Have you been to Wetzlar recently? Worth it?

It is difficult to plan ahead several months, but I must do it for my travels.
It would be great to meet up again, Kent.

Hmm... This thing is tempting. Won't they limit the access to factory facilities to a very restricted group? If there is a chance, I may check how much that trip from Norway would cost. Meeting you guys would be a further incentive..

WOW! All the way ... from Norway.
They asked me for the number, Andrea, and they did not say what the limit is. I think that in the end this will be a VIP tour.

I remember back in the seventies that you could take a Leitz photo course in Wetzlar. As part of the course you got to use the Leica gear of your choice and wander about town shooting whatever you liked. If memory is correct the film was developed and printed for you with print critique at the end of the course.

Sure regret not doing it back then, wonder if any of the older crowd here ever took the course?

Glenn

I was fortunate to attend the Leica School in Wetzlar in 1972 at the tender age of 16! I talked my Dad into making an excursion to Wetzlar while visiting relatives in the Cologne area. It was a great experience. I returned in 1984 and 1986 to attend the Leica Masters course in Wetzlar as a dealer. Over the years, I have been back at least a dozen times, the last time in 2006 for the intro of the M8.

It is worth the trip, to walk in Barnack's footsteps in the old town, to see the Eisenmarkt and other areas he photographed, the old factory, the Leitz family home, Barnack's house and of course Leitz Park.

Lars Netopil is a personal friend and a wonderful person to know in the world of Leica. His shop is small but impressive. He is the VP of Leica Historica.

I wish I could join you all! It is worth making the pilgrimage to Wetzlar if you are serious about Leica.:)

Thank you for the encouragement to visit Wetzlar. You are obviously very knowledgeable on Leica in Wetzlar.

Thank you for the encouragement to visit Wetzlar. You are obviously very knowledgeable on Leica in Wetzlar.

Indeed!:)
Leica dealer, Past President of the LHSA, current Editor LHSA Viewfinder and conceptualist/designer of the LHSA Black Paint, Hammertone and MP3

The Leica is part of my soul!

It is great that you joined this thread. How do you read the Leica CEO's "welcome invitation" to us? Is this business as usual or is this "special customer service"?

One never knows what business as usual is in Wetzlar.

I would say they are making a special effort to meet with you. Getting to see the CEO is a plus. Not sure what might come of it, but you are certainly not dealing with a lower level person.

Attitudes have changed in Germany over the years in general. More customer oriented, friendlier. Forty years ago, they were all very "proper", and would never have met with the mere mortals who bought or were enthused about Leica. As a teenager in the early 70's, this was certainly the feeling of the place. Even in the 80's, things had not changed much. Over the years, I have made many freinds past and present with Leica Germany and USA. Eventually, you become part of the Leica family. The friends you make on your trip this Summer to Wetzlar will pay off many years in the future. That has been my experience.

Always remember they are prople too, with families and lives apart from Leica, even though that is their job it might not always be their passion. But there are still many at Leica who have the Leica passion. If you can connect on a personal level with them, they will always remember you in a positive way.

I think that having me communicate with them in German helped a little to get the CEO to welcome us all.

Back