Have you been to Wetzlar recently? Worth it?

Is anyone interested in a brief RFF meeting after 1PM in Wetzlar for June 1?
Of course, it is "brief" only in my case! Stay as long as your heart desires it.

As long as my job allows, I'm definitely in! :)

Should I stare to spare a little bit just in case there is an "interesting" shop around there? :)
robert
PS: of course I mean T-shirts and...

There is the store dierctly in the main building.

But if you are interested in finding a special (also used) item, one of the greatest Leica experts has a store in Wetzlar as well, Lars Netopil.
You will find his shop about 10 minutes away by car, right in the centre of the town, close to the cathedral-like church - and within walking distance from a great little café. ;)

Just contact him beforehand and I'm sure he will try to find something for you.

http://www.lars-netopil.com/en/index.html

Would be interested in hearing your general feedback of the experience and the kinds of other people that you meet who are also visiting there. I can't decide if this visit would be a good idea or not. It could either be really interesting or a total turn off but yet I can't explain why somehow.

Everytime I went there (I live only about half an hour driving away) the Leica staff was extremely nice and helpful. Last time I was allowed to test shoot the new SL with the 24-90 and they also gave me an M-adapter to click my M-lenses to the cam.

(My German blog entry about that experience: )
https://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/super-lengendaer/

The other visitors I have met there were also very friendly. Somhow each of them had that special "blink" in their eyes, somthing like "Wow! I have just seen the item I have been dreaming about for years!" ;)
Perhaps this shimmering in their eyeballs is what they call the "Leica glow". LOL

I emailed the Leica dealership and prominent camera dealer in Wetzlar. He will have his shop open on June 1 from 3:30PM-6:30Pm. Someone pointed him out to me for a visit.

Raid

http://lars-netopil.com/en/index.html

..am Mittwoch den 01. Juni 2016 haben wir von 15.30h bis 18.30h geöffnet. Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch.

frdl. Grüsse L. Netopil

Lars Netopil Classic Cameras
www.lars-netopil.com

LEICA-STORE® WETZLAR-ALTSTADT

Thanks Kent for your blog post, for sure an interesting experience.
robert
PS: hmm, I feel a possible GAS attack next summer...:)

I emailed the Leica dealership and prominent camera dealer in Wetzlar. He will have his shop open on June 1 from 3:30PM-6:30Pm. Someone pointed him out to me for a visit.

Raid

http://lars-netopil.com/en/index.html

..am Mittwoch den 01. Juni 2016 haben wir von 15.30h bis 18.30h geöffnet. Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch.

frdl. Grüsse L. Netopil

Lars Netopil Classic Cameras
www.lars-netopil.com

LEICA-STORE® WETZLAR-ALTSTADT

So, let's meet there, Raid!

I know Lars personally and even consider him to be a friend.
He has amazing items in his store and if you send him a list of item that you are interested in beforehand, I'm sure he will try to get them for you.

Everytime I went there (I live only about half an hour driving away) the Leica staff was extremely nice and helpful. Last time I was allowed to test shoot the new SL with the 24-90 and they also gave me an M-adapter to click my M-lenses to the cam.

(My German blog entry about that experience: )
https://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/super-lengendaer/

The other visitors I have met there were also very friendly. Somhow each of them had that special "blink" in their eyes, somthing like "Wow! I have just seen the item I have been dreaming about for years!" ;)
Perhaps this shimmering in their eyeballs is what they call the "Leica glow". LOL

Thanks for that information and link Kent, very much appreciated.

A bit late to report about visiting Wetzlar but my experience was awesome. Nerded out during their 100 Years of Leica exhibition back in September of 2014. Lots of cool gear on display, I was there on a Saturday so the assembly area was empty although you could see the immaculately clean work spaces. The retail store employee was nice enough to give me the new M Magazine Vol. 1 for free since they didn't have an English version in stock. None of the repair technicians were working on weekends as I was asking about getting a black dot for my M6 hanging from my shoulder, all of the representatives advised to call back during weekdays to inquire about spare parts.

The updated visit date seems to become May 31 and leave on June 1, but of course, this happens to be good for me on my trip, and other people here may find better suited dates.

I''ve posted these before but it seems historically appropriate to do it again.
LEICAGLASS-X2.jpg

m6assembly-X2.jpg

leicatesting.jpg

Update on Leica visit

Update on Leica visit

I have an update on my "crazy plan" to meet in Wetzlar. The Global Communications Officer for Leica sent me an email about it last evening. She proposed a detailed itinerary at Leica, with CEO interview and factory visit, plus Museum tour, and lunch and then coffee in the afternoon ...

The plan is to have May 31 as the main Leica day for a tour and for meeting some executives at Leica AG.

Please let me or Robert know who can attend a half day tour of Leica on May 31.
This could be a VIP tour.

Tuesday fits me even better (unless there will be one of those dreadful conferences we regularly have).

Back