detour.

The EuRail Pass sounds like a good idea! It seems to cover your needs quite well. If you want to check regular fares go to www.bahn.de
The trip from Frankfurt to Hamburg is 118€ alone (regular fare, there might be special offers)

Prague is so much more beautiful than most of the German cities in your list :) I'd skip Hamburg it's a massive detour.

The EuRail Pass sounds like a good idea! It seems to cover your needs quite well. If you want to check regular fares go to www.bahn.de
The trip from Frankfurt to Hamburg is 118€ alone (regular fare, there might be special offers)

Thanks man.
Will re-look plans for Hamburg, and maybe, proceed straight to Berlin instead for an extra day there.

118Euro for Frankfurt > Hamburg? Oh my!

Don´t skip Hamburg - it's the most beautiful city in Germany!
Got your PM and will answer you soon!

Haha now I have a good headache...

Can I ask a few travel questions here please....

1. From Frankfurt > Berlin > Munich > Bavarian Alps, do I need to use my Eurail Pass or will the S/U Bahn be a cheaper alternative?
  2. How do I get from the Bavarian Alps to Innsbruck/Salzburg? EuRail?
  3. How long is the train journey from Cologne > Hamburg?
You guys/gals are awesome.

2. Yes - choose the train from Munich to Innsbruck via Mittenwald
Leave the Train in Seefeld Tirol - I'll pick you up there!
Then I´ll show you some good landscapes by car or scooter and leave the next day to Salzburg. - maybe I´ll go with you by car.

Then I´ll show you some good landscapes by car or scooter and leave the next day to Salzburg. - maybe I´ll go with you by car.

This is most kind. Unbelievably nice people I shall meet on this trip!

Best way to travel is to use the ICE-train (I - C - E, not like the word "ice". In German it is pronounced like "ee - zeh - eh") which connects most of the big cities.
It's not really cheap but fast and pretty reliable, in contrast to the regular trains.

It takes you about 4 hrs. to get from Frankfurt to Berlin with the ICE and about 6 and a half hrs. from Berlin to Munich.

Each ticket will probably be about €120,-. Perhaps you Eurail pass will reduce those costs, I don't know.

Intercity trains are a little cheaper but need much longer (about 10 hrs. from Berlin to Munich).

S/U Bahn is only good for local transport.

Hi guys/gals

That's a Thursday. Depending on the time of the day you'll arrive, I'll be there. Chances are good I can make it, Thursday is my day off this term.
Would be great to meet you there and then...

depending on which european countries you want to travel to a EUrail pass would definitely be cheaper than buying tickets seperately.
And as far as i understand, you already own such a ticket so you only need to board those ICE trains and don't need to buy any additional ticket.
Eurail pass includes: Germany’s regional (RE, RB, IR), InterCity (IC), EuroCity (EC) trains, high-speed trains (ICE, ICE Sprinter).
So for Frankfurt -> Berlin i recommend ICE Sprinter
Berlin -> Munich = ICE

For S/U-Bahn (suburban-train/subway) you need to buy a seperate ticket since the EUrail pass does not include those. Depending on whether you want to stay in the city or go outside the ticket price will differ.

That's a Thursday. Depending on the time of the day you'll arrive, I'll be there. Chances are good I can make it, Thursday is my day off this term.
Would be great to meet you there and then...

Cool. Shall drop you a PM and we can plan from there Kent :)

depending on which european countries you want to travel to a EUrail pass would definitely be cheaper than buying tickets seperately.
And as far as i understand, you already own such a ticket so you only need to board those ICE trains and don't need to buy any additional ticket.
Eurail pass includes: Germany’s regional (RE, RB, IR), InterCity (IC), EuroCity (EC) trains, high-speed trains (ICE, ICE Sprinter).
So for Frankfurt -> Berlin i recommend ICE Sprinter
Berlin -> Munich = ICE

For S/U-Bahn (suburban-train/subway) you need to buy a seperate ticket since the EUrail pass does not include those. Depending on whether you want to stay in the city or go outside the ticket price will differ.

This is good information that will help me in planning. Thank you so much!

Hi

we were thinking of staying a night in salzburg den travel down to innsbruck for another night or 2, but from your comments, it seems like a day trip to salzburg is possible?
So if we were to plan 3 days 2 night or 3 days 3 nights, what should be the best plan for salzburg n innsbruck?

Back