Hanoi viewed through Leica M

typical hanoi beverage station
A nice one. I love to hang-out at a similar road-side coffee shop near where I stay in Ho Chi Minh City. Strangely enough, the kids prefer foreign and Vietnamese-owned
chain stores, like Starbucks, Phuc Long, and Highlands Coffee.

Thanks,
I think chain stores and local stores will co-exist.
Sometimes when I need to meet customers in a fancy places, I would go to STarbucks or similar shops.

A nice one. I love to hang-out at a similar road-side coffee shop near where I stay in Ho Chi Minh City. Strangely enough, the kids prefer foreign and Vietnamese-owned
chain stores, like Starbucks, Phuc Long, and Highlands Coffee.

Some great photos above. Thanks all for posting.
@out to lunch: I got to visit Caravell roof top one day, looks amazing. Do you have any photos of the city take from there,

@Nick: Ninh Bình province is fantastic, isn't it?

Hi Trung, a view from the Caravelle rooftop bar:

Downtown Saigon dates back to the French colonial days. It has not only survived but all the landmark buildings have been renovated and preserved or replaced by similar
structures: on the far right, the spires of the cathedral, which is now undergoing major renovations; on the right, the Continental Hotel where Graham Greene drank his
whiskey and wrote the first chapters of The Quiet American; in the middle, the Eden Building which was wrecked and then rebuilt in the same style -unfortunately, it lost
the famous Eden Cinema, and on the left, the Rex Hotel. During the war, it served as a USA officer billet and was also the venue where the US Army briefed the press
corps -aptly named by them as the 'five 'o-clock follies'. Nikon FM3A - AIs Nikkor 2.8/28 - Ifinity Uxi 200.

Some more pictures taken from the Caravelle roof top bar:

A view over Nguyen Hue Boulevard before it was transformed into a pedestrian street. In the background, Saigon Center, which was built just before the economic downturn in 2008, and was one of the first high rise buildings in the city.

Rooftops with the dominant VinCom Center buildings to the right. After it was completed, city planners changed their mind and destined Dong Khoi Street as a low to medium high building area. Instead, Le Loi and Nguyen Hue Boulevards were chosen as the future high rise business style venues.

A similar view over Nguyen Hue Boulevard with a jumble of individual houses and businesses. Many of these have been demolished to make way for high rise developments. Land prices in this area are very high. Some have complained about current city developments but I am not one of them. Vietnam has one of the fastest growing populations in the world and they can't live in nostalgia. PS. These pics were taken with the original Fuji X-100, which is, even today, a competent camera for urban landscape exploration. Cheers, OtL

Hi OTL;

Thanks for informative descriptions, and great photos also.
I am also in the side of promoting city development, as many can see that we've changed dramatically since end of the civil war in 1975.
The concern here is how to mitigate the down side of rapid development.

Some more pictures taken from the Caravelle roof top bar:

A view over Nguyen Hue Boulevard before it was transformed into a pedestrian street. In the background, Saigon Center, which was built just before the economic downturn in 2008, and was one of the first high rise buildings in the city.

Rooftops with the dominant VinCom Center buildings to the right. After it was completed, city planners changed their mind and destined Dong Khoi Street as a low to medium high building area. Instead, Le Loi and Nguyen Hue Boulevards were chosen as the future high rise business style venues.

A similar view over Nguyen Hue Boulevard with a jumble of individual houses and businesses. Many of these have been demolished to make way for high rise developments. Land prices in this area are very high. Some have complained about current city developments but I am not one of them. Vietnam has one of the fastest growing populations in the world and they can't live in nostalgia. PS. These pics were taken with the original Fuji X-100, which is, even today, a competent camera for urban landscape exploration. Cheers, OtL

An old-style alleyway -Binh Thanh District.

New-style -crossing the Saigon Bridge -with Vinhomes Central Park and the Landmark 81 tower in the background.

Hello Rayt, unfortunately, I don't have photos of the dragon bridge. I've had a look and these are some of the shots I took in, or near Da Nang:

Cheers, Out to Lunch

Nice! The last one is brilliant. I have only ever spent a few days in Da Nang, always in a hurry to get to Hoi An from the airport.

Back