Have you been to Wetzlar recently? Worth it?

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
1:08 PM
I am contemplating to somehow convince my better half that "it is a good idea to stop at Wetzlar" during our trip to Germany in 2016. :D
Is it really worth a visit?
The Global Communications Director of the Leica AG suggested once to me that their Museum and paying homage to Leica's history were worth a visit.
Have you been to Wetzlar?

20140703_1_1.jpg

img_L2ZtLzgxOS90aHVtYm5haWxzL0NPTl81MTM3ODYzMTdfNTUyMjFfTS5qcGcuMjE0NjE4MDUuanBn_L2ZtLzgxOS90aHVtYm5haWxzL0NPTl81MTM3ODYzMTdfNTUyMjFfTS5qcGcuMjE0NjE4MDguanBn.jpg

from their web page

Apparently it's the only place in the world with a Leica outlet store...! Better check the hours before going, as I believe it's not open every day (the outlet store).

I don't own a Leica, and I'd go there. From others photos I've seen of the place it looks very interesting.

PF

I would like to get a VIP tour of the place (somehow!). I want to chat with Oliver Kaltner about Leica in Wetzlar.

The same highway that takes you from Frankfurt am Main to Wetzlar, also continues to Jena. Zeiss Jena comes to mind ...

Raid

When Are you going? I'll be in Switzerland in April and May.
I have a friend to visit in Frankfurt which is not too far away.
What are the chances or a fun RFF meeting?

In that photo I am - honest! Black Leica III with a VIDOM finder and a 9cm Fat Elmar. I think Oskar would have approved.

Confess: did you honor Barnack with a moment of silence and prayer?! :D

"May all your camera designs and products outlive any digital nonsense ..."

I was in Germany last Oct for 3 weeks. The other 3 persons (my wife included :) ) in my group were not interested in going to Wetzlar so I missed it.

I did want to see the Zeiss plant. Missed it.

The ladies did get to see the Käthe Wohlfahrt stores in Rothenburg AND Oberammergau :D

We did try to see the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart but is was closed on Mondays. Make sure you check their hours!

I was in Germany last Oct for 3 weeks. The other 3 persons (my wife included :) ) in my group were not interested in going to Wetzlar so I missed it.

I did want to see the Zeiss plant. Missed it.

The ladies did get to see the Käthe Wohlfahrt stores in Rothenburg AND Oberammergau :D

We did try to see the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart but is was closed on Mondays. Make sure you check their hours!

I have been once to the Mercedes Museum In Stuttgart. They have some beautiful cars there. One was a huge cabrio.

Back