(High credibility rumor) The new Leica mirrorless

Most of the talk here has revolved around another M lens system, which it could be. I'd think it would be just as likely to be a move to un-orphan all those orphaned R lenses out there. The photo above lends some credence to that, possibly. Or, not.

'Leicarumors' has said that the new SL (if that's actually what it will be named) is going to accept both M-mount lenses, and also a different autofocus lens. So the body will be able to use existing M lenses, plus a new autofocus series of products. They also said it will be released before Christmas 2015, ahead of Photokina 2016.

Also -- and this is a biggie -- supposedly they're eliminating the optical rangefinder. It will have a back-panel screen and hybrid viewfinder like the Fuji X100 series. I have no idea how this is going to be implemented or what the user experience will be like. It sounds kind of odd to me.

From what I remember reading, the sensor in the 'SL' will be the same as the M 240, although Leica is developing a brand new sensor to compete with the Sony A7rII. This new sensor will not be ready before 2016.

But what do I know. Of course, all of this could be complete BS.

Here's the website in case anybody's interested:

http://leicarumors.com/

I just can't do the $8000 for a digital camera anymore. I mean, I can afford it I guess, but I don't want to. However, years later on the used market I might consider it.

i didnt see the $8 grand price tag. so their premium has previously been justified in part because of the supposed difficulty of digital rangefinder engineering. so now theyll be charging an even larger premium for not utilizing that engineering. i know some psuedo scientists will weigh in on this, but i will still be scratching my head...i can get to a place where i consider the leica-name premium, but ive always had issues with the added leica-assuming-dumb-consumer premium. ):

nonetheless, im still glued to my tv for this new episode.

Also -- and this is a biggie -- supposedly they're eliminating the optical rangefinder. It will have a back-panel screen and hybrid viewfinder like the Fuji X100 series. I have no idea how this is going to be implemented or what the user experience will be like. It sounds kind of odd to me.http://leicarumors.com/

This, Dr. Evil, has come to pass. Look at the X-100T, which can inset an electronic RF window in the lower right corner of an optical VF. You can very effectively simulate a rangefinder by driving split image focusing off a phase-detect sensor. Which probably also means that the reason why the Q is so fast is that it is using phase-detection AF.

Dante

If they remove the optical rangefinder, there is simply nothing they can do with a computer to justify this thing costing $8 grand. Perhaps if the thing was machined from a solid block of titanium by Martian technicians; but, otherwise. Nah.

Interesting article from Thorsten Overgaard with some historical background that might provide a basis for thought about the new coming Leica camera:

http://overgaard.dk/Leica-Camera-Typ-601.html

Also noted in a Japanese publication, Panasonic mentions making many parts for the new Leica SL.

And also a Japanese publication mentions three new Leica lenses to be introduced:
Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH
Leica Apo-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4
Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4/50 mm ASPH

Some expectation online that it will utilize the T bayonet mount, take T lenses in a crop mode, and M and R lenses with adapters.

so, I can see a X-T1 style camera, but with fullframe sensor, in the S-line style design.
uncluttered.

will be competing with the A sony's

AF for who needs it,

my DMR can ev. be retired,

hope the new leica does 16bit raw too, and ... better buy the R-lenses you wanted, before the announcement, i can see R prices climbing again. i'm glad i held onto some gems in OM mount and R mount.

Back