(High credibility rumor) The new Leica mirrorless

I like the M ergonomics, even if many consider it retro. I'm not sure I like that of the Leicaflex and hope Leica isn't making it in that form or in an intentionally retro style just because everyone else is doing retro...

I think the SLR style body is seen as "professional" by amateurs hence the very popular Sony A7 and Fuji XT1.
Looks like Leica is cashing in on this trend. I'm curious what similarities the image processing engine will have with the new Q and what that may imply for the next M.

love eveything about this idea, everything, except that it might not accept M lenses. if its mirrorless, i just dont understand that and hope its not true. this would be a great vehicle for accurate focusing of 90-135mm leica glass.

I can't imagine it won't accept M lenses... just maybe not without an adapter. I look forward to seeing what it comes up with.

I see it costing a lot more than the Sony .... and basically offering nothing extra except the fact that it is a Leica. I'm not convinced about the Solms elves venturing into this market ... it's very competitive!

Hmmm. $8000. Unless it is replacing the M, this just doesn't make sense to me. It's going to be really tough playing in the mirrorless marketplace with an $8,000 dollar camera. Even if it says, "Leica," on the nameplate.

Hmmm. $8000. Unless it is replacing the M, this just doesn't make sense to me. It's going to be really tough playing in the mirrorless marketplace with an $8,000 dollar camera. Even if it says, "Leica," on the nameplate.

One would think, but I see many people in the Leica store buying Leica cameras without knowing anything about them... there are people out there who have a lot of money and who like brand names. Remember, Leica isn't competing with Sony. Whether we like it or not, they are a luxury brand that has acted like one for awhile now.

That's a fairly poor photo of a Leicaflex SL. It's a much nicer looking camera than that would lead you to believe. If Leica is looking to provide a good body for the excellent Leica R lenses, a Leicaflex SL lookalike and workalike will do well by me.

The only negative comment about the original Leicaflex SL/SL II I can make is that they're a mite bit on the heavy side. Other than that, it's one of my all time favorite SLR bodies. Something that looks and feels the same (at about 40% less weight...) would be a delightful camera.

G

My insight is they have to make more profits so if this product or others like it get them to a more profitable bottom-line then go for it. Of course the more wiser photographer do not have to buy into it, or do, BUT if it gets us the products/R&D to what we want then its a win win for all and the Hollywood/Leica jewelry buyers can be happy as well…. thus its a good thing…. D.

I see it costing a lot more than the Sony .... and basically offering nothing extra except the fact that it is a Leica. I'm not convinced about the Solms elves venturing into this market ... it's very competitive!

You obviously never shot much with a Sony A7. If you like working with half-finished science projects which loose half their value in short order, they are wonderful.

That's the only competition.

They don't have to sell more cameras. They only have to sell the ones they make.

Based on how the Q is doing, looks like a smart move to me.

Not that I want one, LOL AF gives me nausea.

You obviously never shot much with a Sony A7. If you like working with half-finished science projects which loose half their value in short order, they are wonderful.

That's the only competition.

Yeah, the results from a Sony are fine, but they are not that fun to use. I still use one sometimes though.

I'd love to know where they are going to make all these new lenses...Portugal?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Sony has struggled with build quality of their lenses. The A7 is best in "Q" mode: put the 35/2.8 or 55/1.8 native on there and leave it. That's where the strongest results come from...well, now there is a great 90 as well. But the natives are famous for copy variation, and unlike the Q, they are no fun to MF.

Think of this: you want to make a quick landscape on a walk. With a M9, you whip out the 28 (which is a subpar FL on the Sony) high the infinity stop at F/8 and pow. With A7 and it's 35/2.8.....if you lucked out and got a good one.....you can hold it up and point it, autofocus and shoot. But where did it focus? The camera can be fickle in this situation. So, you MF, but....no infinity stop. You hit the magnifier, and.....NOISE....this is no patch LOL. You use the peaking and you frame thinking you are in a video game.

Sony's oblivious oversight in design of the focus by wire on the FE 35/2.8 defies belief. A literal headache. And for others....an opportunity.

I think lenses would be made in Japan (speculation!) It would make sense however to adopt the policy that Leitz Microsystems and Zeiss follow to make only the "specials" in Germany and to outsource the routine production.

I'd love to know where they are going to make all these new lenses...Portugal?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Sony has struggled with build quality of their lenses. The A7 is best in "Q" mode: put the 35/2.8 or 55/1.8 native on there and leave it. That's where the strongest results come from...well, now there is a great 90 as well. But the natives are famous for copy variation, and unlike the Q, they are no fun to MF.

Think of this: you want to make a quick landscape on a walk. With a M9, you whip out the 28 (which is a subpar FL on the Sony) high the infinity stop at F/8 and pow. With A7 and it's 35/2.8.....if you lucked out and got a good one.....you can hold it up and point it, autofocus and shoot. But where did it focus? The camera can be fickle in this situation. So, you MF, but....no infinity stop. You hit the magnifier, and.....NOISE....this is no patch LOL. You use the peaking and you frame thinking you are in a video game.

Sony's oblivious oversight in design of the focus by wire on the FE 35/2.8 defies belief. A literal headache. And for others....an opportunity.

Dude... that is completely sarcastic blather. If you can't use af ....ok fine.
Making it sound like a handycap is just plain silly :p
The Sony is a peice of cake to use with native lenses and... it gives great results.
You just hate it because you wanted to love it more than you do :angel:

I like the M ergonomics, even if many consider it retro. I'm not sure I like that of the Leicaflex and hope Leica isn't making it in that form or in an intentionally retro style just because everyone else is doing retro...

I love the Leicaflex. Of course, I love the M cameras as well.
The Leicaflex just fits my hands so well, best SLR as far as I'm concerned.

Dude... that is completely sarcastic blather. If you can't use af ....ok fine.
Making it sound like a handycap is just plain silly :p
The Sony is a peice of cake to use with native lenses and... it gives great results.
You just hate it because you wanted to love it more than you do :angel:

I'd argue that if you actually want to accurately focus fast or wider Leica lenses on any body, E-mount is the way to go. Has anyone tried focusing with off-center composition with a Noctilux or 75mm Summilux? It's next to impossible on the M.

The A7's AF isn't great, it's flexible but not particularly fast in any scenario. Getting used to peaking and shooting manual provides a consistently more reliable experience.

But I agree on the viewfinder hump. A EVF in the RF window location is easier to use for shorter lenses. For long lenses (100mm+) I would want the VF to be on the imaging axis, though.

I'd argue that if you actually want to accurately focus fast or wider Leica lenses on any body, E-mount is the way to go. Has anyone tried focusing with off-center composition with a Noctilux or 75mm Summilux? It's next to impossible on the M.

The A7's AF isn't great, it's flexible but not particularly fast in any scenario. Getting used to peaking and shooting manual provides a consistently more reliable experience.

But I agree on the viewfinder hump. A EVF in the RF window location is easier to use for shorter lenses. For long lenses (100mm+) I would want the VF to be on the imaging axis, though.

Hmm. When I had the Summilux-M 75mm f/1.4 ASPH and used it with my Leica M6TTL, I had no problems focusing and framing with it. I don't know why it would be "impossible" on the M ...?

G

Back